Monday, September 30, 2013

MONDAY MUSING— SEASONS CHANGE





I was sitting outside on the patio yesterday reading and it still felt and looked like summer. The yard is still blooming with flowers and I can still hear the buzz of insects and the crescendos of a few cicadas. My Mimosa tree is still bravely putting out a few pink puffs. 

Seasons are changing but the signs are not yet obvious. It’s something you sense rather than see. I look at the surrounding hills and there is very little color yet. But, there is a feel to the air—it’s a bit crisper in the early mornings and the evenings. I was thinking yesterday, as I watched the bees busy harvesting nectar from my flowers, it’s like everything is at the moment of pause. You can feel it on the cusp of change; nature is sucking up the last of the sunshine and food and preparing for the winter.

It may still feel like summer, I may still have to turn on the air conditioner in the afternoons (which will continue to operate off and on until November), but when I look across my road to our smaller pasture…ah, now there I see the evidence of the beginning fall. The scarlet leaves of the Sumac, a touch of yellow in the Walnut trees, the red leaves here and there on the white Ash, a hint of yellow and orange in the Sassafras and Dogwoods.



I do miss my morning sunshine. The angle of the sun has changed and of course, mornings come later now. I used to take a walk between 8-8:30 every evening to unwind from my day and still have the last rays of sunlight. Now, that’s gone and it’s almost dark by 7:30. Pretty soon it will be dark by 5:00. Not looking forward to the loss of light.
 
I’m a bit ambiguous about the changes. On one hand I want to hold on to summer and on the other I’m looking forward to snuggling up to fall and winter. I have a lot of energy in the fall—much like the trees as they change. I think the energy is a way of preparing for winter. I do have to move hay bales up closer to the house, clean out the dog houses and lay in fresh hay for bedding, fill in the summer holes that have been burrowed by the dogs to find cool beds in the earth, and make sure all the watering troughs are ready to go. The barn still needs a final clean up and fresh hay laid down in the area the horses take refuge from the fall rains and winter winds. The cats come in and out but most of them prefer to curl up in sleeping boxes filled with hay or in the west bay of the garage, which was designed to house a tractor and it’s where I load up the extra hay. Makes it easier to feed the horses once the ice and snow starts and it’s a lot easier to walk fifty feet to the garage than a quarter of a mile down to the barn to feed. Then there is the fall washing of all the windows and cleaning of the carpets for the times when the house is tightly closed off for winter. Still a lot to do so the energy comes in handy. J

I’m fortunate that when winter sets in I don’t have to travel to go to work. I work from home; my commute is from the coffee pot to my office. I have windows that look out on the property to the east and south. It also affords me a great view of the falling snow when it comes. I love writing when the snowfalls. My imagination flows with the autumn rains and the smell of wood smoke in the air and winter snow. I’m working on a new writing schedule that allows for my work schedule. I do my best creative writing in the early morning but my non-fiction writing is best in the evenings. So I’m trying to schedule that and start my paying job a bit later in the morning. I’m still playing with time slots, but it’s coming together.

Seasons change. We change with the seasons. It’s the way of nature.


  • What  changes do the seasons bring to you? 


20 comments:

Kat Sheridan said...

Gosh, you're busy! I don't do any of that. I just close up one house and head for sun in the other one. There are times I do like the autumn--crisp leaves and pumpkin flavored things and the excuse to dig out sweaters, but most of the time now it just means migrating south. Spring is my "energy" time, when I'm happiest. But we're having a cool day here, with lots of clouds, and it's a good day for coffee and pumpkin bread and a mystery book.

Pearl said...

Fall is a great time for being busy, isn't it? There's an implied rush to the season -- and, depending where you live, an ACTUAL rush.

Here's to the first snowfall!

Pearl

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Leaves are starting to fall here. I do like the crispness of the cool morning air. The humidity is gone and it's clearer.
And I sleep much better when it's cooler!

~Sia McKye~ said...

KAT-- preparing for a move south is not exactly relaxing, lol! Currently, I'm reading a historical and loving the overcast day. Now if I didn't have to work this afternoon it would be lovely. :-)

PEARL--Lets not get carried away, lol! I'm NOT quite ready for snow.

ALEX--yay on the humidity. I'm always glad to see that go.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

We look forward to milder weather here in Florida and a chance to spend more time outside. It doesn't get cold here...and I'm glad...I like summer time best! Sweet hugs!

Crystal Collier said...

Oh, I love those flowers, and I'm with Lavender Dreamer up there. It's just starting to cool down around here. We won't see any evidence of fall for another two months at least.

I am hoping that the fall will bring greater outdoor adventures, but I have a feeling it's going to mean utter insanity. Well, bring on the crazy, eh? It's only a season.

Pat Hatt said...

Hmph! I want that commute too. Hate traveling to work in the stupid snow

Cate Masters said...

Gorgeous photos! I love the changing seasons, and especially love autumn. Waking up to darkness and early sunsets are the only thing I'm not crazy about.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Lavender--right back attcha. We're southern Missouri here and this is the time that it starts cooling down more so one can do things outside without the humidity.

Crystal-- our leaves will really hit color about the 2nd or 3rd week in October but the a/c still comes off and on thru the beginning of November. Here's to outdoor adventures!

Pat--Me too on the snow. If it makes you feel better hubs still has to travel 30 miles to work.
:-)

Cate--exactly. I try to appreciate each season, but I need sunshine and light, darn it!

Tina said...

Oh how I love autumn - it's my favorite time of year. I'm heat phobic. I guess it's growing up in Sweden and my body really isn't made for some of CO's hottest summer days. At least we have low humidity. I love the new slant of light, the crisper air, the colors changing. I don't have nearly as much "getting tucked in for winter" work as you do, but my (sadly neglected since the floods) flower beds need some TLC. Where do you live? It sounds lovely. Beautiful, colorful, chock-full-o-senses post.
Tina @ Life is Good

~Sia McKye~ said...

TINA--my youngest brother is also heat phobic and that's largely because he was brought up in Northern Wisconsin. There is humidity and hot days but more winter and cold because summer is short and intense.

I'm living in Southern Missouri now. My dad moved my mom down when he knew he was dying and she needed more warmth and couldn't take the cold of Wisconsin anymore. So he sold the house up in Hayward and bought a house and property down here for her. All of us gravitated to Missouri to be near here when my father passed. He'd been down here on a job years ago and two my brothers have lived here over 20 years. Hubs, kid, and I moved back about 12 years ago. :-) It's home.

I do miss snowmobiling the trails and hot toddies at the resorts on the trails...

Johanna Garth said...

Beautiful pictures Sia. This time of year makes me think about Halloween costumes!

Mark Koopmans said...

that was such a nice post that I started singing this song about the seasons, I think it was by the Mamas and the Papas but I have no idea something about there is a time, time, time...

anyway a very fun read!

thank you for sharing and I have to admit I miss snow for perhaps one day a year...

~Sia McKye~ said...

JOHANNA--uh huh. So will get pictures of this?

MARK--Actually, I was humming Expose's song Seasons Change when I wrote this. Of course this post has nothing to do with love or anything like it, lol!

We get snow but rarely is it a white Christmas. Go figure.

And thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I was going to write about the debacle in Washington. Again. But figured everyone was as sick as I was of the stink of tall piles of cow pucky in those hallowed halls. May take years to wash away that smell...;-)

Tammy Theriault said...

BUSY BEE! i love autumn time...the leaves changing...but one thing at a time right?

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

I'm working on appreciating the fall, though I already miss summer. Those colors are spectacular.

Be well, Sia.
Always good to see your smiley face.

xoRobyn

Yolanda Renee said...

Beautiful post - a tribute to the changing season! Love being so busy there's no time for sleep - but especially when the muse is active!

Mason Canyon said...

Summer is trying to hang on here too, but fall is slowly working it's way in. The cool mornings and darkness coming sooner. Having less daylight is one thing I dislike about winter.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Dani Harper said...

Autumn has been my favorite season ever since I was a little kid late for school because I'd been trying to gather the "prettiest" leaves along the way.... I deliberately planted a row of sumac along my fenceline (not a usual landscaping choice) so I can enjoy the colors in the fall! Have to winterize the chicken coop and make sure the dog house is warm enough (as if our big dog is going to spend much time outdoors, LOL). We've been cleaning off the garden, gathering the last of the produce, and getting ready to put the garden "to bed" for the winter.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sia .. I think probably I had more energy at this time of year - but my life has adjusted during my mother's illness and I can't see to enjoy the cold!! So I'm not looking forward to a bad winter - I hope this year it is cold, but kind ...

Love that you're organising everything - so your animals needs are cared for when that white stuff falls .. the cats are obviously well settled ...

Our cold winds have come south - so it looks like the cooler times have arrived .. cheers Hilary