Monday, May 5, 2014

MONDAY'S MUSINGS: AMAZING PEOPLE





Did you have a restful weekend?

I imagine many of you are just about blogged out after April’s A-Z. It takes a lot out of you, doesn't it? I've also found it to be fun and many of the topics fascinating. Don’t you love seeing the creativity our blogging community? It reminds you how disparate our community is in interests. Even though I didn't comment much due to my shoulder and typing difficulties, I did read some great posts.

I want to express my heartfelt appreciation to Kat Sheridan for expert handling the blog in April during my absence. If not for her, my blog would have been on hiatus for the month. I had actually cancelled several guests due to the upcoming surgery and recuperation time. She offered to host Over Coffee for me—that blew me away for a number of reasons. For one, I know she’s in the middle of researching and writing her latest book and I know the work involved with the blog posting 3 times a week and herding cats, erm, guests. And it was April A-Z challenge and no way would I ask someone to take that on, friend or no.

Kat has been an occasional contributor and host Over Coffee for a couple of years. I've been around and participating in the A-Z for the last three or four years and am familiar with it. Kat, on the other hand, wasn't. I mentioned that she could handle the blog however she wanted during my absence. Kat has a wide range of interests, is well read, and has a wicked sense of humor. I love that about her—never dull and boring. You can imagine my surprise when she wanted to do A-Z, in our quasi way of three times a week. I sent her all the information on A-Z and the links. She was a real trooper and dove right into A-Z. I was impressed with the interesting subjects chosen and participating guests willing to contribute.

None of this would have been possible without some amazing people. I want to thank my writing group, The Writing Wombats for their support and help as well as Central Ohio Fiction Writers members who helped and their historical romance group that stepped up as guests and articles. My thanks to Mark Koopmans for the offer to help with articles if needed. I also want to thank all of you for the support you gave Kat in my absence.

I’m 5 weeks post op. The shoulder is healing at what feels like a snail’s pace. I still tire easily. My range of motion and manipulation is still limited. I can type with two hands, but only in short duration. So even taking up the reins of Over Coffee again, I’m still wobbly. And now, new pain from intensive physical therapy—I call it the Midwest chapter of the Spanish Inquisition, J Hate those pretzel maneuvers. Commenting will still be tough for me. Just be patient with me. I will get around to y’all as I can. It's not a lack of interest or caring just pesky limitations. J

Any favorite posts in A-Z you like to share with me? Did you have a favorite post from Kat’s hosting the Over Coffee? Did you do anything fun this weekend you’d like to share?    

17 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sia .. you were on my list to visit and see how you are - so pleased despite the Spanish Inquisition that you are slowly improving ... in a few months life will be much easier.

The blogging community is great isn't it with the support and all ... Kat did you proud .. and I now need to seek out her postings in the A-Z ...

I'm still catching up but going to the beach for a good walk and some fresh air - spring/summer is lovely ... good luck with that healing ... I found some lovely new English bloggers ... however I also connected with some South African ones too ... amazing mix of friends ..

Cheers and here's to a healthy heal - Hilary

Natalie Aguirre said...

So glad Kat was able to take over your blog for April to help.

Glad you're on the mend. Don't rush things by blogging too much. Your health is most important.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

There really are some amazing people in the blog world aren't there? We all become like a big loving family! I wish you speedy healing my friend :)

Karen Walker said...

Welcome back, Sia. I know about slow recuperation and painful physical therapy, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Promise!

Kat Sheridan said...

Awww, now I'm all blushing and flushed and all! And you posted TULIPS!! Sia knows those are my most favorite flower in the world. It was a joy to be able to help out in some way, as well as a real eye-opener as to how much serious hard work it is to blog on a regular basis. I'm blessed to have friends who were willing to help out when I sent out the bat-signal (in my case, it's more like a tiara signal. LOL!)

April was challenging in many ways. What Sia didn't mention is that my father passed away in the middle of April, in the middle of the challenge, the day before my birthday. May will be spent not only reacquainting myself with my work-in-progress, but also spring cleaning before the onslaught of friends and family from around the country as we gather for a memorial/celebration of Dad's life. Come June, I plan to completely disappear into my writing cave and recuperate and ponder and, with any luck, finish another novel.

I do want to thank all of you who stopped by and were SO supportive and entertaining and generous with your comments, and I'm so glad I hopped around and found so many fun new blogs! THANK YOU Sia, for the opportunity!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Kat did an amazing job! Glad to hear you are healing. Thanks for stopping by when you felt up to it.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Hilary Thank you for the healing wishes.
A walk on the beach sounds quite lovely. I'd love to join you. New bloggers? That's always nice and I love connecting with international bloggers.

Natalie I was very glad to have Kat's help. I'm struggling with giving myself time to heal. Sometimes the slow pace is frustrating--but not as frustrating as re-injuring myself being stupid. :-) Hugs to you Natalie!

Keith A large supporting group for sure. Thanks for the well wishes!

Karen Thank you. You're right it is slow andpainful but with a purpose.

Michael Di Gesu said...

HI, Sia,

Take it slow... AND DON'T worry. We all understand.

When I was hit by a cyclist last summer and my wrist was broken, I couldn't type for weeks.... One handed typing was a nightmare!

But eventually... eight weeks later, I was able to type two handed again but it took a bit of time to rerun to my racing pace...

Don't give up and make sure you do the therapy. It's a crucial part of healing!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Kat Yes, I was thinking of you when I chose the tulips! Hope your tulips are blooming at home.

I wish I could send you a cheery maid to do all your spring cleaning before family descends.

I do appreciate everyone that helped during the challenged--that tiara has a strong signal, lol!

June sounds like the perfect hibernation month--you deserve it. Plus, I'm looking forward to the fruits of your labor--new writing to read.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Alex Kat did do an amazing job. I enjoyed your A-Z blog when I stopped by even tho I didn't comment every time.

Michael I'm not skipping any of the therapy because I know it's vital to full recovery. I hear you on the two handed typing--I'm sure my speed will come back. In time. I'm trying to look at the progress rather than what I can't do at this time.

Off to the doctor for my check-up.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I hope your recovery continues. Just do what the doctors say to do. It's wonderful Kat was able to help you out.

Margo Kelly said...

Oh. I hope your shoulder continues to heal well. :)

Cate Masters said...

Glad to hear you're on the mend! I'm amazed by the Challenge bloggers too. Kudos to all who participated.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Diane I'm now entering phase II of physical therapy. Yay. I have a very good surgeon and I'm trying my best to do as he directs.

Margo so far so good. I just want it normal again. :-)

Cate Yes there are some phenomenal bloggers out there and A-Z is not for the faint of heart. :-) Thank you. I'm thrilled to be mending with a good prognosis!

Jo said...

Can you not dictate your blogs to you PC? MS Word has that facility. Might help then you can just correct or copy and paste to your blogging account.

Kat did a fab job in your absence.

By the way, I called the therapists who looked after me in hospital when I had my hip done, the Pain Team. Luckily they thought it was funny.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

The blogging community is amazing in so many ways, from the wealth of kindness to the creativity.

Glad to hear you're healing, sorry to hear you had to have the surgery at all. Knowing how hard it is, I am truly appreciative of you taking the time to stop by my blog.

Thanks. Hope you're 100% fast!


~Sia McKye~ said...

Jo I don't have that capability. I need to update. I've used Dragon in the past and when I worked as a counselor, I did dictate all reports and correspondence. Had a great secretary, too. :-) I just do everything in small increments right now. I hear you on the Pain Team, lol! True.

Elizabeth it was my pleasure to visit you. I'm working hard towards that 100% :-)