Monday, July 22, 2013

MONDAY MUSINGS: HAPPY WATERMELON MONTH





I’m a pretty traditional gal. Oh, I have my adventurous moments but for the most part I’m pretty tried and true.

This past week I had a hankering for watermelon. Tis the season you know. J In fact, July is National Watermelon month. So, here I am in the produce section of my local store and I wheeled my cart right on up to the nice display of melons. Thumped and smelled and chose a couple of cantaloupes and a nice watermelon. I’m the major consumer of melons in my house so the watermelon was a smaller one and so pretty.

I found a nice place for it in the refrigerator. Friday was the day. Got my watermelon out and sliced. My jaw drops. WTF? What happened to my watermelon?

It was yellow.

Yellow?? Peaches are yellow, mangoes and pineapple are yellow. Watermelons are bright red or deep pink. Not yellow. I sniff. Smells like a watermelon. I sliced a little piece and cautiously take a taste…okay, it tastes like a watermelon. Sort of. But, but…it’s YELLOW.

I say sort of, because there is a difference. Texture of the fruit is a bit lighter and finer and the taste is sweeter. Almost like a touch of honey to it. It a bit sweeter than I like, but it’s good and this would be nice change in a summer fruit salad, watermelon berry salad, or watermelon cucumber salad (which is very good, by the way). I prefer the flesh of the red fruit.


Tonight, I’m in my office and I hear the refrigerator door open.

“What the hell…?! Mom, what is this? 
 “Its a watermelon, son.” 
 “It’s yellow. Is it spoiled?” 
 “Nope. Just a different color.” 
 “Huh. It looks weird. When did they start making watermelon yellow? Is it any good?” 
 I roll my eyes. “Why don’t you taste it and see what you think?” I figure the kitchen would be better place to have this conversation, so I walk in to find my son poking the watermelon like it was a dangerous alien. He bends his head and sniffs. 
 “It smells like a watermelon. Have you had any of it?” 
 “Obviously so, since half of it is gone, I’m still breathing, too.” He squares his shoulders and lifts the watermelon. 
 I grab the watermelon just before teeth meets yellow. “Oh no you don’t, buddy. Here’s a spoon. Scoop out a piece.” 
 “Wow. It’s really sweet.” Scoops out another bite for testing purposes you understand.

I recognize the look on his face and rescued my watermelon again and cut off a slice for him to eat.  It’s the same look mothers of grazing teen males understand. It’s the same look he gets when he’s looking in the fridge for something to eat but grabs the gallon of milk to guzzle and fortify him before choosing something to eat.

So, watermelon isn't just red anymore. Who would have thunk it? 

If you will excuse me, I'm going to go eat my purple, yellow, and orange tomato salad with purple cauliflower bits and crumbled feta cheese and contemplate some yellow watermelon for dessert. Who knows, maybe next time I'll add the yellow watermelon to the salad mix.




  • Have you had any of the yellow watermelon? Did you know it was yellow flesh when you bought it or were you as surprised as I was when you cut into it?

24 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

I know I've seen the yellow watermelons before, but I honestly can't remember trying one. I enjoy watermelon from time to time, but I guess I'm more of a cantaloupe girl - less mess. :)

Happy National Watermelon Month. Now I'm hungry for watermelon before 9 a.m.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Anne Gallagher said...

I love watermelon and have been known to buy it in December (Yikes the price is outrageous when you can find it)

But I have never seen yellow watermelon. I'm going to have to look for it for sure. My daughter loves it, so seeing it yellow will freak her out a little bit.

L.G. Smith said...

I've never seen a yellow watermelon before either. Who knew? But that touch of honey might be good. :)

Jo said...

I've never been keen on watermelon because of all those seeds. However, in NC they used to sell a yellow watermelon - that is yellow skinned too - which didn't have any seeds. It was pretty good. I still prefer cantaloupe though. Actually, I have an idea the yellow fruit had a pinkish flesh, but wouldn't swear to it.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I can't say I've ever seen a yellow watermelon. I enjoy the real thing, but watermelon flavored candies are too sweet and gross.

Carol Kilgore said...

I have eaten yellow watermelon before, but it's been a while. I do remember the sweet. Husband is the watermelon person in our family.

Love all the pictures here. Now I want berries and tomatoes!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Mason, I've seen them in the bin with cut melons but I hadn't tried it. I bought this one thinking it was a red fleshed watermelon. I love cantaloupes too. In the summer I like to have melons for breakfast as well as snacks.

Anne, I've done the same and yes, they double in price. You'll have to tell me your daughter's reaction when you get one.

LG it's really good and just different enough to note.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Jo--the one I had looked like a traditional watermelon. It didn't have many seeds. I think it was one of those almost seedless types. There is yellow fleshed watermelons with more yellow skin and green and yellow speckled outer skin.

No, this one was bright yellow inside. There are some with a sort of orangy color flesh too.

Diane, if they use this particular type of watermelon, which is sweet and very juicy, I can see why the candies are.

Makes me curious if they use these watermelon for the wine like they do the reds. I'll have to check that out.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I think I would've had the same reaction as your son. Without the threat of eating everything in the fridge of course.

Andrew Leon said...

I have not had a yellow melon, but, then, I developed an allergy to watermelons while I was in high school, so I haven't really had any since. It's really pretty horrible, because I grew up on a farm eating watermelon all the time.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Alex, if someone had been filming me as I cut into that watermelon and saw yellow...well, they'd have been laughing their ass off. Son was pretty funny. Kinda like how a cat circles around something unfamiliar and slaps it with paw and then jumps back. Cracked me up.

Andrew, aww. That would be a horrible allergy to have. Course, I think any allergies to food is awful. Hopefully, it's not to all melons. :-)

Andrew Leon said...

Watermelon's really the only kind of melon I like, so I've never found out if it extends to other melons or not. heh

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

What a sweet coincidence. I was just thinking of getting some more watermelon from my fridge when I stopped by here. I'll look out for yellow watermelon too. It looks extra pretty.

Be well, Sia.
xoRobyn

Mark Koopmans said...

I just think that it's awesome you were able to write a funny and interesting post about yellow watermelon...

The things that writers can come up with, right:)

PS: I was shopping the other day and bought a bag of spuds... when I came home and washed them I was frightenly surprised to see they were grey on the inside with nary a crispy French fry to be found...

~Sia McKye~ said...

Thanks Mark. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

You live in the islands, bud. There are all sorts of different veggies on the pacific rim, lol!

I know there are *blue* potatoes--well, they look more purplish than blue. I know this because I have a girlfriend that creates several huge organic garden plots and loves to plant all sorts of oddball colored veggies. She's the reason I know that cauliflower can really be violet purple and so can string beans, lol!

I know that those blues kinda turn grey when you boil them. I'm thinking they would make a weird looking french fry...

Yolanda Renee said...

Yellow?

When did that happen? Got to look it up now. Favorite color, but for watermelon?

~Sia McKye~ said...

Yolanda,actually, they've been around for quite a few years. They've just not been available in all markets.

I had seen them at a couple of specialty markets. Some were a bit on the orange side and a few sort of a greenish yellow. The only reason I noticed them was because they were sliced open and wrapped and placed with all the red and pink fleshed ones.

I do know that some of the yellows take less water to grow and so can be grown in hotter and dryer climates. I believe that's where the desert crimson came from.

It's a shock when you cut into one, thinking its a normal watermelon and see bright yellow...

Melissa Sugar said...

I love yellow watermelon. It is my favorite. It's so sweet. I can's find them that often, though. Enjoyed your blog post.

Yolanda Renee said...

Sia,

Asked hubby, he works in a grocery store and he's never seen them. Very pretty. Is it done by chemical, cross breeding? Just curious, like I said I'll have to look it up.
Love learning new things!

Yolanda Renee said...

Oops, I mean cross pollination! :)

Empty Nest Insider said...

I've also never seen a yellow watermelon before. Glad that you and your son enjoyed it.

Julie

~Sia McKye~ said...

Yolanda, they've been around for about 10 years. They're more prevalent now.

I do know that some were developed to withstand less than ideal watermelon growing seasons. Some of the yellows were developed to grow in dryer areas and desert areas.

Not familiar with all the ins and outs of creating a *new* color or texture. But it's being done with lots of veggies and fruits.

I know breeding of dogs (Great Danes) and I know it takes several generations of pups to get what you're aiming for. Female isn't bred until she reaches at least 2 so doing the math, it's time consuming. It means knowing the pedigree back several generations. Having a goal and picking the best lines to achieve it. Very selective in choosing a certain conformation, or color combo and then taking the best of what you get and selective breeding. It takes breeding at least 7 generations to be sure you're getting consistent results with no throwbacks.

But I imagine plants are a bit easier and might have shortcuts and for sure the growing cycle could be expedited.

You'll have to research that part. :-)

~Sia McKye~ said...

Julie, it was good. :-)

Abegail Redford said...

This is my first time to see a yellow watermelon.

Tully S Coffee