Friday, January 13, 2012

KAT SHERIDAN: Friday The13th My Lucky Day


In celebration, I have homemade Lemon Drizzle Coffee Cake! 


It is my great pleasure to welcome historical romance author, Kat Sheridan, to Over Coffee. Kat is a regular reader/commenter, sometimes book review contributor, and a personal friend whom I dearly love and respect. It’s wonderful to see one of her stories published.

Friday the 13th is my lucky day! Well, it never was before, but it is now because today marks my debut as an author, as a contributor to the anthology, Demon Lovers, from Ravenous Romance.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m one of the most superstitious people I know. I come from a family of mostly sensible, level-headed, practical people, but was influenced early by a grandmother who devoured astrology magazines and believed in all sorts of signs and portents.

I had no idea I was so superstitious about so many things until Hubs (my real-life hero) pointed it out to me. If I spill salt, I throw some over my shoulder. I knock on wood to counteract negative words. When I make a wish (and who among us doesn’t make wishes?) I always find something blue and add the words “touch blue, wish come true”.

I’ll refuse to take a knife, pair of scissors, or anything else sharp from your hand, but will make you lay it on the table (so our friendship isn’t “cut”). When Hubs (that patient man) gave me a lovely set of kitchen knives as a gift he was unsurprised when I immediately came back with bread and salt as a “gift” to him.

I don’t allow hats on the bed. I don’t allow umbrellas to be opened indoors. If I’m walking with someone and we have to separate to go around an obstacle (light post, hydrant, etc.) I always say “bread and butter”. The correct response should be “salt and pepper”, but Hubs (who’s always willing to humor me) says “peanut butter and jelly”. It works. We’re still together. In spite of my superstitions (that’s partly because I insisted on getting married when the clock was on the upswing, at 1:30, instead of a downswing, such as 1:00). And of course, I had something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue!

But from now on, I’m going to look on Friday the 13th as a lucky day. You’ll think you lucked out as well when you pick up Demon Lovers, which just so happens to have 13 tales of erotic romance. Each one is about either a succubus or an incubus (or in Inara LaVey’s entry, one of each!) and the lucky folks who get entangled with these sexy demons.

There’s something for everyone here. The anthology opens and closes with carnivals and cotton candy (Inara LaVey and Kilt Kilpatrick) although each is as different as can be. Some of the stories are contemporary, some are humorous, and some have a delicious horror thrill. And three are Victorian pieces (my favorite era!). Mine, La Petite Mort, is Victorian, as is “Original Cyn” by the uber-sexy Olivia Cunning (best known for her rock star erotica; yes, this one has a musical component as well. And a vampire!), and the third historical set piece, Demon’s Grace by Elena Derring, who is also making her debut (glad I’m not the only one!)

So, here are my questions for you: Are you superstitious about Friday the 13th? Do you have other superstitions?


~*~*~*~


Demon Lovers Anthology
A Succubus and Incubus Anthology


La Petite Mort: Blurb

La petite mort“The little death”. To the French, it is a euphemism for “orgasm”.
For Robert, seventh Viscount Weybridge, it might be more literal.
For six generations the firstborn sons of the Weybridge viscounts have died in the prime of their lives, wasted away by some mysterious force. Robert is the seventh, and last, of the Weybridge lords. He is determined the curse will die with him. But he never expected his killer to be such sweet temptation…
Ajalon. Temptress. Lover.
Succubus.
For hundreds of years she has yearned. Ached. Hungered for just one thing. Something only a Weybridge lord can give her. Robert is her last hope of rescue from an eternity of howling emptiness. Now she must convince him that life in her arms is worth a little death…

BUY: RAVENOUS ROMANCE 


~*~*~*~


Kat Sheridan is a recovering project manager and business analyst whose hard-bitten persona has always hidden a secret romantic. She likes her stories with a dark and dangerous flavor, so long as the villains are vanquished and true love triumphs in the end. She is inordinately fond of glitter nail polish, shiny things, bourbon, and any comestibles on which frosting can be placed. Kat splits her time between the Midwest in the summer and the South in the winter. Her peripatetic life is shared with her own real-life hero who shows her every day what happily ever after means. Connect to her on Facebook or visit her website 


30 comments:

~Sia McKye~ said...

Welcome, Kat. I'm so proud of you. And to think, you were once Mz. I'm not a writer, lol! You tell marvelous stories.

You'll notice the lemon goodie I have for you.

Yes, I have made this and another delectable one called Pull Apart Lemon Glazed Coffee Cake. I have the recipe if you want it!

Kat Sheridan said...

Ah, Sia ma dearling! You do know the way to my heart! Because the sweetest things in life are also a little tart and tangy! Now, let me grab my coffee...

Tonya Kappes said...

Major congrats, Kat!! What a way to debunk Friday the 13th!! WTG!!!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry, I'm not superstitious as all.
And Sia, never realized your blog played music! (I'd watched a video before coming here, so my speakers were still on.)

Jo said...

Delighted to hear you are being published today. Way to go. Particularly difficult in the current climate.

As for superstitions, in the UK we always paid someone cash ( a couple of cents) for a knife, we put a coin in a purse we give someone, I never accept salt from someone's hand, they have to put it down first. Never cut my nails on Sunday (hubby's mom used to say Friday). However, never thought much about the 13th until I came to Canada.

Jo said...

By the way Sia, I'll take your recipe please.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Loved your post Kat, but I don't believe in Friday 13th, To me it's another day, now if you had said Thursday the 12th then maybe I would be supersisitious as yesterday was a day I was glad to see the back of.

Yvonne.

Jo said...

Yvonne, if I'm not mistaken you are English, right? I seem to remember that Friday 13th was never something we were worried about.

Olivia Cunning said...

Happy Release Day, Kat! Congratulations. I'm proud to have a story in the same anthology as you!

Friday the 13th has always been my lucky day, so I'm anticipating good things to happen today. With a new book release, I'd say I'm off to a good start. Other than that, I'm not really superstitious. *pets my two black cats*

Kat Sheridan said...

Good morning, and glad to see you all! And in typical Friday the 13th fashion, the anthology JUST NOW became available on the publisher's site! Here's the link: http://www.ravenousromance.com/fantastica/demon-lovers-a-succubus-and-incubus-anthology.php?keyword=demon+lovers

Can you tell I'm excited?

And thank you all for the congrats!

You know, I never thought about the 13th being different in other countries. The tradition has a number of suspected origins, one of them being that there were 13 people at the Last Supper, and that Jesus died on a Friday, hence, superstitions about Friday the 13th.

Kat Sheridan said...

And Olivia, glad to see you here! Folks, you are going to LOVE her story! Sooo sexy!

Mason Canyon said...

Kat, congratulations on your release and wishing you much success. It's sounds intriguing. I'm a bit superstitious, but have always enjoyed Friday the 13th...go figure. :)

Sia, your homemade Lemon Drizzle Coffee Cake looks yummy. I'm with Jo, I'd like the recipe too.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Donna MacMeans said...

Kat -

Wanted to drop in and say CONGRATULATIONS!

What a way to celebrate a Friday the 13th. Loved your excerpt. La Petite Mort sounds like it sizzles.

I don't think I'm especially superstitious (she says as she pets her black cat), afterall - I have this huge vase of peacock feathers in my office. I've been told that peacock feathers indoors are bad luck but they've worked for me (grin). I must live in an alternate universe.

Kat Sheridan said...

Thanks for stopping by, Donna! And yes, you are sooo well known for your peacock feathers, and they DO seem to work for you! I was extremely superstitious about having them in the house, but after reading up, it seems it's a cultural thing. In some cultures they are considered wonderffully protective (the "eyes" are considered the eyes of God, watching over you). Which I was happy to discover, since the colors are SO gorgeous and I want to use them in my house now!

Dana Fredsti said...

I have five black cats so color me not so superstitious!

Kat, I am SOOOOOOOO proud of you and over the moon to have your story and Olivia's in the anthology. And that Elena D. isn't any slouch either!

Dana Fredsti said...

And... Sia, do you have music playing on your blog? The loveliest Celtic song started playing when I got here.

Kat Sheridan said...

Dana (ahem, Inara), you and that Kilt fellow are AWESOME editors and have done a fabulous job on this anthology (and your story and Kilt's are both yummy-sexxy-yummy!)And thank you for inviting me to play on your playground!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Hi, Kat and everyone.

For those who want the recipes I'll Put them up a bit later. I have the Drizzle cake in both English (since it's basically is an English cake)and my rough version of American weights and measures.

Alex, I've had the music for a bit but if you don't have your speakers on you don't discover that, lol!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Dana, Congrats to you, Kilt,and Olivia, too! I'm proud of you all. You all are such good storytellers.

Answer your question, yes I have some Celtic music on the blog. A bit of a selection. I'm still adding.

Son wanted me to put on Rock, lol! While I love rock too, I told him it wouldn't work on a blog.

Liza said...

Congratulations on being published! Hooray! You taught me a few superstitions too. I'm a BIG on for knocking on wood...

Kat Sheridan said...

Yvonne, glad your bad day is over and hoping today is much better for you!

And oh dear, Liza, sorry to teach you new superstitions! And thank you!

VA said...

Congrats, Kat!

Superstitious: I don't walk under ladders if I can help it or stir with a knife.

Ciara said...

Congratulations, Kat. It sounds like Friday the 13th is a great day for you. :)

Other Lisa said...

I have the anthology on my Kindle and am reading it right now! Really thrilled for everyone involved!

Talli Roland said...

Congratulations, Kat! :)

Am I superstitious? I like to think I'm not, but I know I am!

Kat Sheridan said...

Running back through for another slice of cake (and to see if Sia posted the recipe!)

VA, I hadn't heard about stirring with a knife. Another superstition to add to my insanity!

Ciara, thank you. Yes, it was a great day! By the end of the day Demon Lovers was #4 in the top 10 list at Ravenous Romance!

OtherLisa, I know you're going to love this. TONS of incredible authors involved! And Talli, even if you just say "God bless you" when someone sneezes, that's a superstition (people thought sneezes stopped the heart and let the soul escape through the nose, so the blessing was to welcome people back to life!)

~Sia McKye~ said...

Thanks for the reminder, Kat.

I have added the ingredients in ounces as well as cups. If you look above to my page tabs, you'll see Recipes and Extras. It's too big to put in the comments.

Stephen Tremp said...

I wonder why guys don't lay out a spread like that when discussing action flicks? That slice of cakes looks to die for!

Great to meet you Kat! Good luck with everything.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Stephen, I promise when you come to visit with your new book I'll have a *spread* for you too!

Kat Sheridan said...

Thanks for stopping by, Stephen, and thank you! And Sia always has the BEST stuff to drool over!