Monday, September 29, 2014

MONDAY MUSINGS— HEARING VOICES



My husband cracks me up.

He loves westerns. He and the Western channel are good buds. I believe he’s watched about every western series made—all 145 or so. Me? I’m not a big fan of westerns—well aside from Bonanza, Big Valley, and The Virginian (when I was very young, about 9 or 10-ish I had a wicked crush on Little Joe). These were my dad’s favorites. 

I remember the theme songs to two others Dad watched regularly, The Rebel (Johnny Yuma) and Rawhide. I say the theme songs because we were usually in bed when they came on, but I can sing the both songs—Have Gun Will Travel too. The only Western I really liked was Wild, Wild West when I was a bit older. Anything else? Forget it.

My husband has a fabulous memory for dialog—especially for anything Lonesome Dove. That’s top on the list of westerns he loves.  I actually had to get downright threatening when he thought going to live in Montana (he calls it MUN-tana) would be a good thing. 

Really?
Have you seen the snow they get up there?
Well, I have. No way, no how. Have a good time. Be sure to write, lol! 

One of his very good friends (and fellow Lonesome Dove aficionados) actually did move there which tickled Dan to no end to think of Terrence “Woodrow” in MUN-tana. Terry has a magnetized sign that goes on his truck that says, “Hat Creek Cattle Company”. You’ll never guess who got that for him.

Any number of situations can have Dan quoting ole Gus or Woodrow and he doesn't particularly care where he is when he does. My son and I know, from long observation, when he’s setting up for a quote ‘fest, particularly in restaurants and we tend to hide behind our menus. Slow service or a “surly Bartender” will get you, “One of the things we didn’t put up with back then is dawdling service and as you can see, we still don’t…put up with it.”  At a table with friends, he’s been known to raise his Gold Margarita on rocks, with salt, “Here’s to the sunny slopes of long ago.” I fully expect him to tell me on his deathbed, “My God, Woodrow. It has been quite a party, ain’t it?”

My husband also loves corny jokes and sayings. He has pages of stuff he’s made up. Other things are from pop culture like movies, TV shows, or comedy skits. He loves “voices” and is very good with mimicking what he hears—everything from Dirty Harry to one of his favorites, South Park’s Lock Ness Monster skit. Yep, he’s been known to launch into that one at any time but especially when he hears the price of something being $2 or $3.50, “and I said tree-fitty?” He can do the whole thing, gestures, inflections, voices and all. 

Bless his heart, Dan loves the voices and does them very well. Too well.


Which is why we have a sign hanging beside the back door that reads, Warning, Alleged Comedian in residence. Enter at your own risk.

14 comments:

Karen Walker said...

Your hubby sounds wonderful. My hubby loves Westerns, too, whenever I leave the room or am somewhere else, you can be assured he's watching Westerns. I, too, had a crush on Little Joe. And I still sing Happy Trails, from Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, one of the Westerns I did watch as a child.

Jo said...

I used to be taken to see Roy Rogers on Saturday mornings. That was a loooong time ago Otherwise never been a fan of them, Matt isn't a great fan either. I did enjoy Lonesome Dove though.

shelly said...

I had a crush on Little Joe, too.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Let him indulge. I enjoy Westerns as well. Although Wild Wild West was my favorite when I was a kid.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I loved those old western theme songs especially Rawhide. I miss the genre and fill the void with Hell on Wheels which is really dark compared to older westerns.
You're husband sounds like a great guy. Happy National Coffee Day to you.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm not a Western fan, but I bet your husband is a riot at parties.

~Sia McKye~ said...

KAREN--Little Joe was dreamy back then, lol! I can sing and do, Happy Trails.

JO--Lonesome Dove was a good mini-series movie. They did a good job with it and most of the book dialog was used in the movie. :-)

SHELLY--seems Little Joe was a hit with the young girls. Oh, the stories I made up around Little Joe, lol!

ALEX--I always let him indulge in his favorite shows. If I don't like them I have books to read or other things to do. LOVED Wild Wild West.

DIANE--Oh, Dan is a riot at parties. He's also the one you want on your team for trivial pursuit. :-)

Al Diaz said...

That last sentence really made me chuckle. I used to watch westerns, but Clint Eastwood, John Wayne kind of westerns. I think I watched Bonanza once. My favorite film was The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. I do not intend to be a comedian but I have a brother who does. And also likes South Park. :) Dragon hugs!

Michael Di Gesu said...

LOL,

HI, Sia,

Your hubby sounds like a PISTOL... no pun intended...RIGHT...

At least he makes you laugh and this is so important.

I had to chuckle about the SNOW In MUNTANA>.. I live in Chicago and last winter nearly did me iN! I'm trying to bail, but no bites on my condo. Real estate is a tough market here. I had hoped to be in the sunny south by now... No such luck...

Anyway.... LOVE the sign on the back door... you guys are a hoot! Keep on smiling....

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sia .. I used to love Westerns, but don't watch them now - and no husband to tempt me in!

Love what Michael says .. laughter is the best at all times .. corny jokes ... well at least you'll never be bored, nor will any visitor ... fun sign: alleged comedian ... brilliant ...

Cheers Hilary

~Sia McKye~ said...

AL--I do like Western movies. I've enjoyed John Wayne movies like She Wore A Yellow Ribbon and The Searchers and I've watched most of Clint Eastwood's spaghetti westerns. I also liked The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. :-)

MICHAEL-- the snow last year about did me in as well. According to the old timers around here, this past winter was what used to be normal 30 years ago. I'll take the snow over ice storms but still, while I like 4 seasons I prefer milder winters. Even hubs, who is from Massachusetts, commented that he felt like he was spending the winter in the NE again. This year's supposed to be bad too. Ugh.

Hope you find a buyer for your condo soon, of course, you might have to live through another windy icy Chicago winter before it does.

And laughter is always the best medicine.

HILARY--my husband is a fun person to be around and although my humor is dry and witty in preference you can't help but laugh some of the things Dan comes up with.

Kat Sheridan said...

Dan sounds like the perfect mate for you! Lots of laughter going on in your house! I confess my fist childhood crush at about the age of five, was Cheyenne. And Palladin was also an early love, which probably inspired by life-long love of brooding dark heroes. Hubs (being just enough older than I) watched a lot more Westerns as a kid than I did. I was watching the movie "Paint Your Wagon" one day, and Clint Eastwood was singing. Hubs walked in, gawked at the TV, and said "I didn't know Rowdy Yates could sing!". And then had to explain to me who "Rowdy Yates" was, because I'd been very, very young when Rawhide was on TV.

cleemckenzie said...

This cracked me up! I really liked the sign you hang on your back door. That would make me want inside all the more. And you serve coffee! That's a draw.

Liz Fichera said...

I love westerns too! The cornier, the better. :)