Monday, March 31, 2014

Monday Musings - The Accidental Blogger

Hi, Kat Sheridan here. First up, an update on Sia. For those who don’t know, Sia has been having a tough time lately, as she explains here.
 
I’ve heard briefly from Sia and her hubs. Surgery day last Thursday was long, but Sia is at home now, floating on a sea of painkillers, and typing one-handed, but she’s recovering! YAY! She dictated a comment for her hubs to type for her on last Monday's blog that reads:


surgery went well but a lot more damage than we first thought. Serious recuperation time and still a lot of pain--thank God for pain meds. But seeing all these comments made the pain in the heart the heart, much better.

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!

~Dan taking dictation from Sia~

I’ll be keeping the lights on and the coffee hot here at Over Coffee for the month of April until Sia is back with two good arms! Sia wanted to participate in the annual A-Z blog challenge. I’ll be keeping that commitment on her behalf. Because the blog only appears three times a week, we won’t hit all the letters, but I’ll do my best to bring you content I hope you’ll enjoy, by the alphabet. Our theme is “Favorite Books and Authors.” I’ll have friends stopping by on occasion throughout April, talking about everything from Dwarves to Zombies, and I’ll be filling in with articles that reflect my weird, eclectic taste in books.
 
 
And of course, I'll be counting on all of you to help me keep the conversation going!
 
Here's a secret: I never meant to be a blogger. I admire folks like Sia, and many of the commenters here, who blog regularly. It’s a huge commitment to keep coming up with fresh ideas and to have the patience and skill to produce enticing content day after day and to build an audience.

When I first started my own website, I had to decide if it would be a fairly static site that would include only news of my books, or if I would join the legions of bloggers on the interwebs. At the time I was working 60-80 hour weeks, learning my craft, and trying to fit in work on my fiction in the odd leftover moments. I chose not to add blogging to that list. I’m grateful to Sia, however, for inviting me to join her here as the occasional co-host and accidental blogger! And of course, I love being able to "lend a hand" (LOL!) to a friend like Sia!
 
Though it may look or sound a little different in April, you can always count on this here at Over Coffee: we'll be talking about books and writing, there will alway be a pot of fresh coffee on the counter, and something good to eat! So grab a muffin and kick back!


Let’s talk:  What makes a blog appealing to you? How did you find, and start following the blogs you follow? And if you're a blogger yourself, what made you start it and what keeps you going?
 
 

28 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

So glad Sia is doing okay after her surgery. And what a great friend you are to help her keep her blog going while she recovers.

Kat Sheridan said...

Hi, Natalie! Sia has been such a great friend to me, supporting me in my writing. I'm glad to have a chance to return the favor!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Kat - so good to hear news of Sia .. I've always admired her blog and the life she leads with her dogs and animals on the farm .. it's been fun following her around.

I tend to meet people via their comments on other blogs, or they end up on mine ..

And now we have the A-Z .. it opens many more doors ... however I do like to relate to commenters rather than just gather numbers ..

It's hard work - but rewarding .. cheers to one and all - Hilary

Janie Mason said...

Like you Kat, I couldn't imagine fitting a blog into my schedule. Hats off to those who do make the time.
Hugs to you for taking over for April for a friend in need. And healing wishes to Sia.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sia had let me know what happened and she was so excited you were jumping in to help her, Kat!
My publisher told me to get online, which is how my blogging life started. I've stayed because it's an awesome and support community of people. And I've made some great friends along the way.

Jo said...

I originally started because I thought I could make money but that turned out to be a pipe dream. I was pointed in the direction of others blogs by a friend and somehow ended up making more and more friends over the years.

Great to hear Sia is doing OK and that the op was successful. Lots of good wishes coming her way.

Kat Sheridan said...

Hilary, Sia never ceases to make me laugh with her stories about the goings-on with all her animals! I have one little dog who keeps me busy enough. I can't imagine all those animals! But I do enjoy the photos of her wide open spaces!

Like you, when I visit a blog I like to read the whole article and find some new connection or idea. And you're right, it's hard work, but worth it!

Kat Sheridan said...

Janie, so good to see you here! Folks, keep an eye out for "J" day when Janie Mason will be my guest here! Can't wait to see what you come up with, Janie!

Kat Sheridan said...

Alex, you're one of the most successful bloggers I've seen. You're doing it right with great information and a wonderful personal style that keeps bringing people back to you and your blog! Looks like your publisher steered you in the right direction! I THINK I've got this blog properly registed for the A-Z challenge, and I'm looking forward to giving it a go!

Kat Sheridan said...

Jo, I think the really early adopters of blogging might have made money, but you're right, I don't think most folks do. But I've found that same thing you did, that it's a great way to make new friends!

Karen Walker said...

So happy Sia's surgery is behind her and she will rehab now. You are an angel for keeping this going for her. Please send her virtual hugs and thoughts and prayers.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

So so happy that Sia has friends like you. Thank you so much for updating us :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Poor Sia! Kat, that's wonderful you are filling in for her.

I started blogging in 2005 after attending a book festival panel about blogs. So I've been going at it for 9 years now and while I've taken breaks, I still enjoy it.

Kat Sheridan said...

Karen, I'm sure Sia is reading along here, and happy for everyone's good wishes! And she's getting pretty good at typing one-handed!

Kat Sheridan said...

Optimistic, Sia is such a nice person, and SO many good friends, as witnessed by folks like you dropping in to send her well wishes! Glad to see you here!

Kat Sheridan said...

Hi, L. Diane! Wow, you've been blogging a long time! That's terrific! I'm having a bit of a panic attack just doing it one month! It's kind of like being in left in charge of somebody's baby and hoping you don't drop it or something. LOL!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Good article, Kat! Good reminder for all of us as to WHY we blog. It does have a purpose--or it should.

Natalie--yes, I'm doing better. Still lots of pain and one handed typing but today is much better.

Hilary--you have an interesting blog. Always learn something when I read it.

I'm with you and you touch on a pet peeve of mine. A blog isn't a race for numbers it's engaging people's interest and building a readership. Good content and a thought to an inviting layout, and reader interaction is important.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Janie, I started the blog initially because I was trying for publishing and writers need to get their names out there.

My focus was this crazy journey we writers are on. Whether we are wildly successful as an author or just starting out, we have common ground of the journey. Best sellers still have problems to overcome and some of the same as a beginning writer. :-)

Alex There are some wonderful bloggers out there and the support is phenomenal. I've also made great friends along the way. Keeps you going when times are tough. :-)

~Sia McKye~ said...

Kat is a good friend and very capable. Has a great handle on the industry. Very interesting person as well.

"...kind of like being in left in charge of somebody's baby and hoping you don't drop it or something. LOL!" You crack me up. You haven't dropped the *baby* yet, lol!

We've been friends since 2007 and are both part of a great writing group born at the same time. I learned much of my blogging skills with the writing group and with 6+ years of continuous blog articles. We took turns. Shared info. Those published shared insider info. Share glitches and triumphs. Great group.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Jo You have a great slice of life blog that's interesting to read. And yummy recipes, too.

Diane You were a big help to me in the beginning, 5 years ago, when I started my blog. You have a great knowledge base.

Karen Oh my gosh, don't tell her she's an angel, lol! Thanks for the hugs. Slow and painful--definitely frustrating-- but I'll get back on top. :-)

~Sia McKye~ said...

Keith I am blessed with good friends. The comments here are like getting hugs from you all. Hugs are special imo :-)

Kat I am reading, but, this one handed typing wipes me out. Takes forever. Time for my meds and sleep.

Kat Sheridan said...

Sia, I had a feeling you'd stop by! And you did a terrific job commenting. Now, back to bed and rest! And I hope somebody else is cooking dinner tonight!

Kevyn Knox said...

Hey, I'm new around these parts. Not to the world of blogging (I've been doing that for more than a decade now) but to the world surrounding the A to Z Challengers. This will be my first year joining in on the fun. Hope all goes well, both on and off line. Take care, and I will see ya 'round the web.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Kat, it took forever to do those comments, lol! Felt like I worked a full day :-)

I'm banned from the kitchen. Dan fixed burgers for dinner with a yummy three bean veggies with carrots. AND he made me some cinnamon rolls with butter cream frosting.Big ones. They're wonderful.

Yes, I slept for 4 hours! Totally knocked out. Still learning to pace myself.

KevynWelcome aboard. It's a lot of work but also fun. Enjoy.

Kat Sheridan said...

Kevyn, as Sia said, welcome to Over Coffee! And Sia, I LOVE cinnamon rolls! Those sound so good!A local restaurant here, known for their cinnamon rolls, uses the day old ones to make bread pudding, frosting and all. OMG, to die for!

Al Diaz said...

I will be praying for Sia's recovery to be fast. Please give her a hug in behalf of Father Dragon.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Al, dragon hugs are always wonderful. Your scales are so soft and warm. Feels lovely.

I'm hoping for fast recovery, too. Like, okay, surgery's done now, poof I'm back up to 100%. Sigh. It will be a long recovery time.

cleemckenzie said...

Best wishes to Sia on her continued recovery. You're a great friend to step up and keep things going for her. And you did a fantastic job. If a blogger has something to share that's interesting or new or exciting, I come back. If a blogger has humor and authenticity in the posts, I come back. Love great visuals, too.