Monday, November 11, 2013

MONDAYS MUSING—SUNSHINE AND WRITING




The last few days have been beautiful and warm. Lots of golden sunshine this weekend.  NaNo or no, the idea of sitting in my office at the computer has been an anathema to me. I spend over thirty hours a week sitting at that blasted computer and that’s just for work. I probably spend another twenty dealing with blogging—probably more. So, while I have been writing I've chosen to savor the sunshine  this weekend and spent quite a bit of time outside (especially with our first snow in a matter of days, sighand took the time to relax and rest. It’s been grand.

I have been having fun with my NaNo story. It’s been in my head for sometime. I've researched and gotten the feel of the world. It wasn't my intention to write it as a NaNo entry and given my current schedule, I wasn't even planning on taking part this year. However, many in my writing group (I've mentioned them before and we've been together for over six years), do the NaNo every year. Let me say, moaning about my schedule cuts no ice with them, lol! So, with a strong boot in the ass encouragement from them; I’m in.

Realistically, I doubt I will get 50k done in November but I will get a substantial amount done which is what I need to do. It will also get me back into taking the time to write fiction daily and buying out the time I have—usually early morning—to add to the story. It does help me stay on track knowing others are doing the same. It gives incentive to keep going even when I get stuck, like I am right now. I put that section aside and am working on another scene while my mind mulls over the other section. Of course at the rate I’m going I might hit 50k by Christmas. J


Are you doing NaNo this year? How’s it going?

Guests this week:

Wednesday:  Historical romance author, Amanda Forester. Midsummer Bride Love is one experiment this scientist hasn't tested
Friday: Anne Cleeland, Daughter of the God-King In the dark, mysterious tombs of Cairo, a thrilling puzzle awaits to be discovered


17 comments:

Cheryl Carvajal said...

I am not doing Nano this year, but I wish I were! I won two years ago, but then my hard drive died, and I lost the whole manuscript.

I will write it again soon, though, and it will be better than the last time!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Glad you got some time to enjoy the good weather and relax. We need to do that sometimes.

I'm not doing NaNo. It doesn't work with my schedule.

Karen Walker said...

Glad you are having fun, Sia. I've never done NaNo and probably never will. I don't work well under pressure, but good luck with your story, however many words you end up with at the end of the month.

Crystal Collier said...

LOL! You fell to peer pressure. ;P I love your picture, and more especially the thought behind it. You do have to pause and enjoy the sunshine, right? I think we writers wear out our computer chairs way faster than the rest of the world.

Kat Sheridan said...

Hey, I never wear boots. Maybe a flip-flop to the keister? LOL! So long as you are setting your stories and imagination free, it's all good.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Cheryl--oh that would have been horrible! Gads Yorick! I sure hope you had notes or something.

Natalie--yah, we're getting snow Wednesday. Nasty 4 letter word and I'm so not ready for snow. NaNo really doesn't work well with my schedule either but I'm doing it Sia style. :-)

Karen--I work well under pressure but the past few years my body doesn't like it anymore. I tend to pick and choose those tasks to apply the pressure.

Crystal--Yep, I did. :-). But it's all good and I'm in good company. :-)

Kat--I swear it felt like a boot. Maybe steel toed flip-flops?

Jennifer Bielman said...

I am not doing Nano this year but keep up the good work.

Johanna Garth said...

I always WANT to do Nano, but find it just doesn't work because I'm always mid-new-WIP. I suppose I could call it my Nano book, but then I feel like I'm somehow cheating.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Jennifer--I am. I'm going to need people, after November, saying, so hows that story going? lol!

Johanna--I know of those who do have something they're working on and use NaNo to put in another 50k beyond what they already have. Others use NaNo to start the next project. That's not cheating.:-)

Anne Gallagher said...

I didn't do NaNo this year. I tried it once and felt too much pressure to make the word count.

I wish I had gone outside this weekend. Now it's so cold and snow's coming and the leaves need to be raked and weeds wacked and ... oh, just too much pressure in November. I think I need a beach.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Right now, warm weather and sunshine and a beach sounds really good, Anne. :-) We lost 9/10ths of the oaks this morning. A veritable carpet several inches thick. I told Dan that I planned on cranking up the john deere and mowing the leaves. I have a mulcher and that will get rid of the carpet and leave tiny pieces. It feeds the grass. Dan said, well we can rake and burn...I looked at the yard...knock yourself out. lolol!

Nicki Elson said...

The fact that you're making the time to write when you otherwise wouldn't is great!

Your story about your cats and the red dot cracked me up. They are so smart & silly. Sorry about your troubles w/ comments at Mary's - they may have actually been turned off at that time, but I appreciate so much that you tried. :)

Dani Harper said...

Hi Sia - This is my third year doing NANOWRIMO. I haven't won yet, but I'm really hoping this is my year! It gives me an incentive to avoid distractions so I write every day --- but I have trouble keeping the word count up! I'm glad Nano is in November; it makes it much easier to stay indoors most days. If the sun comes out, though, I invariably find an excuse - er, I mean a CHORE - to take me outside for an hour or two. You just can't waste the golden moments!

Carol Kilgore said...

Good luck with NaNo! I enjoyed our warm sunshine yesterday. Good thing - it's cold and cloudy today.

Jo said...

Best of luck with it Sia. You never know, you might surprise yourself and get 50K after all. Isn't the idea to write and write and worry about the polishing etc. later?

~Sia McKye~ said...

NICKI--Cats are funny, aren't they? Mary's blog and I just don't play nice together since she changed it around. I'm getting a complex. :-)

And today and little kitten showed up, he's about 2 months old. My son was taking his pup out for her daily constitution this morning when he spotted something sitting on the top of one of our big corner fence posts. The it moved and squeaked. Little black kitten with a voice bigger than he is. Anyway, it followed him around the yard. He was afraid it would get to close to our stud Dane who doesn't like any animal in his yard. Jake was afraid it would get hurt so brought it up to the house.

Yay. Another cat.

I so need another cat...

~Sia McKye~ said...

DANI--I've not won yet either. I hear you on fewer distractions and the encouragement of cold weather for writing. Oh, when it's nice outside I have to go out for awhile and I always have plenty of chores for justification. ;-)

CAROL-- thanks. Weather is very cold today--that's one day after 62 degrees of sunshine. sigh...

JO--thanks for the encouragement. If I do win, cool, but it's not my goal. I just want to get the story down in print. :-)