Monday, February 16, 2015

MONDAY'S MUSINGS—SNOW AND MORE SNOW


Today, as snow continues to fall, I’m thinking it’s a great day for snuggling up with a nice cup of tea or coffee and reading a good book. I’m rereading parts of the Carpathian series written by Christine Feehan. Some I haven’t read in ten years, but I’m enjoying the visit with some of my favorite characters.  There are a couple of movies we have lined up to watch as well. I haven’t seen the first two Iron Man movies and so hope to catch up on those.

Unless we lose power. Then it’s books by lantern light and crank up either the woodstove to heat food and water for coffee, or our propane camp stove. Fortunately, we don’t have an electric ignition on our backup wall heater so staying warm won’t be a problem. I always have about 70 gallons of water on hand and extra few gallons for flushing and dish washing. We’re set.

We’re right in the midst of  rapidly falling snow. We’ve been told to expect in excess of two inches an hour within the heavy bands of snow and we’re smack-dab in the middle of one of those heavy bands. Thankfully, it’s a short but intense storm. We were hoping we’d be in the 4-7 inch band. I should have known better, lol! Our band might only drop ten inches on us unless it shifts and if it does, then we’re looking at a foot of snow by the time it stops later this afternoon. Maybe we’ll get lucky and it will shift the other way.

Dan last year shoveling after our late January snow storm.
Fortunately, there’s no school or work for the family as it’s a Federal holiday. Dan and Jake have a date with the snow shovels once the snow stops later after lunch. While they’re shoveling,  Melissa and I will be hauling out grain and hay for the horses and feed for the Danes—they have insulated oak dog houses with a half bale of hay inside to snuggle up in. All we have to do is break a hole in the ice for the animals to reach the water. The rabbits will need new water along with hay and grain. We have a system down and it usually takes us about fifteen-twenty minutes to do all the feeding but the with the deep snow it might be more like thirty-forty minutes. I guarantee, I’ll be putting on my carharts insulated overalls, winter parka, and my snow boots. They guys will haul out several buckets of water. We’ll be more than ready for a hot meal and movies for the afternoon.

I know all this snow is heading straight for Kentucky—enjoy it Keith (Optimistic Existentialist) because you will probably be getting even more snow than we have.
  • More than 55 million people live in areas that are currently under a wind chill warning or advisory.
  • An additional 50 million are under winter storm warnings, stretching from Oklahoma to South Carolina and up to New Jersey. (CNN Weather facts)


Hope all stay safe and warm.


16 comments:

Kat Sheridan said...

Sounds like you have it all figured out, and what a bonus that all the family will be there to help out and share the coziness! Hope it ends up missing you!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Sounds like a good day to stay in. Hope you don't lose power. We don't have as much snow but it's bitter cold-highs are at 9. Can't wait for tomorrow when we get a brief break with the weather getting up to 20.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

I wish you vicarious sunshine from Tampa way.

Maria Zannini said...


I don't envy you having to tend animals in the cold. I usually carry hot water to all the waterers. Mine won't drink if the water is cold and they're already cold.

Hope the storm passes quickly.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I'm with ya sista. The snowfall has stopped for now. We have about 3 inches.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

We're getting a few inches from that over night but I'm not complaining because my daughter is in Boston where they've had about 7 feet of snow this winter so far. We can deal with a foot or so. Stay warm.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Kat--I try to be as prepared as possible and it makes it so much easier to deal with being closed off from everything. It's cozy and I'll admit, I'm enjoying that aspect of it and having my family around me. There hasn't been a vehicle on our road all morning. That will probably change in a few hours.

Natalie--I had to laugh when you mentioned looking forward to a rise in temps to 20 degrees. I'm with you on that, lol! So far,we had a few flickers in the lights last night in the sleet, but that's it. Internet has been really spotty. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Mac--I have several friends in Florida sending me vicarious sunshine while not rubbing in their temps, lol! In fact, Kat lives in Florida. Enjoy your day!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Maria--I give warm water to my outside cats and the rabbits. The horses and dogs are fine with cold. If it gets really cold I mix the grains for the horses in warm water and molasses. I'll also mix up a serving of warm dogfood for the Danes. They eat dry food but warm water makes a nice treat.
Snow is supposed to taper off by 3 this afternoon.

Theresa--we've had lulls in the snowfall, when I took my inside Dane out this morning for a potty break we have about 6 inches I'm hoping that it will stop accumulating soon. Still snowing.

Susan--my in-laws live in about an hour west of Boston, in Worchester. They have gotten a lot of snow this year.

Here, in the Ozarks, we have lots of small towns with 75% of the people living in the outlaying countryside on gravel county roads that never get plowed. Anything over a couple of inches has a big impact. I'm 8 miles from my little flyspeck town and they don't plow the paved road that leads to our County Road. We're a mile down a county road. My nearest neighbor lives a mile beyond us and has his monster tractor and he will usually run it to clear the County Road some, so he can get out. They're in their 60's and need to be able to get out if necessary. We benefit from that :-)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Enjoy your snowfall. We might see ice tonight. Hope you don't lose power - that would suck.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Snow must be everywhere today, Sia! It looks like we have gotten 9 inches so far here in KY, with another 5-6 inches to come!!

cleemckenzie said...

All that snow really looks pretty to me. I live where the word snow has to be glossed for anyone to know what it means.

Happy spring!

Jemi Fraser said...

You're well prepared! We've got the super cold, but no snow this weekend. Our snow banks are huge, so I'm kind of glad. Stay warm!

Dianne K. Salerni said...

It is bitter cold here in southeast Pennsylvania, but so far we have missed most of the snow. (Although there has been plenty of it in other parts of the state.) This storm may miss us too. We are right on the outer band of the projections.

As long as I have power and my laptop, I'm ready to ride it out if it comes!

Medeia Sharif said...

I was complaining because we went into the 40's at night this weekend. Hope you don't lose power.

Beth said...

It's cold here in Canada, too! Fortunately we haven't lost our power, and I hope that lasts for the winter. Stay warm!

Crystal Collier said...

Did you survive the snow? It's definitely been a bountiful year in that regard. Should I tell you what we were doing on Monday? Disney's Animal Kingdom with mid seventies and sunshine. And this is why we moved to Florida.