Wednesday, June 8, 2011

"Oh, brain! Oh, brain! Why have you deserted me?"

Please welcome back to Over Coffee, one of my favorite romance authors, Cheryl Brooks.


I've love visiting Cheryl's version of the galaxy. And those Zetithian's are hot. But more than sexy heroes, what won my heart for this series was her delightful secondary characters. I look forward to each book to see which hero will be showcased but also what fun new characters will show up. 


Wait until you meet, Kots, Waroun, and Quinn. Oh and, Threldigan, is an intriguing character who whets your appetite for more about who and what he is. If you haven't yet read any of her Star Cat Chronicles, you are missing out on a fun sexy series filled with exotic place, sexy heroes, adventures, battles and love. 


The Virgin does well as a stand alone and a great place to start.  Just sayin'. :-D


Cheryl's discussion is one I can certainly relate to. Enjoy.


There was a time when my brain never forgot a single thing. It could recall facts, figures, and bits of trivia in an instant. It could interpret 99% of all situations correctly. What it didn’t already know, it could easily absorb. Problem solving was its specialty. Given enough time, it would come up with the perfect solution all by itself. People used to borrow my brain when theirs got tired. But now that I’m working full-time, writing for two publishers, and trying to get a book ready to self-publish on Amazon, my trusty noggin has deserted me.

Granted, this desertion began at the time of life when most women’s memories decide to retire, but since it’s about ten years prior to the accepted retirement age and I need it more than ever before, the timing couldn’t be worse. At present, I’m using every spare moment to write and the things I used to do in my spare time have slowly been preempted. My garden is neglected. My horse herd has dwindled from five down to two, and neither of them have worn a saddle in years. I could probably figure out just how many years it’s been if I gave my sluggish mind enough time, but that would be too depressing. I still ride, but it’s a half hour lesson at a local stable once a week instead of the day long riding/grooming marathons at my own barn. My horses don’t complain, but on those days that I spend an hour or so brushing and clipping and spraying for flies, their appreciation is quite clear. They miss me.

But these are the things that happen to anyone who begins a second career later in life without relinquishing the first. True, I could have quit my nursing job when my first book, Slave, was published, but let’s face it: Romance writers do not enjoy the same kind of income that nurses do. At least, not in the beginning. With all the money some of my fellow authors are making by self-publishing on Kindle and other e-book formats, I’m beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel. But in order to jump on this bandwagon, I must work on three projects at once. I have thirteen unpublished manuscripts to play with, but now that my seventh book, Virgin, is about to be released, I find that I have grown as a writer. I can’t simply reformat those manuscripts, piece together some cover art, and throw them out there. They must be rewritten, polished, edited, and proofread. But for that, I need time and a clear head.

So, what else am I doing now that I never did before? I’m taking naps. I once read a humorous essay by a woman who wanted to know who that “old woman” was who had taken up residence in her house. The one who climbed stairs so slowly, the one who took naps in the afternoon, and whose bedtime coincided with that of her grandchildren. I’m here to tell you, that woman is me. Me, who used to walk briskly, could stay up all day and then work all night with no ill effects, and who seldom forgot anything. I could sure use her brain—and her body—right now. Wonder if she’d let me borrow them?

What about you? What changes have you seen in yourself as time goes by?


VIRGIN BY CHERYL BROOKS—IN STORES JUNE 2011 

 He’s never met anyone who made him purr…

Starship pilot Dax never encountered a woman he wanted badly enough. Until he met Ava Karon…

 And he’ll never give his body without giving his heart… 
Dax is happy to take Ava back to her home planet, until he finds out she’s returning to an old boyfriend…

 As their journey together turns into a quest neither expected, Ava would give herself to Dax in a heartbeat. Except he doesn’t know the first thing about seducing a woman…Excerpt: you read the first chapter on Amazon 
My review of The Virgin



Cheryl Brooks is a critical care nurse by night and a romance writer by day. She is a member of the Romance Writers of America. She is the author of The Cat Star Chronicles series and lives with her husband, two sons, five cats, five horses and one dog in Indiana. For more information, please visit http://www.cherylbrooksonline.com/.

21 comments:

~Sia McKye~ said...

Cheryl, welcome back. Love this latest story.

As for your question, I'm the same. My brain worked fast and absorbed just fast. That was then, now? not like it should. There are days it works fine. I think stress interferes a lot more as you get older and too many things to do and remember.

Hilary said...

Hi Sia and Cheryl .. yes I can relate - there's so much going on - it's deciding what's essential to do today .. and doing that to its conclusion - I have ideas in my brain .. and I know that works 19 to the dozen .. it's the rest of the limbs and organs I worry about .. now zizzing in the middle of the day is a thing I think about - but for now don't do!

Good luck with the books - lots to finish .. and Virgin does sound interesting! Cheers Hilary

Cheryl Brooks said...

Good morning, Sia!
Thanks again for having me here on Over Coffee. Always a pleasure!

I probably don't nap as often as I should, Hilary. No time!

Talli Roland said...

Hi Cheryl and Sia! Hm... I notice I certainly go to bed much earlier than I used to!

Ana said...

Great interview Cheryl. Sometimes we need 32 hours to a day don't we? I'm very excited about Virgin and can't wait to read everything else you're coming out with :)

Cheryl Brooks said...

Hi Talli!
That's part of my problem: I go to bed much LATER than I used to. I keep thinking I should move to Spain or one of those other "siesta" countries where this behavior is normal!

Thanks, Ana! Yes, more hours would help a lot!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Honestly, Cheryl, how are you managing publishing for two publishers AND contemplating self publishing a few books? No wonder your brain is numb.

Hey, are we going to hear more about Threldigan? That was a very cool thing he did in the battle and I really like him.

Virgin was a hoot. I loved watching Dax fumble around trying to figure out how to go about seducing someone and I would LOVE to have a tree top bed to play in. You come up with some of the coolest ideas!

VA said...

Cheryl with all you are asking your body to do it's a wonder it hasn't revolted more. Egads, woman! That is a lot for anyone's plate. I shouldn't tell you this since I've been enjoying the results of your crazy timelines, but you've got to take care of yourself. Yeah...I know, people in healthcare thinking their superpeople and don't have to follow the rules like everyone else.

I have been reading Chronicles totally out of order and enjoying myself immensely. Lynx broke my heart. The way you manifested his pain into actions was brilliant. Loved it! Thanks.

Off to read the Virgin excerpt.

VA said...

Awesome excerpt! Jack cracks me up, I wish I had a gun and could discharge it whenever. Plus her meddling in everyone's business is adorable.

Never answered the question so here it is. I gotta say aging sucks. I always played life like all I had to do was live long enough for replacement parts. Now, I don't want to. Thankfully, after the last year and finally making an effort the crappy knee and hip are working better. The muscles are doing better since I started wearing those fancy/expensive sneakers (trainers). No longer constant pain, so yay me! More yoga and less worrying.

Cheryl Brooks said...

Don't know about Threldigan, Sia. I might work my way back to him someday.

@VA. Actually, my body rebels all the time. Just ask anyone who saw me at Lori Foster's event last weekend. I apologize profusely to anyone who caught my malady!
Lynx got to a lot of people. He was my first truly tortured hero. Glad you enjoyed the excerpt!

Suzy said...

I truly understand your pain, Cheryl! The older (and slower) I get, the more I long for an "Alternate Universe", right next to this one, where we could slip away for "time-outs" and much-needed naps, without disturbing the timeline here in our usual worlds---We'd surely get a lot more done if that was available, wouldn't we??

Well, we can dream, and I DO!! I wish there was a way to get your publishers to understand that most of your readers want this CAT STAR SERIES to continue---your books are unique and wonderful, and your characters are unforgettable!! I want to read 10 more books about Zetithians!! I don't think I'm alone in this, am I???

Estella said...

As time goes by I have these CRS(Can't remember s***)moments more frequently.

I love the Cat Star series. wish it didn't have to end.

~Sia McKye~ said...

I move we should have an alternate universe just like Suzy says. I like how you think.

Anyone want to second that?

I'm like Vivian, I've not read the books in order but I haven't had any problems reading them out of order. Each story pretty much stands on it's own. The only thing I missed was parts of the mystery as to why the Cats were hunted. And only little bits.

There are two I haven't read yet and they're my next order.

Cheryl Brooks said...

An alternate universe sounds fabulous. I'm only afraid I'd never want to leave it!

Glad you've all enjoyed the series. I wish I could write more, but I don't think Sourcebooks wants them, and I'm pretty sure I can't publish them anywhere else. I'll have to look at the contract again.

Nancy Bristow said...

The changes I've noticed about myself as I've aged?

Yikes! where do I start?! The answers of course will depend on POV from the decade in which we live:). For me that would be 5 years into retirement. Even still I can appreciate your comments and relate. Why do you think I'm anal about documentation of my life? Can we just say that memory thing is no joke but I laugh instead of crying and then refer to my calendar, or journal or back emails;)

So, some of the things I've discovered: Calories are not my friend. I need to exercise whether I want to or not. I'm happiest when I follow my own body rhythms when it comes to eating and sleeping --- which includes naps. The world doesn't stop when I drop out of it. Others opinions of me are just that. Actions still speak louder than words. Don't stress over crap I have no control over (even if it takes a reminder to myself). I'm imperfect (I always tended to be a perfectionist and still want to defend it.) Love and laughter is what keeps me going...especially at myself.

Okay, now that you've dragged my deepest, darkest secrets from me, please toss my name in the hat for my very own autographed print copy of VIRGIN. (Not that I really need a virgin but as long as I can turn him into a STUD....:)

Cheryl Brooks said...

I only wish I could follow my biorhythms. I finally get into a groove and then I have to go to work and stay up all night. Someday...

Cheryl Brooks said...

Thanks for the terrific review, Sia!

Beth said...

I finish every day wondering where the hours went. How is it that we seem to have more to do as we get older but time conspires against us, running those clock hands faster every day?

Cheryl, I commend you for starting that second career later in life. Here's hoping the naps help and that the brain gets a super boost.

Cheryl Brooks said...

Thanks, Beth! I know what you mean about the time. I have to set timers to keep from letting my tea get too strong or dinner from burning. It's amazing just how fast the time will fly when you're sitting at a computer!

~Sia McKye~ said...

You're welcome, Cheryl. I really enjoyed your book and it tickled my fancy to no end to have super kitten with a sweetie from a water world. You come up with the greatest ideas!

Cheryl Brooks said...

The funny thing is, I wasn't thinking about the cat/water thing when I began. Sometimes my tired old brain knows more than I think it does!