Wednesday, April 17, 2013

OH MY...




Oh my moments happen to everyone. Depending upon what’s going on we tend to add more words to the phrase—even colorful metaphors, as Spock would say.

We've all had those moments, haven’t we?

Our mate brings us flowers or a gift elicits a soft response. Walking into the room where our kids just had a pillow fight may provoke a different response and tone. The lady who backs into your car can certainly incite a more inflammatory ending to the phrase. It all depends upon the circumstances.

I've had a few oh my reactions recently. Mostly good and a few surprises.

Saturday, Dan told me we had a bird trying to make a nest in the mailbox. Say what? He removed the twigs. End of story, right? Wrong. I went to go get the mail today and saw an envelope make a loop-de-loop out of the mailbox. Wtf? I look around no wind, just then a catalog slides out. Splat!  I walk up to the mailbox and bent to pick up the mail and the catalog and come eye to eye with a bird, cleaning house—except the house in question was my mailbox. Further more, there were again twigs in my mailbox. Oh my…

I wonder what you charge a determined bird for rent? Eviction notice has been given.

Again.


Last week, as I was leaving to drive my son to work, there was a Red-tail hawk sitting pretty as you please on our fence post. Seeing a big hawk where you weren't expecting to see one provoked a different response

“Oh my god, would you look at that! Isn't he gorgeous?”  

I knew the hawks were back because I had heard their cries (screeches), but while I had seen them flying, I hadn't seen one that close. 

Wow!

On a different note, I’m reading a book that has me glued to the story. I wanted something different to read (pleasure reading—I’m not reading for reviews presently) and decided to pick up THE MAGIC WAKES, by Charity Bradford (you can find her blog here).  

OH MY!

If you like good characters, a well told story, some serious suspense, and like elements of fantasy but mostly sci-fi, this is the book to read. Just…yah. Read it.

Have you had any Oh my moments, lately? Do share.





Due to a glitch, beyond my control, I hope to be able to feature author Julie Stone a bit later. I will be featuring romance author, Julie Walker on Friday (the 17th) and she'll be talking about how she's reacted to public speakingher trialsand triumphs and her latest book (another good read).


11 comments:

Jo said...

We always had a door on our mail box, but we did get wrens nesting in a coffee can full of nails in our shed. Wrens will nest anywhere.

Just remembered something, I did a medical interview and kept a four day diary for a research company and yesterday received a cheque. Oh my, bigger than I expected.

JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

jaybird said...

I'd be so super excited to see a little bird nested in my mail box! But I guess I'm unusually partial to Bird's Nests. LOL

I'll have to check out Charity Bradford's book- sounds like a great read!!

DiscConnected said...

Good thing the hawk wasn't in the mail box...

Donna K. Weaver said...

How funny about the bird making a nest in your mail box. I guess only time will tell if you have to continue battling for that same space.

Sounds like a book.

Melanie Schulz said...

Birds are pretty stubborn when they make up their minds about a location for their nests.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If the bird comes back, you'll just have to buy another mailbox.
Glad you're enjoying Charity's book!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Jo, I have a door on mine, or I did until it broke a couple of years ago. We've never had a bird attempt to make a nest there before.

Jaybird, I love birds too but not in my mailbox. :-)

Disc--I considered putting my cat in there.

No, the hawks will come close--they've nested in our front yard oak tree. That Oak is 4 1/2 feet around at the bottom and over a hundred feet tall spreads out a top story of 30 feet around the trunk--most of my front yard is under that canopy. They've never shown any interest in my mailbox, lolol!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Donna, I'm happy to report no twigs in the mailbox today. I think she got the message.

Melanie--I'm more stubborn. :-)

Alex--not happening. I love Charity's story. Very involving and well told!

Andrew Leon said...

My father-in-law has a red-tail that consistently goes for his dogs.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Andrew, I have some beautiful Woodpeckers around and they can be quite territorial--especially when nesting. Mine leave the cats and dogs alone. There is, however, a Mocking bird that doesn't like my cats since an unfortunate accident with one of it's offspring. I have a set of Swallows that I allow to nest on my patio. They will also dive bomb the cats when it's near the time when the babies fledge.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sia .. I have a seagull who wants to build a nest in a bird bath, who gets desperately upset when I clear the twigs out and put more water in .. I drafted a post about it:

Dear World ...

they keep coming back to try again .. I guess I'll be clearing out the sticks again this year ..

Love the hawk ..

Cheers to you and your feathered friends .. Hilary