Monday, January 17, 2011

Monday Musings: Odds and Ends

I’m finally feeling more human than not.

I think I’ve won the battle on the ‘flu front. A week living in two layers of everything, plus a heavy full length winter housecoat (thank you hubs for it’s use) and nestled in a down comforter, I’m now down to only two layers of socks, a pair of flannel wool blend lounge pants, and a heavy thermal shirt. This is progress.

I swear I can’t remember a time when I’ve been so cold that I couldn’t get warm. My sister suggested hot baths, but that would necessitate first taking off clothes—not my first choice. Mom said a heating pad. It helped. Some. I’m not one that gets stuff like this easily. I think the poor immune system had been overworked with an infection prior to this and so I was more susceptible. I’m on round two of Bactrin and I’ll be seeing the doctor for a check up next week, if not before. Between the two, I find myself in dire need of a new energizer battery pack, lol!

So, if you’ve been missing me on your blogs it’s because half the time I couldn’t think beyond, ‘I’m so friggin’ cold’ or ‘damn, I’m so tired’. The former seems better and I’m still wrestling with the latter.

I read a good book recently, called Brooklyn Knight, by CJ Henderson. Sort of an old time pulp adventure with a paranormal bent. Piers Knight is a bit like Indiana Jones only his adventure happens in modern times and in New York. I really enjoyed Piers. He’s a well-developed character, a bit eccentric, very intelligent, witty, and a bit old fashioned. The story is well told. There’s definitely a mystery surrounding Piers and I have some theories. I’m looking forward to Central Park Knight. I’d also love to have CJ on Over Coffee. He has had a very interesting career. I need to write a review of this one!

A question to my readers: Who would you like to see featured on Over Coffee. Let me know and I’ll do my best to get them here.

As soon as Robin Kaye and I are able, we’ll pick the winners for her latest book I let the winners know.

Some upcoming guests this week are Susan Higginbotham and Stephanie Rowe. I’m looking forward to both of them.

Meanwhile, have a great week. Stay healthy. :-)

 

13 comments:

VA said...

Thinking...

Tonya Kappes said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better!! I was worried about you!

Jo said...

Sorry you have been having such a rough time of it Sia. Did you have a flu shot? We both did. Seems to help. Hoping the tiredness will soon disappear as well.

Mason Canyon said...

Hope you continue to improve. This flu stuff just loves holding on and doesn't want to let go. Take care. Looking forward to your book review when you feel up to it.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Kat Sheridan said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better! I've been there with the cold thing. Ick!

My new fave is Kate Morton, but as she lives in Brisbane, and Brisbane has had such terrible flooding problems, I don't know how she's doing.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Kat, I've approached Kate's publicist, here in the States, last week. We'll see what comes of it.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Mason, I've heard that and I'm really trying not to over do. You know how that is, you want to run around and catch up on stuff. Yesterday was my first day out in public. Went visiting family and hubs took me out to dinner afterward. I was exhausted by the time we got home. Today, I'm dragging a bit, but it was sure nice to get out.

VA said...

I've got a couple for you:
Nalini Singh
Meljean Brook, particularly loved her The Iron Duke. The blend of steampunk and romance is fascinating, not to mention the book just rocks!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Thanks for the suggestions, Vivian. Nalini and I have been working on a *when*. I'll have to check out Meljean Brook.

Kat Sheridan said...

Sia, really? REALLY?? Because I would have a total fangirl meltdown. The other authors sound fabulous as well! VA, I'll have to check out Meljean.

VA said...

Awesome, Sia. I am on countdown for Archangel's Consort on January 25th and Hawk's story in June for Singh's Psy-Changeling series.

Needless to say, I am both absolutely on pins and needles, both terrified and excited as to when Brook's second in her Iron Seas comes out. I loved the first so much I am just a wee bit trepidacious :) about the second. Though her secondary characters to pull from should be fantastic.

aries18 said...

So glad to hear you're doing better. Hope you can keep on improving daily! As to who you might have on here? I don't have any suggestions for authors. I've been enjoying the wonderful writers you've brought us.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Kat, Really!

Wanda, I have had some fabulous guests and I'm glad you've enjoyed them. :-)