Monday, February 10, 2014

MONDAY'S MUSINGS: CABIN FEVER AND CREATIVITY




“Oh the weather outside is frightful,
But the fire is so delightful,
And since we've no place to go,
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

It doesn't show signs of pausing,
And I've bought some corn for popping,
The lights are turned way down low,
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!”


Lyricist, Sammy Cahn and the composer Jule Styne wrote Let It Snow in 1945. Inspiration being what it is, no doubt Sammy Cahn had some experience with being snowed in and probably cabin fever. It's a song we most hear at Christmas although it's not, technically, a Christmas song.

  

Let it Snow was also used in the Bruce Willis film Die Hard (one of my favorite movies), when the hero, John McClane was traveling to meet his family at Christmas.  We can safely say that John didn't have cabin fever.  The ‘frightful’ weather didn't affect his creativity in the least. Yippee Ki-yay!


However, not all deal with cabin fever quite so creatively as Sammy Cahn or John McClane.

 

  • Does Cabin Fever affect your creativity?
  • Are you more creative at these times or less?

                                                                                                                          

Upcoming guests this week: 

Wednesday, February 12, Christy English will be talking about her life long romance with writing. Friday, February 14, Elizabeth Michels' topic is When Daily Life Turns Fiction.
                                                                                                                         

Additionally, I will be not be around on the 14th as I'm scheduled for out-patient (we hope) surgery. Not exactly how I envisioned spending Valentine's Day this year. I'll not be visiting blogs on that day but I will try to visit on Saturday--depending upon how I feel. 


18 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

I tend to be pretty productive just because I'm home more. I don't mind those times. I'd rather not be out battling the snow.

Good luck with your procedure.

Kat Sheridan said...

Wishing you all kinds of luck with your procedure and a quick recovery! And I tend not to get cabin fever. I can always find something creative to do, even if it's just baking something yummy!

Karen Walker said...

Dear Sia,
Good luck with your surgery Friday. Sending prayers and loving thoughts. I love to hole up in my home no matter what the season, so my creativity isn't really dependent on a time of year.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hope everything goes well with the surgery!

Pat Hatt said...

Being a hermit doesn't bother me, just means I get more done at my sea

L. Diane Wolfe said...

If my husband and other commitments didn't force me out of the house now and then, I'd never leave.

Good luck on Friday.

Jo said...

Good luck with your Friday surgery. Don't really have problems with cabin fever. Possibly because we have huge windows in our living area.

Not creative exactly, so doesn't affect that either.

cleemckenzie said...

I crave inclement weather. It gives me somewhat of a reason to stay inside and write or read. Otherwise, I'm out the door and on a trail. Of course, some of my best ideas have come on those trails. :-)

cleemckenzie said...

I crave inclement weather. It gives me somewhat of a reason to stay inside and write or read. Otherwise, I'm out the door and on a trail. Of course, some of my best ideas have come on those trails. :-)

cleemckenzie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
cleemckenzie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
cleemckenzie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
cleemckenzie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
~Sia McKye~ said...

Natalie--I'd much prefer home to battling snow, too!

Kat--Thank you. I'm not one to get bored. Like you, I always find something creative to do. :-)

Karen--I actually prefer to be home, most of the time.

Alex, Thank you. Me, too.

Pat--lol! a hermit crab, eh?

Diane--same here.

Jo--Lots of light and windows is always good. :-)

Lee--we've lived here for over 10 years and there are still trails I love to explore. I'm outside a lot. I have to admit, it's nice to curl up inside in inclement weather.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Thank you all for the well wishes. I appreciated them!

ChristyEnglish said...

I love that photo of an icy stream! What a great post

Rachel Morgan said...

I've never been in a position to have cabin fever (I don't live in a place where it's possible to be snowed in), but I can say that I love writing when the weather is bad. When it's dark and rainy and storming, I tend to get quite creative with my writing!

Slamdunk said...

I hope your surgery goes well.

The wintry weather means school delays and closures which certainly adds to the cabin fever here and reduces my productivity. Yuck.