With a little preparation, an evening at home can be a special romantic tryst; no matter how long or short of time you’ve been together. An early dinner, followed up with some favorite romantic movies. It sets the mood for love and romance.
I thought I’d share a restaurant quality dinner that is special in our house. You can make it fancy or relaxed.
A candlelight dinner with a nicely set table makes it special.
- 2 (4 ounce) filet mignon steaks
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper to taste
salt to taste.
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup dry red wine (I used a Merlot instead or for different taste you can use sherry)
- ¼ cup of crumble blue cheese (or you can use Gogonzola)
- 1 tablespoon of sugar (I used brown sugar but white works too)
- 2 cloves of garlic-minced
Let the filets rest at room temperature for an hour prior to cooking. Salt and pepper. Broil to desired taste. Place on a warm plate to rest and distribute the juices evenly.In a saucepan add Balsamic vinegar, wine, minced garlic, sugar and reduce to a thick syrupy mixture—about 10 minutes. (Don’t reduce too far or it could burn) About half way through this process, lightly top the fillets with cheese and place it in the broiler a couple of minutes until the cheese melts.
Place steaks on a warmed plate, drizzle some of the balsamic syrup mixture over the top of the steaks and serve. You can put the remainder of the mixture in small serving cups and place beside the plates.
I served it with Steamed Asparagus and Red Potatoes. It would go well with a salad and baked potatoes too or a nice rice dish.
A nice Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons coffee-flavored liqueur
- 18 ladyfingers
- 1/3 cup chilled espresso
- 1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- Cut off the tops of the strawberries and slice the berries. Reserve 2 large whole berries for garnish.
- In a blender, place 2 cups of strawberries and 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar; blend to puree and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine mascarpone cheese, 1/4-cup cream, 1/4-cup sugar, and liqueur; beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes until thickened.
- Place 6 ladyfingers on a serving plate and brush each with approximately 1-teaspoon cold espresso coffee. Spread or pipe out 1/2 of the cheese mixture over the ladyfingers, and layer with half of the sliced strawberries.
- Repeat with the next 6 ladyfingers, espresso, remaining cheese mixture, and sliced strawberries; top with remaining 6 ladyfingers.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine 1/4-cup heavy cream with 2 tablespoons sugar; beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until just whipped, approximately 1 minute. Spread cream evenly over top layer of ladyfingers.
- Dust cocoa over whipped cream, and garnish with 2 reserved strawberries. Pour strawberry puree onto two serving plates. Cut tiramisu in half, and place onto puree.
Romantic Movie Suggestions:
Sleepless in Seattle
50 First Dates
- What are some of your favorite Romantic Recipes or Movies?
- WRITERS: How you add sensual touches (using the senses) to your writing when writing Romance?
Friday, I'll share a few more recipes for a special dinner Tryst.