Friday, August 3, 2012

M.L. BUCHMAN: YOU WRITE WHAT?



I'd like to welcome romance author, M.L. (Matt) Buchman, to Over Coffee. Here's your cuppa hot chocolate, no whip, Matt and a nice comfy chair to sit in while you visit us. 
Matt wrote one of my favorite books of the year, I Own The Dawn--part of The Night Stalkers Series. Those who know me realize, by now, that I love kick-ass stories served with a healthy dollop of romance. I say, I Own The Dawn is one of my favorites because I initially read this on my Kindle and then promptly ordered a print copy, along with the first in this series, The Night Is Mine, for my keeper shelf. Let me just say, there are only a few books I will read on the kindle and then order the print copy. This is one I know I'll enjoy reading a second time. You can read my 5 star review on Goodreads.
Matt talks a bit about what made him get into writing and the shock value of being a man who writes romance (and does it very well).

Hey Sia and thanks for having me for a little sit down. Don’t mind me if I have hot cocoa instead (no whip, please). I know, I’ve lived in the Pacific NW for thirty years, starting back when Starbucks was still only one store (now almost 20,000). Worse, I was a computer geek for over a decade, no coffee on those round the clock nights either. Anyway…

My journey to writing came late. Perhaps it was just how eclectic my background was/is. My day job resume just makes employers laugh. (And recruiters weep. Honestly, I think it’s a bit cruel. I often buy them a cuppa in apology.) I’ve worked in live theater (where I learned about electricity, lighting, sound, and dialog). And fast food (where I learned how to really tick off a parent who’d paid for a good college education in geophysics –possibly the only field I’ve never worked in).

I got a job as a paralegal, but discovered I was better at computers. I climbed fast and far, right into a high-end consultancy that blew up in my face. (There is a point to this, really; bear with just a moment longer.) So there I was in that classic place; lost the business, the career, the house, and I thought, “Hey, I could get on bicycle and go around the world.” (18 months and 15 countries later, that’s exactly what I’d done.)

The weird thing was, out there in the middle of nowhere (and I mean way out there), I started into writing. At first it was a little bit of a story. But it expanded and it grew. As the months rolled by beneath my wheels, I wrote my first novel and discovered something really cool. The best job on the planet must be sitting around and making s--- up! I get to read anything I want and call it research. I managed to write off a trip to Europe for one novel and I’ve interviewed a female U.S. Army helicopter chief mechanic for another. As a matter of fact, I interviewed her for this book, I Own the Dawn, and the one to follow in the winter, Wait Until Dark.

Sure, I go to my day job, but my heart isn’t there anymore. It’s out on a flight to somewhere. It’s snuggling up in the dark after hot sex and discussing unexpected truths. It’s about sitting down and discovering that the one person you truly need in your life is seated right across from you. I can’t believe I get to share my worlds and my words with readers. That is the greatest high of all. The thing that jazzes me up and keeps me up for hours after a long work day, getting to share my stories.

“You do what?!” I write romances.


  • What do you do to startle those around you? Or what do you wish you did? I’d love to hear. 


And please check out the contest page on my website: by following along my blog tour for the month of August, you will have multiple chances to win a signed copy of I Own the Dawn:  http://www.matthewlieberbuchman.com/?p=294


BUY: AMAZON, B&N
I OWN THE DAWN BY M.L. BUCHMAN – IN STORES AUGUST 2012

Name: Archibald Jeffrey Stevenson III
Rank: First Lieutenant, Dap Hawk Copilot
Mission: Strategy and execution of special ops maneuvers

Name: Kee Smith
Rank: Sergeant, Night Stalker Gunner and Sharpshooter
Mission: Whatever it takes to get the job done

You Wouldn't Think It Could Get Worse, Until It Does...

When a special mission slowly unravels, it is up to Kee and Archie to get their team out of an impossible situation with international implications. With her weaponry knowledge and his strategic thinking, plus the explosive attraction that puts them into exact synchrony, together they might just have a fighting chance. 


I apologize, I don't have an excerpt link but you can read the first chapter on Amazon preview.







M. L. Buchman has worked in fast food, theater, computers, publishing, and light manufacturing. It's amazing what you can do with a degree in geophysics. At one point he sold everything and spent 18-months riding a bicycle around the world. In 11,000 miles, he touched 15 countries and hundreds of amazing people. Since then, he has acquired a loving lady, the coolest kid on the planet, and lives in Portland, Oregon.


For more information, please visit http://www.matthewlieberbuchman.com/.
Sign in here for a chance to win a free copy. Also, be sure to check the Contest page for a chance to win a free, signed copy of I Own the Dawn.

20 comments:

~Sia McKye~ said...

Matt, welcome to Over Coffee! I love Sci-fi too so I'm going to have to check out your books in that genre.

I do love The Night Stalkers series! I'm looking forward to the next book in the series and learning a bit more about Big John!

Creepy Query Girl said...

Fantastic guest spot! I loved the way Matt described 'the best job'. It really is. And the road to writing could be a book all on it's own!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like his description of the best job ever! And hey, not a coffee drinker either.

Liza said...

Just goes to show it's never to late to decided who you need to be.

Jo said...

Yes, it does seem unlikely that a man would write romances, but why not?

Anne Gallagher said...

Kudo's to you Matt for writing romance. I just think that is so cool.

Thanks Sia, for another great post.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Katie, it could indeed be a book, especially the whole wandering through the middle of nowhere.

Alex-I still like you despite the fact you have eschewed my favorite drink. I figure the fact you write fun Sci-fi and play the guitar makes up for it. *wink

Liza- well said

~Sia McKye~ said...

Jo, some of the movies I've really enjoyed have been written by male writers and include some good romance. Love is magical and something fallen into by both sexes. lolol!

Anne--I loved the book. Matt does a great job on telling a good story and I love his style of romance.

Johanna Garth said...

Hi Matt, (waves) I'm a Portland writer too. Nice to meet you and hear about your interesting path to writing.

Helen Ginger said...

Writing is the best job ever!! I like the cover. You don't often see the woman holding the gun.

M. L. Buchman said...

Sia: Thanks for the cocoa and the great review.
Jo: I'm the mush of the family. I cry at the end of "Wizard of Oz." I can watch "Notting Hill" five times in a row (I know, because I did one week), especially that 4 seasons sequence in the middle. I'm an absolute nut romantic (you'll see that if you follow the rest of my blog tour for "I Own the Dawn").
Johanna: come to the next RWA chapter meeting in Portland -meet ya there.
Helen: I actually had to push pretty hard to get the gun in the heroine's hands and a dog tag chain for book 1 heroine. I want you to know right away, these are strong, powerful, military women. Not some babe in a bar, but right in the thick of it.
Liza: The mid-life crisis on wheels was at 35, nearly 2 decades on and I'm still reinventing myself. :)
ML "Matt" Buchman (during a few stolen minutes at work)

Arlee Bird said...

I like eclectic lives. Why get stuck in a rut all ones life? I haven't tried writing romance, but I can admire a guy taking on that challenge and succeeding.


Lee
Wrote By Rote

M. L. Buchman said...

Arlee: One of my favorite comic strips was of a woman so deep in rut you can't even see her. The next day's strip her head was just popping up over the edge. The character noted that she now had "a rut with a view." (I almost split a gut. It was taped up on my wall for years.) I've never been one to get stuck in a rut, I like the view too much. Hey, it let me write a romance, and that was sure fun.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Matt, thank you for writing such and entertaining story. I loved Notting Hill, although I haven't seen quite as many times as you have. *grin

I would agree, your female leads aren't at all ordinary. They are warriors. I count several in my circle of friends.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Arlee, I've always thought elective lives much more interesting. I admire anyone who can tell a absorbing story. That's magic.

Matt, I can see why it shared space on your wall. I laughed when I read the tag line for it!

Kimberly Gabriel said...

I loved Matt's career path to becoming a writer and of course, I love the "best job ever" description. Great guest spot Matt and Sia!

~Sia McKye~ said...

thank you Kim! Matt had a great article! I'm glad you stopped by.

ali cross said...

Awesome! I love kick-ass stories too, so thanks for the introducing me to these!

Charmaine Clancy said...

I'm starting to form a theory that creative people do have eclectic resumes. It's not so much about getting bored with one thing (although there is that) but, spotting something new and sparkly we want to try. We're easily inspired :) (and sadly distracted).

I love the sound of this book, it's definitely going on my TBR list, I'm going to grab a copy right now!

CMD said...

I'm a scientist-in-training looking to finish a Ph.D. from one fine institution of tertiary education in whose yahd you can't pahk yah cah and hoping to do nothing with said doctorate... my parents will be so proud :P

Surprising thing? People look at me oddly when I tell them I do Krav Maga & could probably put them in the hospital... I'm a whopping 5'3" scrawny kid!