Monday, June 13, 2011

Monday's Musings: How Often Do You Use Real Experiences In Your Stories?




I had a situation happen to me this past weekend and it was a totally new situation for me. Not particularly a welcomed one, but funny as hell. My mind immediately leaped to how to incorporate this into a story. Even had the characters in mind. Poof and they were there. Very weird. But I did write it down, just in case.
Now, I have to say, I’m an observer and some strange things capture my interest.  I’ve sat down to eat at the local diner and I have to say, some of the conversations, a turn of phrase, a name, the way something looks, how someone walks or dresses can send my mind into a storytelling mode.
Some things truly are stranger than fiction.

So, my question is: 

  • Have you had something happen to you where your mind jumped to how to incorporate the situation, good or bad, into a story or even built the story around it?

  • Were your characters instantaneously there like magic?

  • Or did you just use the situation in a WIP?


6 comments:

Tonya Kappes said...

I find 90% of my stories listening, looking, and visiting places. Then I tweek them a little. My family know exactly when I'm doing it too b/c they say I go to la-la land....hmmm....I like la-la land!

Elle J Rossi said...

All of the above, Sia! I write paranormal and still use real life situations. The other day, someone said one small thing in passing and an entire plot for a new book came to mind. Thank goodness it will work for the next one in the series or I may never get to it!

VA said...

Observation is one of my key resources. Phrasing, gestures, and group posturing are some of the things I look for when I am out and about snooping. In fact, I just saw something the other day that was perfect.

Characters are generally amalgamations of several individuals with other bits added in. And yes, they do just appear occasionally.

Kat Sheridan said...

Characters just show up out of nowhere, pretty much fully formed, although I do have to "interrogate" them sometimes to find out what the heck they want with me. I don't think real life events or observations enter into it for me. In fact, I'm usually accused of being the least observant person around.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I really didn't base my characters on anyone and I don't think I used any real life stories. Unless I have a secret Cosbolt spacecraft!

~Sia McKye~ said...

If you have an extra one, Alex, I'll be glad to take it off your hands. Lolol!