Monday, June 22, 2015

MONDAY MUSINGS—LETTING THE CREATIVE SPIRIT PLAY






I thought I’d start the morning out with something Celtic and energetic—not sure about you guys, but I need it. Plus, I love Slainte and really like Heath’s fiddle playing and his bagpipes. These guys are having a great time playing and that’s always a joy to hear.



This past weekend I actually only worked a half day on Saturday and off on Sunday. It’s been a good long while since I had almost a whole weekend off. I was planning to go see Jurassic World but Dan decided he’d rather see it next weekend. Quality time off, what do I do? Write? Well I do have some clamoring characters but I told them they’d just have to wait (although I did spend some time writing in my notebook while sitting outside).  When you spend as much time in front of a computer as I do, the last thing you want to do is sit in front of one and so writing was out. I couldn’t face my office or my computer another minute.
  
I exercised my creative spirit in other ways. I worked in my garden, admired my tomatoes, planted some more blueberries, counted my healthy strawberries—about half are doing fine and I’m looking forward to eating lots of them soon. I also worried about my eight new fruit trees—they’re not responding from bare root. I’m giving them another week and then if they still aren’t responding, me and the nursery staff is going to have words.
  
My creative spirit also wanted to play baker. I haven’t done a lot of baking with yeast in several years. I used to make my bread and rolls. Between having had MRSA and then the shoulder reconstruction, I got out of the habit of that kind of baking.  For one, it takes quite a bit of time and physical effort. I had a hankering for yeasty cinnamon rolls. The recipe I have used for years produces some yummy cinnamon rolls and I used to know it by heart. I had to dig it out so I could proceed. Sheesh.


The first batch…well…let’s just say they weren’t great. Personally, I think they’d have made great hockey pucks although the horses thought they were great. Second batch were good but still not great. Part of it was adjusting for my new stove (relatively new—2 years old so the proofing of the dough was different as was this oven’s temps). The other part of the problem is when working yeast dough it takes practice. I don’t use a bread machine and then there is remembering temperatures for liquids so you don’t kill the yeast or being too rough with the dough so it becomes tough. Use the skill or lose it. It all comes back, well most of it, especially the second time around. Third batch will be a charm—just as soon as I buy more yeast.


  • So, how was your weekend? See any good movies? Read any good books?

  • Did you let your creative spirit out to play? How did that work out for you?

14 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

I need to take some time off the computer on the weekends too when I can. Yesterday my daughter and I spent some time looking for things she'll need for college and going out to dinner. It was fun.

Your garden sounds lovely.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I have a great cinnamon roll recipe, too. Now I am dying to make it.

I'm in front of my computer so much and there are days when I just want to escape it and go do something mindless and fun elsewhere.

Jo said...

Never made cinnamon rolls but glad you were fairly happy with your second batch. In fact I haven't made any kind of bread in years. Not sure why but my tendency to dig into it may be a good reason.

If I lived where you did, I would have trouble spending any time indoors.

Karen Walker said...

I've had some free time as well since I finished my novel and sent it out last Friday. I saw Inside Out this weekend. It was hilarious. I'm taking dance classes I've always wanted to take. Wish I could taste those cinnamon rolls.

~Sia McKye~ said...

NATALIE--I've been putting in a lot of hours on the computer for work. I let everyone know i need to cut back. It just zaps me because it's so intensive. I do tend to escape from the office as soon as I can. Yay, on having fun times with your daughter. We need those times!

DIANE--exactly. Mindless tasks are needed when you do that. Hey, let me know how the how the cinnamon rolls turn out!

~Sia McKye~ said...

jo--the second batch looked good and were good tasting once I put on the frosting but were still needing some added adjustments. yes, it does take a light hand to work the dough. :-)

KAREN--sounds like your life is going good. I wish I could do some dance classes. It sounds like such fun. Wishing you the best on the book!

shelly said...

Eat a couple of those rolls for me since I can't have any-EVER. Allergies. Anyway, love gardening myself. I have fresh pesto every week and stuffed peppers and tomatoes. Yum!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I plan to see Jurassic Park next weekend too. Heard it was good. I love baking but with my kids so busy, I tend to eat too much of it myself. So I haven't been doing it much lately.

Susan Says

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You could've saved the hockey pucks for winter.
That's why I enjoy playing my guitar. It's creative and not in front of the computer.

Cherie Reich said...

When I have time off, the last thing I want to do is turn on the computer too. I hope your fruit trees start doing better. Now I want cinnamon rolls. :)

Yolanda Renee said...

My son took me to see Jurassic World and it was fun! You'll enjoy it, but nothing will ever out do the first one. I did a lot of writing this weekend, and then cooking for Father's Day. Good weekend, hopefully a better week ahead!

Be well, and keep baking. Love cinnamon rolls!

Kat Sheridan said...

I love to bake, but I can't do a darn thing with yeast. I'm a cookies and cakes and pies kind of girl. I've heard that in French baking school, one majors either in breads/yeasty stuff or in desserts/sweet stuff, because the skills are so different. That's why they have boulangeries (bakeries) and patisseries (sweet baked goods shops), although these days they tend to be the same thing. Whereas here, we just call them bakeries, even though they have both. I admire yeast people! Hubs has a bread machine and likes to try different things with it. Glad to hear you're ding better and got some time to rest and play!

Dianne K. Salerni said...

My weekend was spent cleaning the house and preparing for my daughter's graduation party, hosting said party, and cleaning up after party. Not a lot of creativity mixed in there, and even though my WIP was calling me, I was just too wiped out to write very much.

As for Jurassic World, I thought it was pretty entertaining in spite of having the exact same plot as every other Jurassic movie. ;)

Anne Gallagher said...

Unfortunately, when the "other side" (I call it the "dark side") of my creative spirit strikes, I find myself repainting rooms, and ripping up carpet. Or doing a major house clean. I'd like to do less physical things, but I guess hard labor restores the "magic".