Monday, June 13, 2011

Monday's Musings: How Often Do You Use Real Experiences In Your Stories?




I had a situation happen to me this past weekend and it was a totally new situation for me. Not particularly a welcomed one, but funny as hell. My mind immediately leaped to how to incorporate this into a story. Even had the characters in mind. Poof and they were there. Very weird. But I did write it down, just in case.
Now, I have to say, I’m an observer and some strange things capture my interest.  I’ve sat down to eat at the local diner and I have to say, some of the conversations, a turn of phrase, a name, the way something looks, how someone walks or dresses can send my mind into a storytelling mode.
Some things truly are stranger than fiction.

So, my question is: 

  • Have you had something happen to you where your mind jumped to how to incorporate the situation, good or bad, into a story or even built the story around it?

  • Were your characters instantaneously there like magic?

  • Or did you just use the situation in a WIP?