Monday, April 15, 2013

MONDAY MUSINGS: IN NEED OF MOSEYING AROUND





Mosey: to move in a leisurely manner.

My husband and I decided this past weekend was to be designated rest and relaxation, and furthermore, we planned it to be a three-day weekend for us. We both needed it and Dan had been giving me the, ‘you’re doing too much and need to pull back on the work schedule’, lecture. He’s right, not that I wanted to admit it to him, lol!

My schedule has been incredibly brutal the past few months. I've had to put in several six-day workweeks, which left me worn out and cranky. Everything, including things I normally enjoy doing, became an effort. I realized my husband was correct when I finished up my workweek on the fourth so tired I cried. So, I took off a week to indulge in moseying mode. Most of last week was sleep and rest approach to it. Once I felt relatively rested and human again, I hauled out my list of spring chores and broke them down into small projects and leisurely made my way through the top of the list. I’m not going to angst over page two onward. Just doing it in a steady manner and have accomplished quite a bit without exhausting myself.


I designate each nice morning to sitting in the sunshine and watch nature at work and it’s perfect for contemplating life, hearing my thoughts. I spend some afternoons lying in the warm sun getting in touch with the peace of nature and watching the clouds. Sunshine is great accompaniment coffee drinking and reading. It puts my life into perspective.

I want to start walking a half a mile a day in the early mornings. I need the regular exercise to get those endorphins going in my system after a winter of sedentary life. It gives you energy to tackle the rest of life with a measure of enjoyment. Relaxing allows for my creativity to revive. I actually felt like writing and have done several poems—my favorite therapy, let me tell you, that felt pretty good. Been feeling like an amputee lately because I had no energy or desire to write.

Friday we headed down to my sister’s and spent the day. We had a blast. Afterward, Dan took me out to dinner. We had a nice leisurely dinner involving wine, good conversation, lots of laughter, just unwinding, and making plans. It was a good day.

Saturday and Sunday I moseyed up to the kitchen table to enjoy breakfast prepared by my extraordinary breakfast cook, aka, my husband Dan. I did a lot of moseying around the homestead this weekend. I puttered in the garden areas, clearing dead stuff out, raking the protective covering of leaves away, while listening to the birds and the wind in the trees. We were able to get a few projects done inside. Sunday was mowing the lawn before this week’s rains come in. We had some spot work to do on the roof where a limb had broken off the tree in the back brushed the back of the house during heavy winds. Dan and my son Jake took care of that while I did other things.

One of the good things about having the time to hear my thoughts and be reflective is I've determined I need less stress in my life and in work. So, I’m looking at training in another skill that’s much less intensive so I do have time to let my creativity out to play. I don’t do well when I’m on the New York minute and I’m out of balance.

This has been a nice mosey along week. I’m enjoying it.



  • How about you? Have you had time to mosey? Or are you on the New York time clock?



24 comments:

Melanie Schulz said...

Sunday is all about the mosey. I enjoyed mine utterly and completely.

Jen Forbes said...

We went on over to Home Depot and purchased some herbs and flowers for our pots and hanging baskets.

Then my husband and I went to lunch, wings and beers..there's nothing like wings and beers on a Saturday afternoon when it's sunny and warm.

Last night after supper we finished the last hanging basket! Everything looks super!

Glad you had such a fabulous weekend!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Once the A to Z has ended, I am moseying down to Wilmington for a relaxing weekend.

Hart Johnson said...

Oh, man. I could definitely use some moseying time. Unfortunately, until about July, I need to keep plowing. Too much to get done to take a break--all in different domains, so nobody but me really gets the full impact... book release in May, big family thing in June that includes coordinating a lot of travel...

Whole Foods Living said...

Your long weekend sounds wonderful! I need to slow down my pace a bit too. 3 weeks until a week vacation with the hubby. I can't wait!! :) Happy A-to-Z 2013! ~Angela, Whole Foods Living, http://www.wholefoodsliving.blogspot.com/

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I know how to chill, but it's been a while since I moseyed.
Glad you got out and enjoyed yourself. I need a weekend like that. Soon.

Susan Roebuck said...

What a nice husband you have! Mine wouldn't notice if I keeled over LOL. It's important that we know when we're doing too much - you crying was a huge signal from your body. I hope you've recharged your batteries now and can write.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Melanie, Sundays make great mosey days.

Diane, sounds like a good plan to me. Glad to see you contemplating a mosey along weekend!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Jen, I'm jealous. I still have a couple spices growing. I want a more comprehensive herbs and spices garden and pots sound perfect!

I haven't gotten around to flowers in pots just yet--manana, well next week. I love having flowers around me and since kneeling ain't happening I've been looking at various pots and planters and how to arrange them in the yard.

But first--must apply kill the japanese Beatle larva so I have unmunched roses in July. HATE those damn things.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Angela, I'm enjoying your blog! Yes, we needed the long weekend and Friday night we were discussing vacation ideas. Nothing elaborate but fun and relaxing.

Alex, I'm sure you'd be great at moseying. Lolol! Long weekends are great for nurturing our other half and ourself.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Sue, definitely! This is where having the time to listen to your body comes into play. Batteries are charging but not yet at full charge. I'm working on it.

Jen Chandler said...

Mosey. Such a wonderful word. You have to even say it slowly, savor it, roll it around your mouth.

Glad you got to enjoy some down time. I'm looking forward to some down time of my own.

Cheers,
Jen

Nick Wilford said...

We definitely need to refresh every now and then because it's hard to think when we're running around full tilt. Helps us reprioritise what is important.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Sia,

Glad you have time to recharge your batteries. WE ALL NEED this time.

I always make time for my walks weather the beaches of Florida or the lakefront in Chicago. Water is soothing and the seabirds are great inspiration to me. I clear my head and the physical activity is good for my body.

I don't have a lot of down time because I LOVE activity... but for me this works.... Nature is a big part of my life, even if I am sprinting by it ....

Marcy said...

How wonderful that you've had a week to relax and mosey! Good luck with figuring out how to slow down the pace on a more permanent basis.

Carol Kilgore said...

No moseying time for me, but I'm taking some in May. I can hardly wait.

Clarissa Draper said...

Great post! I know that I enjoy the weekends where I can mosey. I don't get those very often but I'm trying to enjoy life more.

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Hey hon,

Well, I'm glad to see you are doing well...I've tried to IM you without luck.

E me if you get a chance...I've missed you!

Hugs
Hawk

L.G. Smith said...

I've been taking time off the blog but can't say I've done a lot of moseying around, other than to catch up on some books and movies. It's so important to recharge after pushing it to the limit though.

Gina Gao said...

This sounds like a great long weekend! It was nice to hear that you have been relaxing.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Ciara said...

I want a turn in that hammock. It makes me sleepy just seeing it. :)

Al said...

Definitely on a Sydney (or New York) type of time-frame at the moment. With rebuilding the house we hope to move in to I am putting in a good seven day week at the moment.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sia .. can I swap places?! Sounds just wonderful and just what was needed .. you're obviously making the most of your moseying ..

Cheers Hilary

Barbara White Daille said...

Hi - I saw your comment on an A to Z post and thought I'd mosey on over to check out your blog. ;) Love it!

I really don't do enough moseying, unless getting lost in e-mail counts--and that's not always a good thing.

Barbara
X Marks the Spot
The Daille-y News