Wednesday, December 1, 2010

NOT the Same Old Wolf Tale!

My guest is para romance author, Terry Spear.

For those of you who may have been visiting another part of the galaxy the past couple of years, Terry writes a wonderfully crafted werewolf romance series.

I’ve enjoyed reading her stories. I’m fascinated by the differences of each book and especially her characters. Each book brings in new characters while putting the existing werewolf characters into situations, which show who and what they are. Another side of them, if you will and highlighting their strengths, weaknesses, and shows more of their personalities.

Wolf Fever is the same. We are reintroduced to several werewolves met in other stories. They’re familiar yet they aren’t because we see them in a different set of circumstances and different conflicts. There’s always something new to learn about them. Wolf Fever is one of Terry’s best character studies of the werewolf pack.

I was curious how she kept her stories fresh and her characters so real. Series can be difficult, in my opinion, because it is all too easy for the elements and dear characters one loves to be present but the story lacks oomph, becoming stale. The characters can easily lose their zest and fun and become just names speaking lines. I don’t know if this is because the writer is becoming bored with the world and characters, or they’ve boxed themselves in with the parameters of their world. I’ve observed this in several series I love. So not seeing this to be the case so far in Terry’s books, I asked her how she manages to keep hers fresh and characters fun.

Terry's used to me asking unusual questions and she was gracious in explaining how she manages it all.



For each new book I write, I try to give a whole new situation that isn’t like the other stories. Sometimes I come up with something in my research, but otherwise I try to create individuals who are very different from one another and some kind of a goal that’s different or the dynamics between a group of people that is unique.

In Wolf Fever, Carol Woods is considering how differently she sees some of the alpha males:

“She couldn’t help liking Ryan, despite his denial of her abilities. He had an easy but determined manner about him, not brusque like Darien or teasing like Jake or afraid to make waves like Tom. His determination was matched only by her own.”

What’s fun is comparing them and then at some future date, challenging this way they have of dealing with situations. Just a character detail like that can often give me ideas for a whole story.

Tom, for instance, is the peacemaker. He’s used to the pack leader, Darien, making the decisions and because Jake is the next oldest, when Darien isn’t available, Jake decides. So one of these days, I’m going to have to put him into a situation to challenge that.

Jake adamantly doesn’t believe in dream mating. So guess who’s the hero in the dream mating wolf tale, book number 8? In that book, I’ve moved him out of his comfort zone, and into the arms of a human woman that he falls for despite telling himself he can’t because she’s human. What makes it different from To Tempt the Wolf? In To Tempt the Wolf, Tessa is not exactly all human and Hunter’s trying to decide about turning her. But in Dreaming of the Wolf, the heroine is all human. But Jake doesn’t turn her like Hunter does Tessa, and…well, that’s the fun of the stories. Making each of them different.

Now, once our characters have certain characteristics, it means we can throw obstacles in their path and force them to change, to grow. But also, depending on who they’re with, they will act one way with one group of people and entirely differently with another. Yet, we have to keep them true to themselves in the story.

Another way that helps me to keep them fresh is to come up with a new area for the wolves to explore. Like in Maine (Legend of the White Wolf), or the Highlands (Heart of the Highland Hero) or the Grand Cayman Islands (Highland Wolf in Paradise). But also, by introducing Arctic wolves and werewolf hunters into the mix (Legend of the White Wolf). Or even a psychic (Wolf Fever, Destiny of the Wolf) or a ghost (Heart of the Highland Wolf) or an omega wolf (Seduced by the Wolf). By adding something different like that, it helps to make each story unique in another way.

Visiting Scotland and a wolf compound help me with visualizing the areas or animals better that I describe in my stories. I witnessed a bit of “fairy magic” while I was in Scotland and can’t wait to use it in a story! While watching the way a beta wolf was so beta at the wolf compound, it helps me to write about how one would act in real life. But of course, she was a captive wolf, so not exactly like a wild wolf, and my wolves are really werewolves, so not all wolf either.

~*~*~*~


WOLF FEVER 

She may be his destiny, but she's not his first choice…

Hospital nurse and newly turned red werewolf Carol Woods is being pressured by her pack leader to find a mate, but he's the only guy in the pack who remotely attracts her… Why is he playing so hard to get?

The fate of the pack rests on his shoulders…

Gray pack leader Ryan McKinley doesn't want anything to do with Carol unless she's willing to embrace her wolf nature—no matter how beautiful she is.

But when a virus infects the local lupus garou pack, Ryan realizes just how wrong he's been not to seize the moment with the woman he's come to love. And now, it may be too late…Excerpt (publishers site, scroll to the box, click excerpt tab)



With almost 56,000 copies sold, Terry Spear is a retired lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army Reserves. She received her MBA from Monmouth University. An eclectic writer, she dabbles in the paranormal as well as writing historical and true-life stories for both teen and adult audiences. Spear lives in Crawford, Texas.

For more information, please visit http://www.terryspear.com/



GREAT TERRY SPEAR eBOOK PROMOTIONS:

Heart of the Wolf—FREE eBook from 12/7/2010-12/13/2010

· Heart of the Wolf

Terry Spear Backlist—eBooks ONLY 2.99 from 12/7/2010-12/13/2010

· Destiny of the Wolf
· To Tempt the Wolf
· Legend of the White Wolf

Visit http://www.sourcebooks.com/special-offers/ebook-deals.html
for more deals every week!







26 comments:

~Sia McKye~ said...

Hey, Terry. Gald to see you visit with us again here at Over Coffee.

I think this is my favorite so far of your books. I'm looking forward to seeing how Jake handles the whole dream mate thing. I liked Jake, but Tom is intriguing to me because you sense there's a lot more to him than meets the eye.

I love the idea that HEART OF THE WOLF is being offered as a free ebook. Great introduction for the readers who haven't read the whole series, although each book does stand alone.

Elle J Rossi said...

Hi Terry and Sia!

Terry,
I adore this series. I find myself not wanting each story to end. In my mind, that is THE BEST kind of story. Your characters come alive.

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

Argh, I couldn't comment earlier, kept getting an error message.

Thanks so much for the kind words, Sia!! You made my day! I'm just thrilled you loved WOLF FEVER!

Jake is really put into a situation that is beyond his control. And you know, for alpha males, they don't like to think they have little or no control over their lives. :) So it was fun giving him a hard time!

And Tom, he's a little like Leidolf in that you see more of him each time, but still not enough to really know what he's all about. Then there comes a day when he's got a situation that's all his own to deal with: a woman--a goal--insurmountable conflict--and we admire and love him all the more. At least I hope so!!!

Thanks so much for having me here today! When I think of Scotland, I think of you, did you know that?! :)

~Sia McKye~ said...

Really? Why thank you, Terry. I am a Celtic lass.

I'm looking forward to both Jake and Tom's story and I do have a soft spot in me heart for Leidolf.

Anonymous said...

Sounds very very interesting! love it already!

Tina Marie

~Sia McKye~ said...

You'll love it, Tina. Would your Aunty steer you wrong? Hey our family loves wolves and whats better than a hunky werewolf like Ryan.

Don't forget to pick up the first one, Heart of the Wolf—FREE eBook, next week. :-)

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

Thanks so much, Elle!!! That is the greatest compliment anyone can give. I'm so thrilled you're loving the stories!! I think you'll enjoy Heart of the Highland Wolf too! :)

Hi, Tina, yes, definitely listen to Aunty Sia! :) Thanks for dropping by and commenting! Wolf packs are definitely family affairs. :)

VA said...

Intriguing excerpt, Terry. I have to say how much I admire your dedication to the details, it must be exhausting to do all that location research: Scotland, the Caymans, Maine...yeah, sounds tough :)

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

VA, too funny! The idea of setting The Highland Wolf in Paradise in the islands came from having been to the Caymans, and seeing this man dressed in a dark suit with a suitcase chained to his wrist. Everyone else was in summer ready-for-the-beach clothes and he so stood out. And what we noticed was that it seemed every corner had a bank. But no entrances, just a key code to get in. Hmmm, offshore accounts. :)

So when this crook stole the Highlander's money in Heart of the Highland Wolf, well, the man with the chain to the briefcase kept coming to mind!!!

Olivia Cunning said...

Hi, Terry! How many novels are in the series now? I do love series that touch on the lives of previous heroes/heroines so I can see what they've been up to. Congrats on the new release!

Mason Canyon said...

Terry, it's always fun learning more about your writing. I still don't see how you manage to do all that you do. Love this latest book and look forward to the others you're working on.

Sia, another wonderful author and a great series. I can't get enough of werewolves. LOL

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

~Sia McKye~ said...

Olivia, I'm with you. I like to know what's happened to some of the other characters as a series progresses.

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

Hey, Olivia, thanks so much for dropping by!
Me too. If I fall in love with characters from a series, I want to know their happily-ever-after stories too!

I've got 10 in the series so far! Can you believe it??? I'm nearly done with Book 9, The Wolf and the SEAL. And then I'll get started on the 10th book, The Highland Wolf in Paradise, which means, I've got to start working on a couple of more proposals!!! :) It's hard to believe there are that many in the series already! Mainly because just the 6th one is coming out now. :)

Thanks so much, Mason!!! I'm thrilled you're loving WOLF FEVER! I had so much fun working on Ryan and Carol. I'm excited to see what everyone will think of the Highland wolves in Scotland also!!! Thanks so much for loving the wolf tales!

Stephanie Shaw said...

I have thuroughly enjoyed all of Terry's alphas and betas. I can't wait to read Wolf Fever. I'm sure it will be another great tale. She never lets her readers down.

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

Thanks, Stephanie, I'm thrilled you love the stories. And I'm glad you've already got the wolf fever! :) Well, maybe not the book yet, but the wolfish need! :)

Okay...so Sia is sighing, shaking her head, and saying, "Go to bed, Terry."

Hey, Sia, I wanted to ask, why don't you have your Great Danes featured on the blog? I love Great Danes....

Cat said...

Terrific interview Terry! And its great I'll get an early Christmas present of your free ebook of 'Heart of the Wolf"!! Thanks! It's the only one of this series I don't have..well the newest one I don't but only because I haven't gotten to the bookstore.

Love that you have so many others planned-have lots to look forward to...

Take care

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

Hey, Cat, thanks so much! I'm thrilled you'll be able to get a copy of Heart of the Wolf free! It's in its 3rd printing already, do you believe it??? :) I haven't gotten to my book stores yet either. My bad!!!

Have a super Thursday!!!

Houston A.W. Knight said...

oh, not only does the book sound awesome but the cover is wonderful!

Yap, it's on the list for Christmas!

:-)
Big hugs
Hawk

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

Thanks, Hawk!!! Have you seen LadyHawke--she's a hawk during the day and he's a wolf during the night? Your sig reminded me of that! Thanks so much!! Enjoy!

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Terry,

Yes, I saw Lady Hawke...it was a wonderful movie...so creative how the author kept the H&H away from each other, yet they shared a love so great. Awesome story there.

I write paranormal and Native American Indian stories.

I love the cover of your book...seeing that would make me pick up the book and then discover from the blurb it was one I wanted to take home...

Sia just made my shopping easy with this post! ;-) I've seen it and read it here so now all I have to do is buy it...

I'm going out on Monday and I'll most likely buy it then because I'm one of those who can't wait for Christmas! I'll have it read by then so me Hubby will have to buy me another book of yours for under the tree...

I'm thinking I was really good this year...so I should see Heart of the Wolf, Destiny of the Wolf, To Tempt the Wolf and Legend of the White Wolf tucked under the tree on and e-book reader.

That will make for a great gift, don't you think?

Big hugs
Hawk

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

Oh, yeah, Hawk, you definitely should get the WHOLE series for Christmas. In fact, you should print out the list and leave it on his desk chair or wherever he will notice it best! :)

I used to read a lot of Native American stories. I loved Last of the Mohicans, having read it when I was a kid. And I read a lot of other Native American stories also. But recently, I was reading some true tales about them in regards to wolves, and the fighting and stealing between tribes. I'm just an eclectic reader and writer at heart!

Oh, you need to add Seduced by the Wolf (Book 5) to the list too... to make it complete. LOL! That's Leidolf's story. He is in every one of the earlier stories until he finally attempts to secure a mate in Seduced by the Wolf, which was inspired by a true wolf story. :)

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Hey Terry,

OMG thank you for telling me about the fifth one...I want them all for sure and it does sound as awesome as the others!

Man, when is Christmas going to get here? 23 days! ??? I've got to wait another 23 days! Dang it, why if I had them now I could have them read by then!

O.K., who made Christmas that far away is what I want to know.

Cool...based on a real wolf story...Yes, I've got to get these.

You're a cool lady Miss Terry...I'm so glad I met you through Sia!

Hugs
Hawk

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

And I'm thinking Christmas is getting here way too soon!!! LOL You can also send an SASE for free book marks also! Perfect for stocking stuffers!

Hope your holidays are all fun-filled, Hawk!!

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Oh Oh Ohooooooooo, Book markers! I love book markers....where do I go to get them? Do they have the same pic's as the covers?

Yeah, they're going to be stuffing me stocking! ;-)

Hawk

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

They're on my website.

www.terryspear.com

And yes, they have the book covers on them!

Just send me an email for where to send the SASE! :)

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Went to your wed page but didn't see an addie to write to you at so I hope Sia doesn't mind my doing it here...

houstonawknight@tampabay.rr.com

write me here and I'll answer that with my snail mail addie....

Oh, I went to your blog and left a message there for you as well.

Hugs
Hawk