Monday, June 29, 2015

MONDAY MUSINGS: UNPLUGGING FROM THE COMPUTER AND PLUGGING INTO LIFE





This past three days I’ve unplugged from my computer. In fact, this is the first day I’ve been back on the computer since Friday. I was surprised with my sense of reluctance to even turn on the computer today. I don’t even want to know how many emails I have. I’ll look later.
  
We used the time to go a few places we’ve wanted to explore. Nothing spectacular. We chose to follow our curiosity with a few day trips. It was a beautiful weekend for driving. When we drive someplace together we also do a lot of talking and that might start out with family happenings, work, and then branches out into all sorts of interesting topics. My husband is well read and has many interests, as do I, and he’s a good conversationalist. I love those times when we can talk about all sorts of things. Saturday and Sunday, we spent the morning out and about and the afternoons and evening watching movies I haven’t had the time to see. I finally got to see the second Captain America movie, which I loved. A lot of action and suspense and it was good to see Robert Redford back in the movies and in a good role. 

This morning has been filled with ticking off a couple of projects that need to be done here at the McKye household. Later this afternoon is cleared for baking. I’m making bread and saving enough extra dough (to be stored in the fridge) for cinnamon caramel pull-apart bread for later in the week. Yummy stuff!

I know I need to unplug from the computer more often and plan on doing so more this summer. I’ll be around, but not as much. We have lots of things we want to do, both projects here at home and places to see. I need to take some time off from the ball and chain that is my computer and concentrate on some of the simple pleasures in life. Taking time to savor the small adventures and break away from the fog of ennui. You know living and experiencing life rather than intellectualizing it via computer. 

I’ll see you again for IWSG on Wednesday. 

I hope you take some time, as I will be, to smell the roses and explore and appreciate your corner of the world. Have a great week!   

14 comments:

Yolanda Renee said...

It's important to unplug, and really do it too. Cell phones almost make it impossible, but I don't own one and pray I never have to. Enjoy your break. Love pull-a-parts, fresh bread, yum!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You should! Spending time with your husband like that is priceless.
I'll be back for that bread.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I am so torn. I love to unplug from the computer and get some real life business done (or even just play a board game with the kids). I've been doing a good bit of unplugging with my college students at home.

You should take a break, we'll all be here when you get back.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Yes, it is definitely worthwhile to get off the computer sometimes. Sounds like you had a lovely weekend with your husband.

shelly said...

Good for you! Cyber space can wait.

~Sia McKye~ said...

YOLANDA--Too many electronic chains out there. Who says you must readily available 24/7 unless you have job that handles emergencies? I currently do not have a working cell phone. I suspended it. The only thing I've used it for is texting hubs (we tend to talk by phone a couple times a day) or a few family members. I hate texting as a means of conversation and unfortunately, there are family members who think texting is the only way. Bah humbug. My landline is the most reliable because cell reception in the house is zebra stripes--step two feet one way or another and the call drops. Phooey on that. I do have my car cell for when I'm out and about. So unplugging is not as hard as it would seem, although facebook isn't real happy with me. I keep getting, Sia, you have 100+ notifications if I'm absent a couple of days. Sheesh! :-)

~Sia McKye~ said...

ALEX--spending time with your mate is a priceless gift and one I enjoy. We've decided that this is the summer for us to play...Bread rising as I type. My son is yammering about waiting for the pull apart bread, lol!

EIZABETH--I agree. We should unplug. That was brought home to me when I realized how much time I spent on the computer and how much life slips by while doing so. Granted, my day job is work from home and that is necessary and I have a schedule. So, I'm on as long as I need to and then walking away. I seriously do need that freedom.

NATALIE--I did have a lovely weekend with my husband and I forgot how much I enjoy those little day trips. Not to say I won't be on the computer but I'm being ruthless in carving out time for the things that matter. :-)

SHELLY--Yes the cyberworld can wait. I'm enjoying that. Just took me time to evaluate what's important. This summer, unplugging is.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Now I want to make some bread.

My husband and I go for walks in the evening when the weather permits. It's a great time to just talk and catch up with each other.

Jo said...

I do so agree it is wonderful to spend time with hubby. Wish I could get Matt to go exploring these days but he doesn't seem to want to. I have been told not to drive for now.

I won't be back for the bread though, not good for my diet. One piece maybe, but who can stop at one piece of fresh baked bread?

Kat Sheridan said...

Sounds like a great weekend, and some sorely needed reconnecting with life! I should try that! We miss you when you're not around, but sounds like you're doing what's good for you, and that's wonderful!

~Sia McKye~ said...

DIANE--a walk together is a great way to catch up. Did you make cinnamon rolls yet?

JO--exploring can be little trips around too. Maybe a store you haven't checked out or a restuarant or a park. It doesn't have to be long trips. And you'll be driving again in no time!

~Sia McKye~ said...

KAT--I'm not closing down the blog and disappearing just spending less time online for awhile this summer. :-)

klahanie said...

Hi Sia,

Aha and yes, I've finally arrived with one of my highly collectable comments :)

I totally relate to having a reluctance to switching a computer back on after a bit of an absence. I discovered a 3D world beyond my computer screen :)

What's wonderful is that you went out and embraced the great outdoors. Having positive distractions away from the computer is a refreshing tonic and a catalyst for rejuvenation.

Well done to you and your husband. As one who has been rather scarce in the blogging world as of late, I completely understand the benefits of taking the time to savour all that is good beyond the computer screen and outside my front door.

Have fun and enjoy that healthy balance, my friend.

Gary :)

cleemckenzie said...

We can fill our lives in so many ways. The computer and social media is only one and really a very small one. I love it when I escape and see people, talk to them and hear them laughing. No LOLs.