Monday, July 30, 2012

MONDAY MUSINGS—IN AWE OF THE CREATIVE PROCESS






I’m always in awe of creative people. It doesn't matter if it's a book they're writing, a room they're decorating, a new recipe, an outfit or a piece of artwork they're doing; the process is fascinating to watch, as is the end product. Especially those who see a concept and decide they can either do it better or they want to give it a try to see what they can come up with. Creative projects can refresh us. Our creativity in one area can jump start it in another.

I've been watching, with interest, a close friend of mine’s ongoing project over the past few months. Wendy’s renewing her vows next month and wanted to make it special (she tells me she’s as excited with the renewal ceremony as she was with her initial wedding).

The project, I’ve been watching with amazement, is her making her bouquet as well as all the flowers arrangements for her ceremony. Now, I have a brother-in-law who is an award winning designer—very creative and does beautiful work. He also designs floral arrangements for weddings and I’m well aware of the costs involved—even for simple arrangements. The bride’s bouquet usually averages about $150, depending upon the design. Factor in bridesmaids, boutineres, mothers’ corsages, table arrangements, and altar arrangements; you can easily spend $500 to a $1200 on flowers alone (and we won't talk about celebrity weddings). Mind boggling, isn’t it? You add some bling to the bouquets and you’re talking some major money.

Let me show you what Wendy has done.



Basic flowers and a few pieces of basic bling. Nothing remarkable. Sorta blah, but we see enough of the pieces to know where it's going. 


Much like a story we create. The scene has the basic components and then we edit. And this is where the lesson, you can't edit what doesn't exist, really comes into play.

Wendy called this a hot mess. She's editing and shading. 

Here's two of the boutineres
You can click on the pictures
and it will enlarge.
She's taken the basic flowers and bling and she's added a bit more ribbons and bows along with more interesting bling. There are some unique pieces here.

Over time she worked on various pieces of the arrangements, the corsages, boutineres, and the center bouquet. I have a lot of pictures but I'll spare you and show you what she had at the end of her first full edit:


An artist has an inner vision. Taking that vision and tweaking it through various edits until it resembles what we're seeing inside takes time and a certain amount of patience.

So long as our goal is to make our artistic project the best we can make it, we're moving forward. 

Sometimes we look at something and think, this is really nice but something's not working for me. Or something is missing. At this point we start moving or removing parts. As Wendy explained, she looked at it and thought, no, closed her eyes and started cutting. Ouch. That had to be painful. 

When you compare the two you see the work that went into the next edit of the arrangements.

Looks like a treasure chest, doesn't it? I recognize various pieces and I can see where Wendy has moved them for better effect. She's added more color, variety, and texture. The end result is fuller and richer. Not so crowded and the overall edit brought more impact to the piece. 

It's beautiful. 

What a difference between what she started out with and where she ended up.

The creative process is fascinating and reminds me that the process is a matter of stages and steps. It's also a matter of focus and an awareness of our overall vision. We can't lose sight of that or we end up with a mess.

Like Wendy says, everything has edits.




Most creative people I know are creative in more than one discipline. I think the variety adds pleasure to life. Switching from one to another refreshes and revives. Wendy is also an author but what she's created here is awesome.

  • What about you? What's in your creative bucket?


FYI: There are a couple of interesting blog hops going on with some lovely prizes:


FOR INFO CLICK HERE
FOR INFO CLICK HERE



25 comments:

Karen Walker said...

That is just exquisite. I am in awe.
Karen

Jo said...

It is lovely isn't it?

I used to write poetry, don't do so any more. Not really creative these days.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Jo-you cook and try out new recipes. I'd say cooking is also creative.:-)

Jemi Fraser said...

Wow - I'm impressed!

I love to cook and bake (nothing fancy) as well :)

Kat Sheridan said...

Bling!! Beautiful BLING!!! I may have to think up a reason for celebrating just so I can have some of this gorgeous stuff!! I am awestruck.

As for my own creativity, I dabble at many things but never really take the time to master them. I do cross stitch, and write occassionally, and am pretty fearless when it comes to baking, and even more fearless with decorating.

Wendy, wishing you much success with your new business, and much joy in your vow renewal (and obviously, you're very good at staging photos as well, which takes real talent!)

Johanna Garth said...

Those flowers are beautiful and I agree, whatever path the creative process takes, it's always fascinating to observe.

J.L. Campbell said...

So many things in life are like the creative process and we have to work at them to get them to the point where we're satisfied with the end result.

Anne Gallagher said...

Wow those bouquets are amazing. I love that bling she used. And the dragonfly is awesome. Hope you have a great time at that wedding.

Courtney Vail said...

Very pretty bouquets. I loved the editing tie-in for all types of artists. I never really thought about that before, but it's true. Thanks for the plug for the Authors Around the World Blog Hop.

James Rafferty said...

Very impressive result, but not without extra thought and attention to get it to that point. In that respect, this process IS much like a writing project. This kind of visual craft reminds me of the types of projects my mom used to enjoy putting together.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

She did a good job.
Creativity does spill into many areas. I enjoy guitar playing as much as writing.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Jemi, it's still a creative process.

Kat- I've seen your fearless creativity in decorating and they're all gorgeous! I have a few creative outlets as well. Some I do very well with others not so much. I still enjoy them.:-)

~Sia McKye~ said...

Oh, I agree Johanna!

JL you said it right. It's always edits and work progress.

My mom had many creative outlets--probably where her kids got the love of theirs, but one thing I've always admired about mama. We moved frequently. Where ever we lived my mom made it home. I think it takes a knack to take a strange new place and imbue it with the feel, smell, and atmosphere that says HOME. Not all houses say home do they?

~Sia McKye~ said...

Anne, Wendy is an awesome person and very creative. I love what she did with this!

Courtney, my pleasure on the plug! As for the visual tie in to writing, it fit and like you say, it's true.

Not always easy to rip apart something and revamp it. I read one of the author blogs--Margo Kelley--and she just mentioned cutting 10k words. Talk about ouch.

~Sia McKye~ said...

James, attention to details. Yep. That's it and the fact if you're thinking and reasoning on how to make something better, the visual here shows when don't lose the *pieces*. They're all there, just arranged slightly different and more shading and adding to make it pop! I think in the beginning that was what scared me the most--all those pieces. When I compare it to visual art, it helps.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Alex, one of these days I'd like to hear your playing.

You've mentioned before that moving to your guitar has helped you work through some manuscript problems. I think it's the exercising and staying in the creative side of our brain that helps with working through problems. :-)

M Pax said...

Wow, those turned out beautifully. Not sure I would have thought to do that.

Rek said...

Those are awesome, I admire people with that kind of talent.
I just dabble with colours, create some colourful designs on fabric and clay, nothing exquisite as this but a fun hobby that keeps me happy.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Creative hobbies do make us happy and that's what counts, Rek.

MPax-me either. I'd have just let the brother in law do it for me. But this is beautiful work. I never thought of mixing bling and flowers.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Most impressive post.

Yvonne.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Hey Yvonne. Big hugs to you!

sherilynwinrose said...

Thank you all for your enthusiasm. If it weren't for Kat and her love of all that glitters, I wouldn't have thought of this either. I wasn't going to have flowers. AND then I saw the brooch bouquets in links she sent me. You can see where that went.

In as much as I don't have an ID under my given name that will work to post this, I'll have to w/my pen name.

Great day to all

Stephen Tremp said...

Wow! That looks like a lot of work and real artisitic talent! Wendy is amazing!

Not sure if I have any talents. I can hold my breath for 47 seconds.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Well, Steve, that will do something for the creative spirit, I'm sure. lol! When you start breathing all the great ideas pour into your mind. Hmm, must try this.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Oh sure, Wendy. I'm careful with your identity and there you go. Sheesh.

Blame it all on Kat, lol! She does like her shiny things. But all this? It far surpasses anything she showed you!