Monday, August 18, 2014

MONDAY MUSINGS—A SAD STATE OF AFFAIRS





I rarely involve myself publicly in controversial subjects and it’s not my intent to do so now. However, I hate dishonorable behavior in those sworn to act in honor. I abhor injustice. I deplore prejudice although I know we all have some within us no matter how hard we try to root it out and I’m not talking  just racial but in all it’s forms.

I’m the first to admit that while our justice system is based on sound principles the execution of those principles is not always equitable, handled in a timely fashion, and there are a few loopholes that you can drive a compact car through, but it is still better than many systems out there. There are those who try to make sure the original legal intent is in place and adjustments for current affairs are fair and impartial. I do believe, however flawed it is, in giving the justice system a chance to work The laws in this country are also based on sound principles and the hardworking police forces through out the country are tasked with keeping law and order within our communities. They’re not perfect and yes, a few march to their own drummer or think they are above the laws they’re tasked with enforcing. Still without such a peace force I shudder to think what we would have to face.

None of these is a perfect system but without them we couldn't function.

Kate Santichen-ABC News
Here in Missouri we currently have a mess. It’s such a sad state of affairs and heartbreaking in so many ways. The scenes coming from here out to the world show a war zone. It looks like something from a third world country in the middle of a revolution and not from a country who touts it’s the home of the free and the brave and with a three hundred and five (305’) foot statute and pedestal declaring “Liberty Enlightening The World.”  I’m afraid things are far from enlightened in parts of St. Louis right now.

It certainly shouldn't be a place an unarmed person can be shot down in the street like a rabid dog by one who took the Oath of Honor (as all police 
Kansas City officers taking the oath.
officers must): 
On my honor,I will never betray my badge1,my integrity, my character, or the public trust.I will always havethe courage to hold myselfand others accountable for our actions.I will always uphold the constitution
my community and the agency I serve.

There is some hard work ahead. Some serious investigations that must take place and ownership of wrongdoing must be accepted. Changes must be made.

My heartfelt thoughts are with all involved—those who grieve, those who again must find their honor, and with those who are tasked with examining the situation and giving justice.


Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin 1755


10 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sia - sadly the Missouri story is not happy reading - I sincerely hope someone can give some leadership to calm the situation, as well as find the truth ... and agree with you and your last two paragraphs - Hilary

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Sadly, this seems to happen all too commonly these days...unarmed African American males being shot and killed by offices sworn to protect and serve. It infuriates me because it occurs on a regular basis. How can anyone think this is ok???

Jo said...

The initial occurrence is terrible, but rioting and looting sure don't do anything to correct the situation. The protests might start peacefully but the undesirable element are converting them into war zones. Like Hilary, I hope someone can calm them down soon.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It escalated from a tragedy to a terrible mess.
I agree with Ben Franklin.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Hilary--yes, some calming oil certainly needs to be poured on this situation and that takes dedicated leaders with the good of all in mind.

Keith--that's true too. Abuse of power is never okay regardless of race.
Genuine mistakes have been made in a split second and someone dies--and not just African-Americans although those are well publicized. This situation was a little different and in daylight.

~Sia McKye~ said...

JO--I agree. Looting and rioting never helps anyone. Looting is avarice taking advantage of a situation.

I have never lived in an inner city center. It's hard to imagine that environment and for many of us, it's a foreign world with different issues. Violence is a way of life. I can't imagine raising a family there.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Alex, yes it has. It needs some strong leadership from both inside the communities and outside to come together with a common goal of making peace.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I feel sad and horrified when I watch the news about the situation. And I feel terrible for all the businesses being hurt in the ongoing violence.

Stephanie Faris said...

The police have a mess on their hands, for sure. It's sad that in order to see justice carried out, people felt they had to resort to violence. However, I do wonder if the community would have gotten the same results if they hadn't made this scene? There would have been an "investigation" and the officer would have been "cleared of all charges" and put back on the streets. Happens all the time. Still...at this point, enough is enough. They aren't accomplishing anything with all this anger and violence.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Stephpaie thank you for your thoughts.

Much of the violence has been the result of outside agitators and ditto with the looters. Most of the demonstrations have been multi-racial and peaceful.

When painful things happen in a community sometimes gathering together peacefully to show solidarity against the wrong and share the pain is the only way to heal. That's true whether its because of a school shooting, a marathon terrorist attack or a shooting like this in community. All have had demonstrations in the street.

As for the officer in question, there is no way he can be cleared of all charges. Grand jury is being convened to deal with the charges. Federal investigation is underway for dealing with a police department that has forgotten honor in it's dealing with people--well documented, btw. There have to be changes made.

But I do agree that justice cannot be administered on the streets. It has to be through our judicial system.