Wednesday, October 24, 2012

DEER ME —WE INTERRUPT THE NORMALLY SCHEDULED PROGRAM




My apologies, Lori Foster was to be my guest Wednesday, with her fabulous book, Run The Risk, but due to circumstances beyond my control we will have that interview at a later date. 

This is not due to anything on Lori's part but mine. 

See, we had a bit of an accident...






We're entering the most dangerous month when it comes to deer-vehicle accidents due to deer migration along with mating season. 

Drivers usually have a very short span of time to react when a deer darts out in front of our car—as was the case with my husband at dusk Tuesday. He barely caught a flash of fur in his peripheral and although he reacted by braking and moving towards the shoulder of the road, the deer still hit the front left of the Jeep. The others in the herd missed him or he missed them. 




If he hadn't seen the flash the deer would have ended up on the hood and probably through the windshield and who knows where the Jeep would have ended up. 






He’s banged up, the deer walked/limped away with the rest of the group, and the Jeep? Well, it didn't fare as well. Front end doesn't look good, radiator’s shot, he lost two belts when the radiator caved, and the left front tire is damaged. 

Sigh.

And another car bites the dust.


Friday, my guest will be Terry Spear, with her new Jaguar series.

15 comments:

DonnaGalanti said...

Sia, sorry to hear and so glad your husband is okay! We are overrun by deer here in PA right now and they can cause just awful accidents.

Jo said...

Sorry to hear this. Hope he will be OK with his bruises, etc. At least it wasn't a moose!!!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Thanks Donna. Yah, during this time of the year the deer are bad. It's bow hunting season, mating season, and the deer start migrating to their fall and winter feeding areas.

This deer was in a panic. Like Dan said, she was running full out when she hit the road. Something spooked the small herd because they all were running. You have no time to react beyond braking some.

Usually the deer are cautious about crossing Hwy 63 because of the traffic, the little country roads surrounding the area we live in, not so much.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Jo, I'm glad it wasn't a moose or an elk. Yikes.

He has to be careful with being jarred. He has damage to his neck and that problematic because if he's hit the wrong way it could have serious consequences. That was our biggest fear. But everything looks okay with his neck.

Jo said...

Something you don't need to take chances with. Best wishes to him.

Kat Sheridan said...

YIKES! Glad to hear he's going to be ok, but total bummer on the vehicle!

Sarah Ahiers said...

ugh, that stinks!
I had a friend who hit 3 deer last year (to be fair, one of those three actually hit HER) and after that, her insurance dropped her. Which seemed totally unfair to me, since she can't control the deer

~Sia McKye~ said...

Oh, I know, Sarah. We have insurance for accidents. Of course I worry because this is the second claim on one of our vehicles since August. The underwriters start looking at you when you've had 3 claims and it doesn't have to be your fault for them to drop you.

Yep, sucks.

Johanna Garth said...

Oh my goodness! I grew up in deer country and I know how harmful a deer crash can be. So glad you're alright!

Melanie Schulz said...

I know, we have deer everywhere, too. I'm glad everything (minus JEEP) is alright

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm sorry! In other words, Bambi hit your husband, not the other way around?

Gwen Gardner said...

Glad everyone's all right! It really is deer season. Where we live, the deer have been lying around in our yard and eating up all the down aspen leaves they can find.

Liza said...

Hope your husband is Okay! I just missed a deer once. I still cringe and drive slowly when I drive by the place.

Terry Spear said...

Yikes, Sia, glad your husband is fine!!! I hit a deer once with the Suburban in the mountains of Arkansas. Luckily, though he was a huge buck, I only hit the corner of him and he stumbled, then ran off.

I didn't think I'd had any damage, but I took the vehicle in for something else, and the service attendant said you've had an accident. I said, "No, I hadn't." I wasn't thinking of the no-fault deer run-in, nor that it had done any damage. Sure enough when he pointed it out to me, the heavy bumper had been shoved in and behind that, cracked. If I'd been driving something smaller, we would have been stranded in the mountains with a totalled car!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sia .. gosh - so pleased to read your hubby is 'ok' - no doubt very shaken ..

By now I hope things have improved all round .. with thoughts to you both .. cheers Hilary