Friday, January 10, 2014

LOOK WHAT THE HURRICANE BLEW IN: CHRYS FEY


What I like about my guest, Chrys Fey, is she's had to reinvent herself as a writer several times. She's faced a major writing block and overcome it. Chrys has learn much about writing and applied those lessons to her writing. She's faced some tough obstacles and while she may have felt like giving up, she didn't. Instead, she decided she wanted to help and inspired other writers to overcome those problems and started Write With Fey blog in 2012. If you get the chance, do take a look at some of her writing tips from lessons she's learned. 



Chrys, thank you for being here today. Tell me a bit about you.  Love of your life? Kids? Day job?

I don't have kids, maybe someday, but the loves of my life are my nephews.  They are seven and six years old and stole my heart the moment I met them as newborns. [you can read more about Chrys' nephew here.]

Cole and Clover
Milo and Otis
I live in Florida with my recently adopted four kittens. My day job is writing. Although that doesn’t exactly pay, I am blessed with the situation I have that allows me to write freely.


You've been writing for some years, how long have you had the goal to be published? 

I was seventeen when I seriously started to pursue publication, but ever since I was twelve I dreamed of being an author.

How did you go about making that a reality? 

First, I immersed myself in research to find out exactly what I had to do to get published. Then I went on the long journey to build my publishing credentials; a must for all first-time writers. I sent short stories to dozens of magazines and ezines, received countless rejections, and was lucky enough to have a few short stories published online. I also focused heavily on blogging and Facebook, working hard to build some kind of following. Finally, I decided I would have to break into publishing with one of my romance stories, instead of the supernatural-thriller series I was querying, and shortly after I sent my manuscript to The Wild Rose Press I was awarded with a publishing contract.

What's easiest (or hardest) for you-dialogue, plot, character, or something else?
All of the above are pretty easy for me. Whenever I get an idea for a story, the full plot quickly follows. My favorite part is definitely character building. The hardest part would have to be editing, because it’s so extensive and involves several rounds that become tiresome.
As a writer, how do you deal with doubts and setbacks?

I freak out. haha Then I talk it out with the two people who I know will listen: my best friend and my mom. After that I take a long, deep breath, say a prayer, give myself a pep talk, and then push forward with even more determination than before.

What is it about this genre that draws you in?

Hurricane Crimes is a romantic-suspense and everything about this genre draws me in! I love heart-pounding suspense and the intoxicating buzz of romance. For me, it’s the best of both worlds. 

Without spoiling the story, what was your favorite scene? Or what draws you to your two main characters? 

My favorite scene in Hurricane Crimes is when Beth Kennedy goes outside, into the harsh wind and rain of a category 5 hurricane to rescue Donovan Goldwyn.

I’ll answer your other question as well. :) Beth’s unbelievable strength and Donovan’s mystery, which could be a killer, drew me to them the moment the story idea for Hurricane Crimes touched down in my mind.

What’s coming next? When will be see it?

I am coming out with my second romantic-suspense, a novelette, titled 30 Seconds. When a woman finds herself in the middle of a war between police officers and a mob, 30 seconds is a long time. You can expect to see it come out on Amazon sometime this summer.


Chrys, thank you for taking the time to answer a few questions and let us get to know you a bit better!

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

BUY: AMAZON
HURRICANE CRIMES 

After her car breaks down, Beth Kennedy is forced to stay in Florida, the target of Hurricane Sabrina. She stocks up supplies, boards up windows, and hunkers down to wait out the storm, but her plan unravels when she witnesses a car accident. Risking her life, she braves the winds to save the driver. Just when she believes they are safe, she finds out the man she saved could possibly be more dangerous than the severe weather. 

Donovan Goldwyn only wanted to hide from the police, but the hurricane shoved his car into a tree. Now he's trapped with a beautiful woman while the evidence that can prove his innocence to a brutal crime is out there for anyone to find.

As Hurricane Sabrina wreaks havoc, Beth has no other choice but to trust Donovan to stay alive. But will she survive, or will she become another hurricane crime?



                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Chrys Fey’s debut, Hurricane Crimes, was published by The Wild Rose Press. Mid 2014, she will be coming out with her second romantic-suspense eBook, 30 Seconds. She created the blog Write with Fey to offer aspiring writers advice and inspiration. She lives in Florida where she is ready to battle the next hurricane that comes her way. You can find Chrys: BlogFacebookGoodreads