Monday, June 8, 2015

MONDAY MUSINGS THE PAUSE BETWEEN SPRING AND SUMMER




When my spirit is troubled, sad, or feeling stressed, I tend to walk. There’s something about being out among the trees and pastures that soothes me. Everything is so lush and green. Part of that is because we’ve had a cool spring and a lot of rain and part of it is because June is a beautiful month; it’s that moment’s pause between spring and summer.



My walking path meanders all over our property, looping back and forth leading me through trees and shrubs and across the pastures. There are many little hidden glens filled with wildflowers. As I wander and pause, hidden in the trees, I see all sorts of critters.







I’ve caught sight of foxes and their kits, the quiet glide of a coyote with her pups and watched them play like the puppies they are. We have two ponds on the property. I usually stop at the one about a quarter of a mile down behind the house. There are a lot of interesting sights to see if one is quiet and still. Lot of wildlife. At one end of the pond a pair of wood ducks have made a home and raise their babies. There’s a big abandoned tractor tire that we leave down there for them to hide in or around. I have yet to be able to get a picture of them. Always I see the ducklings swimming near the tire when I don’t have my camera.



The pond is a nursery area for deer, turkeys, quail, and I’ve seen woodchucks and armadillos—which are quite comical to watch. They’re also very playful and it lifts even the lowest spirits. There is a small herd of deer that graze on the other side of the pond and let their fawns run and play. They bring a smile to my face as they play tag and dash about. Usually this group raises several sets of twins. They’re fun to watch. The deer bed down not far from the pond at night. I’m assured of seeing them in the late afternoon.


Being outside on the property strokes all my senses. I breathe in the rich smell of growing things, the scent of the forest, a hint of wildflowers and wild roses tickle my nose. Birdsong fills the air, the hum of bees, the greeting from my horses, and company of my pride of ‘walking’ cats. We have many butterflies feasting on the wildflowers, the comedic antics of the hummingbirds fussing and chasing each other. They make me laugh, silly things. This afternoon there was an added addition of a turkey hen and her brood of about 9 chicks, I say about, because they tend to move rather quickly so it’s hard to count them accurately.


That pause between spring and summer is a great time to walk. It's where I find my peace and I smile.


22 comments:

Jay Noel said...

I just sat outside late at night last night. Sat with my wife next to our pond's waterfall while the heat lightning lit up the sky. It was a great way to end the weekend and kickstart our workweek.

Jo said...

I am envious of your walking paths and the wildlife you see. I envy Jay's property too. How very nice to be able to see such nature. Sadly, even if I lived where you do Sia, I don't think I could do a lot of walking any more although I am better than I was. Your descriptions alone raised my spirits.

Jo said...

I am envious of your walking paths and the wildlife you see. I envy Jay's property too. How very nice to be able to see such nature. Sadly, even if I lived where you do Sia, I don't think I could do a lot of walking any more although I am better than I was. Your descriptions alone raised my spirits.

Dianne K. Salerni said...

These are splendid photos. You remind me that when my spirit is troubled or sad, a visit to our cabin in the Poconos always provides a cure. We rent it out a lot, but you've inspired me to check out when the next opening is. I might want to grab it for myself!

shelly said...

Sounds like a beautiful scenic walk.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Wish I could stroll out back and see wildlife like that.
And we barely had a pause in late April.

Elephant's Child said...

How absolutely beautiful. A walk like that, wildlife like that, would soothe my soul and excite my senses.
Thank you for sharing the magic.

dolorah said...

Id do a lot of walking too if I lived there.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Loved your pictures. Taking walks has been so helpful to me in dealing with all the challenges of my life changes this last year. It really makes me feel better to walk when I'm stressed or feeling sad.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I've never seen baby turkeys.

We've been wild kingdom around here lately - nesting birds, deer, squirrels, mice, snakes, frogs, and turkey vultures.

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

It's so lush and gorgeous there, and this last photo is amazing.
Keep enjoying the beautiful outdoors, Sia.

~Sia McKye~ said...

JAY--you live here in Missouri as well, don't you. We had heat lightning but we also had several thunderstorms blow through. A waterfall, that would be cool. We have a few small ones on creek. I love the sound. :-)

JO--I do love my area and I love seeing the animals, but then I watch for them. Sometimes they're right there--unexpected. Most of the time it means being quiet and watching for a flicker or a shadow that moves and my eye focuses. As far as walking, I have some major issues with my knees being basically shot--too many falls on them as a kid and sports I played. Not ready for replacements. My orthapedic Doc says the walking I'm doing is actually helping and is the best thing for me. I'm doing strength training with the hills and uneven ground. I also have a small set of 6 stairs outside that I make a point to walk up and down several times a day. I don't do well with stairs but it helps strengthen those muscles.

SHELLY--it is a beautiful walk even in August. :-)

~Sia McKye~ said...

Dianne--the Poconos are gorgeous. There is something about being surrounded by scenes of natural beauty that is soothing to the spirit. I've captured quite a few pics of the animals around here over the past few years. Some good, some not but I enjoy it and each has a memory.

ALEX--there are times I don't see anything or very few. Sometimes it's the timing and knowing their patterns. I say it's been cool, for the most part, but our temps have been upper 80's and lower 90's but we've had lots of rain.

ELEPHANTS CHILD--I think spotting wildlife is magical at any time. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Delorah--it's pretty. I know when I live in California there were quite a few hidden areas of beauty in Napa and Sonoma counties. Where ever I lived I've always sought it out. :-)

~Sia McKye~ said...

NATALIE--Walking is the greatest therapy, imo. For sure it helps reset my thinking and appreciation. Glad it's helping you!

Diane--to be honest, I hear them much more than see them. This year I've seen several hens and poults. I hear you on the wild kingdom, lol! It's the same here.

ROBYN--Thank you. The last picture was actually captured by a friend of mine. I have captured several pics of foxes and kits but that one makes me smile.

Lexa Cain said...

What a beautiful post and pics! You live in a wonderful spot, so full of the beauty of nature. Have a great week! :)

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

nice shots :)

Chrys Fey said...

Walking brings me peace too. It clears me head and heals me of my troubles and stresses. It also helps my creative juices to start flowing.

Those pictures are great. I love the last one with the fox! So cute. :)

Al Penwasser said...

I love this time of year. Having shaken off winter, the world is alive with new growth. Then, things start to turn brown, hot, and dry. We yearn for the relief of cooler weather. Then, it eventually turns cold and we wonder, "What the heck were we complaining about????"

~Sia McKye~ said...

LEXA--I'm always thankful for my little spot in the world. :-) Hope your week is great, too!

MAC--thank you. I haven't had time to work on some of the great shots of animals I've seen. I have a few and I need to sit down and do some editing of those, but usually great shots involve 40 pictures to get one or two and then patience to time the walk to the wildlife.

Chrys--exactly. It's a good stressbuster...

AL-- we tend to find things to complain about regardless. :-) But I do know what you mean. Still, already it's June and time is moving all too fast. Where's the breaks?

Yolanda Renee said...

What a beautiful land. You're so lucky, such wonders, and the critters too! What a wonderful way to feed your muse!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

We have lots of deer in our backyard. I'm expecting to see the new fawns any day now. Turtles, skunks and lots of birds make it fun.

M Pax said...

I'm jealous you have such great paths to walk with such wonderful things to see. Just beautiful. We went straight into awful heat here.