Friday, April 18, 2014

P is for Paranormal and a PRIZE!


***UPDATE: PRIZE ANNOUNCEMENT!***

 The winner of the original version of The Trouble with Moonlight is CHRYS FEY!!!

Congratulations, Chrys! Please contact Donna via her website at www.DonnaMacMeans.com

I hope you enjoy the book (I did!)

 
Today's letter in the monthlong A-Z Challenge is "P". Our guest is Donna MacMeans, talking about Paranomal romance. And one lucky commenter will win a prize! YAY!!


I love paranormal stories. As a child, my favorite fiction book was the Dragons of Blueland - does anyone remember that book?  Unlike the dragons in Game of Thrones (aren’t they cool?), the friendly Blueland dragons had yellow stripes and polkadots. Nothing threatening about that. My older brother read his way through Edgar Rice Burrough’s Barsoom series and as soon as he laid down a book, I’d pick it up. I devoured the stories of an earth man flying across the Martian landscape with a green woman/princess in his airship. I always thought the Nancy Drew books would be improved with a witch or a dragon, or maybe a mystery full of magic. So I come by my love of paranormal naturally.

My very first publishing credit was a paranormal story in the Dream Quest anthology. Smoke and Mirrors dealt with magic and mystery. If my historical story, The Education of Mrs. Brimley, hadn’t changed the direction of my publishing career, I’d be writing paranormals still.


Which is why I’m so thrilled to be able to announce that one of my paranormal stories will be released on Amazon next week. Bound By Moonlight is actually a reissue of an earlier release that won the critic’s choice award in Historical Love and Laughter from the reviewers at Romantic Times. Here’s the blurb:

A woman of extraordinary talents...

Lusinda Havershaw turns invisible in moonlight. Just her - not her clothes. She can’t help it, it just happens. A descendent of a rare race, her ancestors have been burned as witches, persecuted and tormented as the devil’s children. She must be careful to avoid detection. However as her family has no other means of support, she must reluctantly shed her petticoats and corset during a full moon to prowl the gas lit streets of London, stark naked, as a thief.

A man with a dangerous mission...

The only tools British spy and master safecracker James Locke needs are his hands and his brains. But when a hand tremor threatens his mission to secure a list of agents for the Crown, the accidental discovery of a lady thief with an extraordinary secret may just be his salvation. However, as James and Lusinda discover, there’s more than one kind of trouble to be found in the moonlight. The kind that begins with blackmail and ends with a kiss...

Be warned, this is a sexy book in a way that only a story with a naked invisible heroine can be. The hero discovers that just knowing the woman before him is stark naked is more intoxicating than if he could actually see her. I hope you give it a try and if you do, let me know what you think. The lovely thing about releasing this book on Amazon is that I’m free to write a sequel. You’ll have to stay tuned for details.

So tell me, what’s your favorite paranormal romance? I’ll choose someone leaving a comment to receive a copy of THE TROUBLE WITH MOONLIGHT, the original version of my Bound By Moonlight story.


 
Please check back on Sunday, April 20th, to see if you're the lucky winner of one of Donna's wonderful romances!



For the first four months of the year, Donna is a mild-mannered certified public accountant with a small tax practice. But come April 16th, she rips off the green eyeshade and transform into an impassioned writer of sexy historical romance novels, paranormals and romantic suspense. 
 
 
 
The "P" Book List:
 
 
 
Louise Penny: Canadian-set police procedural series featuring Chief Inspector Gamache
 
Steven Pressfield: The War of Art. Every writer or artist should have this guide to defeating resistance and creating a plan for success.
 
J.F. Penn: Crime thrillers with a supernatural edge.
 
 

39 comments:

Kat Sheridan said...

Good morning, Donna! We're so glad to have you here! And how great that your paranormal is being reissued! I'd be hard-pressed to name a favorite (although, of course, I do like yours!) I think I'd have to go with Jayne Castle, even though they fall more into a "futuristic" rather than true paranormal category.

Mason Canyon said...

I'll be thinking of blue dragons with yellow stripes all day. :) Paranormal romance is always fun to read. I don't know that I have a favorite. Love the cover of your book, Donna. Wishing you much success.

Kat, morning.

Donna MacMeans said...

Hi Kat -

Thanks so much for having me today. I LOVE Jayne Castle! (but then I love Jayne Anne Krantz as well :-) It's funny. I'm not fond of vampires and shape-shifters here on Earth, but I'd fully by into the concept if set on another planet. Anything goes when interstellar. LOL

Donna MacMeans said...

Morning Mason!

Thanks for the cover love. That's part of the fun part of regaining one's rights - you have a say in the cover. I wasn't overfond of Berkley's rendition, but now i have a say. Of course it doesn't match Kat's gorgeous cover for Echoes In Stone. I hope you give Bound by Moonlight a try.

Donna MacMeans said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
L. Diane Wolfe said...

Favorite paranormal romance? The Dracula film with Gary Oldman comes to mind, but I can't think of any books.

Donna MacMeans said...

Ah L. Diane - I can see that you're not a paranormal fan. Give it a try - the very things that we love in a contemporary romance are there in a paranormal as well. My story was originally marketed as an historical romance - and it is very much that. It just has this touch of paranormal that makes it a lot of fun.

Donna MacMeans said...

Ah L. Diane - I can see that you're not a paranormal fan. Give it a try - the very things that we love in a contemporary romance are there in a paranormal as well. My story was originally marketed as an historical romance - and it is very much that. It just has this touch of paranormal that makes it a lot of fun.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It's not a genre I read often, but Christine Rains' Fearless was really good.

Chrys Fey said...

Paranormal/supernatural stories are at my heart. I can't get enough of them. They are the genres I love to read and write the most. :)

The cover for Bound By Moonlight is beautiful!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Donna welcome back to Over Coffee. You always have such great posts! I don't remember the striped Dragons but I DO remember Edgar Rice Burrough's series--I read about everything he wrote. :-) There was another one I loved as a kid and for the life of me, I can't remember the title or author, but it was about a teen who built a space ship and traveled to Mars and met up with a cool martian.

I love paranormal!

I don't mind vampires--depends upon how it's written. Feenhan is one of my favorite authors for several of her series. Love shifter stores like Jen Ashley, Terry Spear, love Lea Harrison's books. Sara Humphries writes a good series with Amoveo. But I really enjoy stories with a touch of the unusual. LOVE Jayne Ann Krentz books set Harmony or her Jones stories.

I like the sound of this new story of yours. I like the blend of historical and para. I definitely have in the TBR.

Kat Sheridan said...

L. Diane, I didn't think I was a pranormal fan until I read one, then I was hooked. They come in so many flavors, from shape-shifters to vampires, from fairies to ghosts, to wonderful books like Donna's, which has SUCh an unusual premise!

Kat Sheridan said...

Alex, I'd never heard of Christine Rains, but now she's on my wish list! Ah, the power of word of mouth!

Kat Sheridan said...

Waving hi to Mason!

And Donna, thank you for the cover love as well! I think we both did pretty well!

cleemckenzie said...

I wanted to hug that dragon, too. And the Bound By Moonlight cover is lovely. Congratulations.

Donna MacMeans said...

Alex - I think I have FEARLESS in my TBR pile. So many books...so little time. :-)

As in all genres, there's good ones and others that might not be your cup of tea. I hope you give some paranormal a try. You never know when you'll hit on one that rocks your world.

Donna MacMeans said...

Hi Chrys -
Thanks for the cover love! Hope you give the book a try.

What is it, do you think, that makes paranormals so much fun to read and write? The lack of limitations? The world-building? I do know that I can write a paranormal faster than an historical. On that basis alone I should write more :-)

~Sia McKye~ said...

Y'know, when you think about it, sci-fi has a lot of paranormal elements. One of the things that drew me to Sci-fi to begin with--other than wanting to travel in space. I love the unusual worlds and characters with powers and abilities beyond what humans had.

Donna MacMeans said...

Hi Sia!

Isn't it funny how the books that find us as kids have such an impact as we grow? I remember reading those little biographies of famous people - the books were blue and each had a black silhouettte of the character on the cove - as well as paranormals. I wonder if the biographies played a role in writing historicals. More likely, being old filled that niche :-)

Donna MacMeans said...

Hi Cleemckenzie!

He's a cutie, isn't he? I actually drew a picture of all the dragons for my daughters room when she was a baby. Nothing threatening about those dragons!

Thanks for the cover love. Hope you give the book a try!

Donna MacMeans said...

Sia -

I think of Sci-Fi as a special branch of paranormal. I bet you were a Star Trek fan! I know I was. Many of the worlds the good ship Enterprise traveled to had paranormal elements. Heck Spock is paranormal. And not a vampire in the bunch. :-)

Jo said...

How is Sia doing?

I cannot think of the title, but the book where the man 'travels' and marries a woman who doesn't, their daughter does however. So although he dies, he meets her in the future.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Donna Absolutely a Trek fan! Spock was my favorite. :-)

Jo I'm improving but I over did a bit this week. Mostly in not getting enough rest taking care of issues and bumped my shoulder so I'm moaning and groaning a bit. Just incredibly tired. But, thanks for asking. :-)

Donna MacMeans said...

Jo - Wasn't that made into a movie? I want to say THE ASTRONAUT'S WIFE but I'm not sure that's correct - but I remember a movie with a similar premise.

Kat Sheridan said...

Jo, you might be thinking of The Time Traveler's Wife.

Donna MacMeans said...

THAT"S IT! LOL. I knew there was a "wife" in there somewhere. Good call Kat. At least, that's the movie I was thinking of...it might not be the book Jo was referencing.

J.L. Campbell said...

Congrats on your upcoming release.

J.L. Campbell said...

Oops, just realized that Donna is the one with the release.

catslady said...

What a lovely cover! Anything by Katherine Kennedy :)

catslady said...

oops that's Kathryne.

saraleee said...

Wow! I love the cover of your book! That is awesome. Best of luck and major congrats!

saraleee said...

Oh! A question!
My favorite paranormal author is Barbara Hambly. She wrote "Those Who Hunt The Night" which is the first of a vampire series.

She also wrote "The Silent Tower" and "The Silicon Mage" which were about a computer programmer kidnapped into a pre-industrial world with magic.

She's also written other paranormals and sci-fis (including Star Trek and Star Wars). Love 'em all.

M.C.V. Egan said...

Fun post but I must say what I loved (and I don't even read erotica..) was the BIO you are one fun lady Q! #AtoZchallenge ☮Peace ☮ ღ ONE ℒℴνℯ ღ ☼ Light ☼ visiting from http://4covert2overt.blogspot.com/
All the best,
Catalina

fsbuchler said...

The Outlander Series! Hi Donna!

Donna MacMeans said...

Hi J. L. !

Thanks for the thanks!

Donna MacMeans said...

Hi Catslady!

I find you everywhere :-) Hugs to you!

Donna MacMeans said...

Hi Saralee!

Thanks for the cover love!

I'd not heard of Barbara Hambly. While I'm not thrilled with Vampires, the other plots sound interesting. I'm going to have to check them out!

Donna MacMeans said...

Hi Catalina !!

I don't read erotica either. LOL on the bio. It does come as a shock to some people that a CPA also writes fiction (grin). I feel in love with fiction long before life intervened with Accounting. Funny the twists life take sometimes.

Donna MacMeans said...

Fabuchler -

Happy Easter!

You know Outlander started it all! You are waiting for the tv series to start this summer? I can't wait. Outlander is the only book I've read twice and I've even framed the hardback cover for my office. (Okay - that's a bit extreme - but it was something I saw once on Oprah. Frame the covers of books that are important to you. Outlander, it was.)