Monday, January 13, 2014

MONDAY MUSINGS—LOVE AND DEVOTION


Gidget, one of my Great Danes, and Callie. Typical sight of an evening.


A funny thing about love and devotion is those qualities are not reserved to two legged creatures. 

Observation, over the years, has taught me there is a strong bond of love and devotion
Part of my pride of cats. Callie is in the right rear of the
group.
between animals. I know there is a pecking order among animals (and between people, for that matter) and that's true whether they're cats, dogs, horses, even chickens. There are animals that tend to draw together in groups like horses and dogs. There is a lot of affection between pack members of dogs and in herds of horses. Cats are a bit more solitary, but even cats are affectionate toward one another, especially when large numbers live together. If you watch they touch and groom one another. There is a greeting ritual
—certain sounds and body language. I suspect it’s a way peace is kept between them, renewing the bonds of belonging. 

In almost every group, I've seen the buddy system. Certain personalities are drawn together and you see love and affection develop and when they lose that companion to death there is a true grieving period over the loss. Certain pairings who draw close to one another and spend time with one another. Where you see one you see the other. It's not exclusive to same species.

Something to keep in mind when you write about animals or if you write paranormal and you write about animal shifters it’s important to maintain some reality in the animal side of them and their interactions and reactions.

Callie, as a kitten, about to groom Gidget's face.
Callie still grooms Gidget. January 2014
My Dane, Gidget, is very close to one of our cats, Callie. This affectionate bond developed shortly after they met. Gidget was almost two when tiny Callie came to live with us as a kitten. Gidget was fascinated with this little furball. Callie loves Gidget and while careful because Gidget is huge and when she moves she’s a force to be reckoned with—especially that tail of hers. It’s like a whip when she’s happy and wagging it. I know because it’s stung my leg on occasion not to mention knocking things off of low surfaces. While Callie is aware of Gidget when she’s on the move, she’s never shied away from Gidget. Callie waits for Gidget to lie down and then she comes over and talks to her and loves on her. She tends to curl up on Gidget’s back or her shoulder. Gidget hold very still while Callie gets comfortable and has learned not to drench her with her tongue. J They’re buddies. They’re also my office companions. Gidget tends to stay within four feet of me wherever I am and Callie is usually right there.



Callie as a three month old kitten.


   
Gidget, as a 2 month old pup. She's watching
a bird fluttering around the bird feeder.













Isn't love something to behold?

18 comments:

writing for pleasure said...

Great post and pics to match.

Yvonne.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Loved seeing Callie and Gidget. I've never been around many animals in a group so it's good to know how they interact.

We just got our first puppy (my first dog) in April and I'm totally devoted to her. She's so sweet and loving. I can't imagine being without her now.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Oh my how I love furry friends. Callie is adorable!!!!

Kat Sheridan said...

Such charming photos and a lovely story! They're so cute! What you leave out, of course, is that they also consider YOU one of their pack. That's wonderful.

Stephen Tremp said...

Those cats look really menacing. Run. Hide. Lock the doors and windows. Hide the dogs!

Jo said...

So true Stephen. How many cats do you have Sia? Are they all indoor cats? Didn't know you were a crazy cat lady.

I miss not having animals, but in an apartment its not really a good idea although some people do have cats.

Karen Walker said...

Oooh, love these creatures and love how you talk about them. Our Blue Heeler/Border Collie, Buddy, doesn't have any animal creatures around to love, but he showers us with love and devotion.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's cute that they became buddies.
And you have a lot of cats!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That's so sweet. I wish our two cats got a long that well.

Johanna Garth said...

Such sweet friends! They both look like they're smiling for their photo op.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Thank you Yvonne.

Natalie-congrats on the new pup. Yah, they wore their way into your heart in nothing flat, don't they?

Keith--She is. Glad you have a few furry friends to love on too. :-)

Kat--lol! Yes they do consider me part of their pack, pride, and herd. :-) I do love them and they do bring me a great deal of pleasure. Of course there are those aggravating moments, too.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Stephen--lol! They do know how to put the dogs in their place.

Jo--I have 12 cats. And no, they don't all come inside. Three of them I chose to get. The rest have been rescue. My two oldest cats in the group are 14 and 16 and still moving very well for old ladies. The youngest, Budda Baby is about 4 months old and showed up at the house about 2 months ago. All skinny and bedraggled.

I'm a crazy animal person, lol!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Karen--Does he try to round you guys up when he wants you to do something? Had a friend whose Heeler would do that. :-)

Alex--yes, I enjoy watching them interact and yes, I do have a lot of cats and more than I ever intended to have.

Diane, they don't always get along well. Even in my pride of cats, there are those who fuss and spat. :-)

JoHanna--they were curious about the flash and I was talking to them. Gidget is partially deaf and so watches intently. She reads my body language quite well. :-)

Denise Covey said...

Lovely post and pictures. I love animals, especially horses and dogs. Love the way the homeless in Paris have dogs on their laps to get people to stop and give money.

Mark Koopmans said...

I seriously admire anyone who owns a Great Dane (lol, I originally wrote "Dame" but that would be a whole different post!!)

I love dogs, but the Danes are HUGE!!! so more power to you and it's great to see the cat and dog getting along so well :)

PS... yes, please stay away from those snow banks... hope all is well...

(PS... (reaches for another cold Blue Hawaiian) what's a snow bank?

~Sia McKye~ said...

DENISE-- Thank you. Most people are drawn to animals. I think we were made that way. I laugh when someone new stops by and sees my horses and exclaims over their beauty and then their eyes move to the Danes and then back at the horses. I tell them, yep, the Danes are the ones with the sharp teeth,just so you can tell the difference. :-)

Mark--they're sweethearts who tend to think they're lap dogs or in need of something to lean on. Like their humans. Once they get big they realize, as do you, they no longer fit on a lap. But damn if they don't try. :-) Nothing like having a huge head and neck laying in your lap. In case you're curious, that's about 20 inches of head and neck in Gidget's case. Yes, I've measured, lol!

One of these days I'll share some pictures of Gidget with my little Celtic Sprite (my grandniece)when she was two. Gidget has always been very gentle with little ones and in this case Gidget let us put her on Gidget's back. Now, that was a sight to behold.

As for the snowbank, wasn't my first choice or wading through thigh high drifted snow to get up the hill and to flat, but very fluffy, ground. Tow truck got it just like that, *snapping my fingers*

Hey, don't be hogging all the liquor, smart-arse.

Julie Flanders said...

What absolutely precious pictures. I love your fur babies!
My dog and cat are buddies too. Most of the time, at least. :D

klahanie said...

Hi Sia,

Yes, it's me, Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet superstar! Now this pawesome pawsting brough such warmth to my doggy heart.

We animals certainly have a buddy system which we have tried to convey to humans. Our unconditional, non-judgemental love is a lesson for humanity.

I write about a character I invented named Gary :)

Pawsitive wishes,

Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet superstar!