Wednesday, May 22, 2013

WARNING! ALLEGED COMEDIAN IN RESIDENCE





My husband cracks me up.

For one thing, he loves westerns. He and the Western channel are good buds. I believe he’s watched about every western series made—all 145 or so. 

Repeatedly.



Me? I’m not a big fan of westerns—well aside from Bonanza, Big Valley, and The Virginian (when I was very young, about 9 or 10-ish I had a wicked crush on Little Joe). These were my dad’s favorites. I remember the theme songs to two others Dad watched regularly, The Rebel (Johnny Yuma) and Rawhide. I say the theme songs because we were usually in bed when they came on, but I can sing the both songs—Have Gun Will Travel too. The only Western I really liked was Wild, Wild West when I was a bit older. Anything else? Forget it.

My husband has a fabulous memory for dialog—especially for anything Lonesome Dove. That’s top on the list of westerns he loves.  I actually had to get downright threatening when he thought going to live in Montana (he calls it MUN-tana) would be a good thing.

Really? Have you seen the snow they get up there? Well, I have. No way, no how. Have a good time. Be sure to write, lol! 

One of his very good friends (and fellow Lonesome Dove aficionados) actually did move there which tickled Dan to no end to think of Terrence “Woodrow” in MUN-tana. Terry has a magnetized sign that goes on his truck that says, “Hat Creek Cattle Company”. You’ll never guess who got that for him.

IMDb
Any number of situations can have Dan quoting ole Gus or Woodrow and he doesn't particularly care where he is when he does. My son and I know, from long observation, when he’s setting up for a quote ‘fest, particularly in restaurants and we tend to hide behind our menus. Slow service or a “surly Bartender” will get you, “One of the things we didn't put up with back then is dawdling service and as you can see, we still don’t…put up with it.”  At a table with friends, he’s been known to raise his Gold Margarita on rocks, with salt, “Here’s to the sunny slopes of long ago.” I fully expect him to tell me on his deathbed, “My God, Woodrow. It has been quite a party, ain't it?”

My husband also loves corny jokes and sayings. He has pages of stuff he’s made up. Other things are from pop culture like movies, TV shows, or comedy skits. He love “voices” and is very good with mimicking what he hears—everything from Dirty Harry to one of his favorites, South Park’s Lock Ness Monster skit. Yep, he’s been known to launch into that one at any time but especially when he hears the price of something being $2 or $3.50, “and I said tree-fitty?” He can do the whole thing, gestures, inflections, voices and all. 

He loves the voices and does them very well. Bless his heart. Too well.

Which is why we have a sign hanging beside the back door that reads: 

Warning! Alleged Comedian in residence. Enter at your own risk. 

17 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sia .. I used to love cowboy films .. and Rawhide, Lone Ranger ... they amused me and took me off into the great unknown of America and its wild west.

Your hubby must be so entertaining to be with as long as you're in the mood - can see the two of you hiding behind the menu cards!

The actors must have loved acting out the chasing, close up scenes ..

At least you know how to keep Dan happy .. sit him down with a Western on ..

Brought back some early memories! Cheers Hilary

L. Diane Wolfe said...

My husband likes westerns a lot more than I do and he knows a lot of lines. We can both quote Tombstone though.

John Philipp said...

Sia, Sia, Sia, where's your heart for heritage? :)

You are so lucky to be living with a cowboy — and you can tell Dan that for me.

I predict there will be a new western series soon — fueled by Elmore Leonard short stories.

Thanks for the memories.

Jo said...

Thanks for the memories?? That's Bob Hope!!!

Never much of a one for Westerns although I did enjoy Lonesome Dove. Matt likes them though, I guess its very much a man thing. He's not into quotes though.

Like your sign. Daughter in law has one which reads "Grumpy Lives Here".

JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

Stephen Tremp said...

Westerns are from a day gone by. Sputnik ruined all that and now its fantasy and sci fi and such.

I do appreciate the Western movie that comes out now and then.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Dan is fun. See, the problem when you live with someone who has a schtick is you've heard them all hundreds of times. You quickly recognize the set up for material. My humor runs more towards dry and witty. Dan is all about corny, lol! Many times he has me shaking my head and saying, "I can't you just said that!" Yes, it usually gets a laugh from me.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Diane, I'm not saying I don't watch them--I do on occasion. Tombstone has some good ones. Loved the *latin* scene between Johnny Ringo and Doc. "Come on boys. We don't want any trouble in here. Not in any language."

Jo-I believe you're correct about it being a guy thing. Perhaps it's the whole men were men and honor. I do know that it's also a bit of nostalgia too. Simpler times.

~Sia McKye~ said...

John, my heritage? Wait, I know it's here somewhere. See, it's wearing a kilt and carries a claymore, lol!

I'll pass the message along. He'll probably say, Well, Baby sister... again.

Johanna Garth said...

Oh my goodness, I think I need a sign like that too. My husband and yours could entertain each other for hours!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I can recite lines from a lot of movies like it's nobody's business! Usually my wife plays along.

David Fitzgerald said...

The ability to quote lines in appropriate situations is a gift! Yay, Cowboy Dan!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Watching westerns (and playing cowboys and Indians) was very popular with me as a kid, too. My brother and I got a real kick out of saying, (with the proper accents, of course) "Hey, Cisco!" "Hey, Poncho!" (Remember that one?)

I think your hubby sounds like a hoot. Good thing we don't socialize with each other, though. I'd probably egg him on way too much.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Really, Johanna? Dare we take them to a good coffee shop? Restaurant? I made that sign. Dan has been a comedian since I've known him. When he worked American Forces Radio, they came in handy.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Alex, my sisters and I generally play off each other with quotes on movies we like and have seen multiple times. We especially do well with Princess Bride and few others, lol!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Speaking of my heritage and Celts, David! Hugs.

Yes, it is a gift. Even tho I tend to roll my eyes, Dan does have the timing and voice to do them. :-)

~Sia McKye~ said...

Susan, we played cowboy as kids too. Course we made up all sorts of scenarios to play each day. I never watched that one although I will admit to Roy Rodgers and The Lone Ranger. I loved Silver, the horse, and the ranger's side kick.

Oh gawd, Dan doesn't need egging on. Lolol! But I bet it would be fun to watch.

Even in the stories he writes--not westerns--he uses a lot of corny humor and refers to pop culture quotes. Couple of beta readers just dissed the corny. Story is kick ass with a very politically incorrect detective living in a very politically correct area. I think he needs another set of beta readers, lol!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Cowboy fan here too. Our family has quotes they use all the time. Lots from A Few Good Men, Quiggly Down Under, and The Princess Bride. I've heard that those who laugh live longer.