Monday, January 6, 2014

WHAT I WANT AND WHAT I GOT...

Due to circumstances beyond my control this will be a late Monday Musings and early IWSG (click to get a list of other participating blogs) I just combined the articles. I'll be visiting blogs over the next few days and cracking the whip to get back into blogging after some much needed time off.

WHAT I GOT THIS MORNING AT THE FEEDERS AND
WHAT I WANT IS THE LAST PICTURE.


I've noticed a difference in what I'd like to see happening and what is happening—what I want and what I got. For instance, my editing tasks. I've been helping hubs edit his book. It's a good story but lord have mercy, the man is heavy into he said/she said. That drives me nuts. He's actually very good with dialog but when he wrote these stories they were done with old school tags. Pulling his mind from then to now has been...a struggle. Magnum PI and Spencer meeting Burn Notice. Don't get me wrong, Magnum had some great story lines and some great oddball humor (and my husband loves oddball and corny humor) and Spencer did as well, but if they were written for today's market they'd have to have some major updating to grab the audience. Same genre different methods of telling. 

What I want is someone who likes to read those sorts of detective stories read for story content and word usage. What I got is me. 

Then there is my writing. Talk about insecurities and frustrations. I have two manuscripts completed in a series I wrote. Mine had to go on a major word diet. In fact the first in the series lost 10k. I was very proud of that. Now it's in pieces—kinda like Humpty-Dumpty with all king's horses and all the king's men at the ready to put it back together again but they've all gone into stasis waiting for the orders to proceed. Sigh....

What I want is free time to concentrate on that and what I've got is itty-bitty sound bytes of time to do it.

Then there is the weather. 

What I want is green and flowers. Like my brother Rob’s house in early May.



What I got is the heaviest snowfall in our area since 2002 and minus 2 this morning.



Hey, the sun is shining on this bright Monday and that’s good. It’s actually beautiful but wicked cold even with the temps up to almost 15 degrees, but the wind bites hard.

Hubs is bundled up in multi-layers of clothes (he loses 10 lbs and 10 inches once he peels that bundle off) and you can see how much we've accomplished after a couple hours of work. We haven't even started on the driveway to the roadwhich is also unplowed and likely to remain so, unless our neighbor decides to run his tractor over our road a mile down to the blacktop which is also not plowed. They rarely plow it. Getting anywhere is problematic.  

Then there is the driveway. 

What I want is a nice cleared driveway. What I got is this—can you even tell where the driveway is?



Uh, no. 

Just in case you're curious, curves around the little oak tree and out the break in the hedges. I'm standing in the cleared area to take this shot. 

We've already been out two hours this morning and barely have made a dent in clearing the snow from the garage so we can open the doors. It’s several more hours of shoveling time to get down to that break in the hedges.

And then come Wednesday afternoon we get more snow and sleet (I much prefer the snow over icy slush) and again over next weekend.

There you have it. The battle of wants and gots. I suspect it will be an ongoing battle this year, especially with writing.

What's your ongoing battle right now? 

Happy New Year!



WHAT I WANT TO SEE. TOMORROW WOULD
BE GOOD 



18 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

What driveway?
I want your snow. Care to trade?
When it comes to editing your husband's work, who is more patient - him or you?

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I want your brother's house!

I want little Despicable Me minions to come in and do all the housework and detail business stuff for me. Or I want a 40 hour day. Either will work.

Karen Walker said...

Oh my! That's a lot of snow to deal with. I think I'm grateful I'm in New Mexico right now. Keep warm, Sia.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Alex--That's a good question. He's always taken constructive criticism well. He thinks about it applies what works for him or his goal. Far better than me--it took me years to work on that in various disciplines.

I've been critiquing longer and I'm more accustomed to the terminology. It takes a bit for him to understand what I'm saying and why. There is a learning curve. There have been times when I know something is right but he doesn't see it and so I back off and let it be. He researches and learns and then we talk again. Conflict was one of those areas and the difference between external/internal and showing and telling. But he learned a lot during the querying process and writing synopsis. Feedback he received was invaluable.

We worked together professionally as a team for 15 years so we know how to work together and respect each other's strengths and shore up each other's weaknesses.

Dan has a good story and I love the main characters and for all the humor and wise-ass moves it has a good core of danger and kick ass--I love that in a story.

As for our snow--you can have it. Don't get me wrong, I like some a couple of feet in less than a month? Not so much.;-)

~Sia McKye~ said...

Diane, it's a cool house. When they bought it there was only the center and woods and no yard to speak of. They totally landscaped the yard. They added a full wing on the one side and the enclosed porch on the other.There is a lot of house behind this view. The house is terraced into a hill I love the terraced decks. There is a matching pool house (lower right of the pic) with decking and Robin's *bar* and party room. Lots of family gatherings are held here.

I want some minions too.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Karen, it is very cold. Inside is warm and toasty.

Kat Sheridan said...

The snow is pretty, so long as I don't have to deal with it. What a lot of work! And good for you for taking on they hubby's story and helping him. It takes a special person to do that. As for my own wants and gots? What I wants is for brownies or pixies to come do housework, and for a magic machine that transfers my stories from my brain directly to the page. What I gots is a messy house and carpal tunnel. LOL! Stay safe and warm!

Jo said...

Outside it looks like your place, around about -24°C with a severe windchill. Inside its 64°F because the heating isn't working and we are waiting for someone to fix it. The wind is howling round the building. At least you are warm and toasty inside.

shelly said...

Oh my...editing is a monster. As for he said/she said, my editor always tells me to stick with those tags but to use them sparingly.

Hugs and chocolate!

shelly said...

Oh my...editing is a monster. As for he said/she said, my editor always tells me to stick with those tags but to use them sparingly.

Hugs and chocolate!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Oh, my.Definitely your brother's place in May! That looks like a dream location. I could so get into writing at a retreat like that!

Sorry about the snow. This, too, shall pass. Right?

Michael Di Gesu said...

HI, Sia,


HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU, TOO!

Sorry about your 'snow' issues. I can relate to appoint. I live in Chicago so they do clear the snow, BUT the drifts are high and sidewalks icy and dangerous. But the way below 0 temps and WIND are certainly a challenge especially when one is on foot. I do have a car, but NEVER use it because of parking and INSANE SNOW banks...

Stay warm and keep the coffee on hand. I how you get your meltdown soon.... The snow kind....not the other.

Love the cardinal pic! So beautiful....

Take and and ALL THE BEST for 2014!

Crystal Collier said...

On mornings like that, I count my blessings. Or at least, I try to--as I look around the disaster of my living room while trying to direct home schooling kids to focus on their work and maybe sneak in reading a few blog posts. What I'd like is silence and the ability to focus for ten straight minutes, and maybe a clean house. What I have is a busy home full of excitement, diversity, and challenges. I think the second one is probably better for me. =)

Johanna Garth said...

Happy New Year Sia!

I love 'what I want/what I got' dichotomy. I'd also love to come play in your driveway for an hour or two and then be teleported back to mine. ;)

cleemckenzie said...

First of all, you are a very brave woman to edit your husband's work. Medal guaranteed. And I hope you find the green you need soon. Happy New Year.

Julie Dao said...

This winter has been horrible! Too much snow and windchill, I say. Bring on spring! (And it's only January.... sigh) And I feel your pain about the word diet. My books ALWAYS have to go on a word diet.

Annalisa Crawford said...

I know the weather is probably troublesome for you at the moment, but those pictures are beautiful - such blue sky!!

It's hard to edit a genre you're not used to - I was trying my hand at editing a fantasy and I found it really challenging. And as for time, we all understand that one!

readfaced said...

Ah the word diet. Ugh. I have a tendency toward wordy myself. Glad to see I'm not the only one. It is amazing though how much better a story is with a few thousand words cut out.

Leanne ( http://readfaced.wordpress.com/ )