Friday, May 23, 2014

AN IMAGINATION FIRED BY MYTHICAL WORLDS




Early morning coffee

When I was a kid I loved stories set around myths. I don’t know how many books I've read in my lifetime on various pantheons of gods and goddesses. I loved the worlds set around them. Magic and lore. 

I've always loved Boris Vallejo's work.
My imagination was always fired by stories of mythical animals and things like the mythical world of fairies and elves of the Celtic lore. I collected pictures or checked books out of the library and drew or painted some of the pictures or pictures based on what I read from my imagination from these stories.

Much of my artwork, through my teen years, involved women warriors with various magical creatures, some not from this world but from portals opening into alternate worlds. I made up a lot of stories about such worlds. To me finding and taming a magical creature always held a special appeal. Hagrit (from Harry Potter) and I are kindred spirits. Probably because I had a close affinity to animals to begin with and just imagine one with magic or telepathy (which all my imagined creatures had). Lol!

Dragons have always held special place in my heart. I love them. I have a dragon mascot sitting on my computer in my office. I have posters too. I’m afraid I was highly incensed with the perception of dragons being something that brave knights killed. 

Uh, no. 

To me dragons were majestic and honorable. It wasn't until I was well into adulthood that a friend, who was involved with astrology and in the process of learning all about the Chinese end of things, told me I was a dragon. 

Hmm, okay, makes sense.

I was visiting my brother over the weekend and I talk about stories I think of or ideas—very normal for me because I always told the *little kids* stories as we grew up. They were my captive audience. They cheered ohh and aahhed and begged for more.


My brother reminded me of a series of stories I made up and told to them about shifters like wolves and cougars, cats with magical powers, and my mighty dragon warriors. You know, I’d forgotten much of it until he reminded me of one his favorite stories. My other two brothers were there and reminded me of my stories of Merlin, King Arthur and the round table and the very unique knights.

Women warriors also figured prominently in these tales. It was fun listening to them recount various stories I told.

My son was all round eyed. He told them of the stories I’d tell him when he was three onward about Lobo the wolf. Lobo was the protector of Jake in all the stories and adventures. Of course, my son found all sorts of trouble and hairy situations to get into when he was little and I wished I had a Lobo to watch over him. Lobo was loosely based on my own half Husky/wolf, Micah. But unlike Micah, Lobo was telepathic. Jake shared with them a "really cool" story idea I had been talking about to him the past few months and this time he added elements to the story. Will I write it? I’m in the process of another one right now, but I do have this one and the world outlined, so yes, I probably will soon.


  • Don't you love imagination? So what fires your imagination?

 
Luis Royo is another favorite of mine and of course it's a woman warrior.

17 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I love movies/tv shows that are mythical or quasi-mythical. I loved the Lord of the Rings trilogy and I LOVE Game of Thrones!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Me, too, Keith! Takes me out of this world and into worlds of derring do and magic. :-)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Fantasy was always a big draw for me. Yes, I did like the women warriors, but I enjoyed all aspects of it.
You should write that Lobo story.

~Sia McKye~ said...

I started telling Jake those stories in 1997.
I had someone tell me, oh you must have read the story.
Huh?
Yah, about Lobo and Jake?

There isn't a story. This is just something I made up for bedtime.

Come to find out, there is a story written with a character call Lobo and Jake. Who knew someone was hearing my nightly stories?


Empty Nest Insider said...

How wonderful that you would tell your brothers stories growing up, and that you continued the tradition with your son! I hope you write that Lobo story!

Julie

cleemckenzie said...

Entering the world of fantasy has always been a great escape for me, and for so many. I love those dragons and I'm sure there's a unicorn just around the corner.

Boris Vallejo is an amazing artist.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sia .. we I think were always told proper stories .. so my imagination is perhaps only really awakening now .. though I joined with my mother as we stretched out truth to imagination when she was ill and laughed ourselves silly sometimes with the ideas we created ...therapeutically good for us!

I hope you can jot down all the outlines and create some short stories ... which could then be written more fully in due time ..

Glad to see you are getting better as you're around a bit more .. have a peaceful Memorial Weekend .. with thoughts - Hilary

~Sia McKye~ said...

It was a fun way to keep all entertained as kids and with my son? We went through a ton of books. I thought the stories would entertain but also teach some lessons. Lobo was always pulling Jake out trouble due to the choices he made.

Lee--love to have stories with good worlds to escape into. Dragons are awesome.

Hilary, laughter is always good for you and sharing that laughter is even better.

Yes, I'm doing better but still a slow climb up the hill. :-)

Mark Koopmans said...

Hey,

I'm not sure... but looking out into your garden, I think I saw a pair of flipflopagus... (in the foreground of the picture) which I know is strange, because such a sighting west of California and Hawaii is quite rare.

Jolly good!

Stephanie Faris said...

I do love stories that take us to a completely different place--especially if that place is magical. I'm just not so good at writing that type of story myself!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Mark--

You can take the girl out of California and drop her in the mid-west, but you can't take the California outta the girl. Just sayin' :-)

~Sia McKye~ said...

Stephanie--
I hear you on that. I've practiced but I'm not really one who can write fantasy, true fantasy.
I also love a good historical. I love history, too, but writing an historical...well not so good. :-) I've toyed with the idea of historical paranormal. Not sure about that yet either. :-)

We write to our strengths and the rest we read with enjoyment.

shelly said...

Anything can get my imagination sparked.

Medeia Sharif said...

Anything can get my imagination going these days, but fairy tales did it for me when I was young.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I think telling stories that are able to keep kids enthralled is an amazing talent. Kids are more brutal in their opinions than the snarkiest agent!

I don't know what sparks my imagination, but I know obsessive worry stunts it. :)

LD Masterson said...

I'm always had a soft spot for dragons which I guess I passed on to my son who named his first born Drake.

~Sia McKye~ said...

SHELLY--works for me too. :-)

MEDIA--fairy tales are great but I loved reading some of the original materials or what they were based on. The unexpected and the unusual.

ELIZABETH--That's true. I've found if you keep it fun and add some adventure or suspense they love it or at least my son and grandnieces do. Nieces like some pretty stuff in their stories and if it has princesses all the better. Jake especially liked finding his *character* in dangerous situations that Lobo rescued him from. The situations were a bit exaggerated but the milder form that kid got into brought me an L'Oreal into a close friendship, lol!

As for worries...yah it tends to put one in the position of a deer in the headlights. Heavy responsibilities also tend to stop me in my tracks. :-)I have to just relax and let go of everything and just let the story flow.

LD--Dragons are special, aren't they? Love the name Drake!