Friday, November 22, 2013

READING BY THE FIRE




The low clouds hang like heavy rolls of sooty cotton on the horizon and above the hills wisps of fog tangle in the naked limbs. I hear the wind whistling through the trees. Leaves twirl and crunch as they brush against each other and dance across the yard.  There is a certain beauty in the stark browns and faded gold of the remaining oak leaves stubbornly clinging to the our trees despite the wind. The crows are calling out a warning of worsening weather on it's way and the cardinals are huddled together on the swaying feeders. The autumn rains are here this week and the temperatures are steadily dropping and soon we'll have snow and sleet. This is the sort of weather that makes me want to snuggle up by a warm fire with a good book.

I'm working my way through my TBR list. Some 4 star books I've enjoyed recently.

A new author for me is Mike Wells. He writes a fast paced suspense/thrillers that keeps you turning the pages. He's very visual in his writing and it reflects his screenplay skills. I've always enjoyed stories by Sidney Sheldon and Steven Cannell. Mike Wells reminds me of their way of telling a story. I'll be reading more of his books. A word of caution, he is giving away book one as an incentive to checking out his series. Buy the Lust, Money, & Murder edition that has book 1-3 in one book. The free book one leaves you hanging and that ticked me off--even though I understood promotional methods he used. I'll be the first to tell you I don't like cliffhangers in a book. I want resolution in one story with questions to lead you to the next. The full edition moves smoothly from one section to the next.

AMAZON
LUST, MONEY, & MURDER

This book begins with a young and naive Elaine Brogan as she initially pursues her dream of a career as a photomodel. 


After becoming entangled with a sleazy modeling agency, she decides to become a Secret Service agent, struggling through the arduous training academy. 


After her first disastrous assignment, she is transferred to Bulgaria. There, she meets Nick LaGrange, the love of her life.








Another new to me author, is paranormal romance author, Thea Harrison. I really enjoyed the fresh take on the supernatural world. Love the kick butt take names sentinels and the adventure in the other world just beyond the borders of our modern world. It was a fun story as was the second book in the series. I liked the ancient creatures--like dragons and thunderbirds--interacting with the modern world. It's fast paced but the author does take the time to fill you in on the world and gives the reader insight into the creatures she features by inner dialog. That especially works for seeing how these ancient ones developed human qualities as well as the ability to shapeshift into human form. 



AMAZON
DRAGON BOUND

Half-human and half-wyr, Pia Giovanni spent her life keeping a low profile among the wyrkind and avoiding the continuing conflict between them and their dark Fae enemies. 


But after being blackmailed into stealing a coin from the hoard of a dragon, Pia finds herself targeted by one of the most powerful-and passionate-of the Elder races.









My hot toddy is calling me as are the new characters in the current book I'm reading, Priceless: A Rylee Adamson Novel. I'll tell you more about that another time.


  • So, what books have you read recently that you could recommend?

16 comments:

Crystal Collier said...

Mmm... I got sucked into the way you painted Fall. Beautiful. This stinks, but I really haven't been reading much for fun this month. Too many preparations for my book launch--which is going swimmingly. I do have about ten books that have piled up since the end of October though, and I really just need to take a whole week off and read. (Like that's going to happen.) One of the last books I read that I really TRULY enjoyed was Book 1 and 2 of the Michael Vey series. I'm currently in the middle of about 6 books, 3 of them fiction, and I can't decide which one I love more.

Jo said...

Not much good at this, but I really recommend the In Her Name series by Michael R. Hicks. He has written three trilogies in the same world and the first book of each trilogy is free. Unfortunately Book #9 is not yet published. I simply devoured these. Space Operas par excellence.

Yolanda Renee said...

Crystal's right you sucked me right in with your great descriptive work! I expected a whole other post - and am a bit disappointed! You should have continued with that and shared it in the W...E...P challenge this weekend. I love your writing - share more please!
Thanks for the heads up on the new reads, I so need to get to my list too! I owe so many a review!

~Sia McKye~ said...

CRYSTAL--thank you. I'll have to check out Michael Vey. I can understand the prep for a book launch taking up your reading time.

JO--I've seen Michael Hicks books and keep meaning to read them. Thanks for the reminder. I love a good space opera.

YOLANDA--The what challenge? I appreciate the compliment. I'm not sure what you were wanting--you'll have define that a bit. I owe several reviews and I'm so not motivated to do reviews. These were just personal thoughts on the books and not real reviews. Real reviews are a lot of thought and work.
Now that the writing bug is healthy I just want to write my stories, dammit! lol!

Kat Sheridan said...

I do love your description of autumn! I really miss that sense of hunkering down for winter, or gathering in close. The only way I would get that would be to turn the air conditioning on high and pretend it's not 80 degrees outside! November is never reading month for me; it's a writing month. But in between I've been sneaking in chapters from Janie Mason's new historical romance, Risking Love, set in southern Ohio just before the Civil War, with a woman hiding a runaway slave and the sheriff she's hiding him from. I'm also sneaking in chapters of the thriller Exodus by JF Penn, which is a race to find the Ark of the Convenant before a massive Holy War is launched.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Kat sounds like you need a wall mural board in your office. Seriously. You don't want to have it permanently attached because well, who wants fall or winter scenes year round? But they aren't hard to create and you can make them quite large. I've made one or two in the past and then gave them a window frame so it feels like I'm looking out the window...

Oooo, I forgot Janie had a new book out, darn it. I need to get her on the blog.

Melanie Schulz said...

Right now I'm reading The Ender's Game. I know, I'm behind the times, but I wanted to read the book before I saw the movie. And so far I love it.

Kat Sheridan said...

I'd love to see Janie on the blog! Her book is delightful, and it's the first in a series.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

The scene you described makes me really want to get a fire going tonight and read a good book! Now I just have to find a fireplace :)

Dani Harper said...

I'm working my way through Thea's Elder Races books. On Oracle's Moon right now. Also finishing up Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost.

Got our first real cold snap this week -- we've been pretty spoiled up until now. The water in the chicken house is freezing, so we've had to up the heat-light wattage! The "girls" seem unconcerned by the cold, however. They're out and about, going about their "free-range" business.

Me, I'm staying indoors to write!

Pk Hrezo said...

Enjoy that hot toddy!! I just finished The Indie Survival Guide and really got a lot out of it.

Mason Canyon said...

Sia, your description of autumn makes me want to snuggle up in a comfortable chair next to a fireplace with a cup of hot chocolate and a good thriller. With Christmas only a month away, I'm into Christmas stories this week having just finished listening to A Nantucket Christmas by Nancy Thayer.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Writer Pat Newcombe said...

ah yes! Autumn such a great time of year. And your descriptive writing is right up my street ( as well as countless leaves!! Ha ha)
I shall follow you with pleasure, Kat.

~Sia McKye~ said...

MELANIE--Enders Game is a good one Melanie. Most of the time I'm behind the pack in reading some books. I tend to stick to authors I know and enjoy and I go hunting for those I've not read but the stories look good. Some I luck out on and others are meh. But I always enjoy finding new books and authors to read.

KEITH--I love looking at flames. It makes one feel warm and cozy. Right now I'd settle for warm, lol! It's been bitterly cold the past couple of days and we're due several days more of it.

~Sia McKye~ said...

DANI--I've enjoyed the first and while I liked Trixie and Tiago, something just irked me in the second. Maybe Trixie's waffling. Don't get me wrong, the story is good just reading it back to back with the first was too much female angst. I'm looking forward to the Harpy, Aryal's story and I liked the hint of what will be with Rune and Carlings story.

I haven't read Jeaniene Frost. We seem to have some similar tastes in reading so I'll have to check out her stories.

~Sia McKye~ said...

PK--The Indie Survival Guide, I've heard of it. It does sound like it has some good advice.

MASON--There are some good Christmas stories out there and yum, I do like a good cuppa hot chocolate. Hubs bought me some marshmallow fluff to spoon on mine. :-)

Pat, thank you for the compliment and the follow. I shall reciprocate. :-)