Wednesday, August 11, 2010

When I’m Not Writing About Hunky Wolves, I am…

It's my pleasure to have para romance author, Terry Spear, visting today. I thoroughly enjoy reading her werewolf series and have been looking forward to Leidolf's story. 

Terry shares a bit of what she does when she's not writing and how many of those relaxing things lead to even more stories, except for the bears...

Thanks so much, Sia, for having me here to share some thoughts over coffee. I thought I’d talk about what I do aside from writing about werewolves!


Truthfully, I love work. I wish I had more time to write, but I enjoy the company of my fellow co-workers who share with me every wolf story that crosses the library counter, and who make me Highland hunky cake and a faux Highland book for my birthday, and even give me title ideas and story ideas and make my job even more fun—both with writing and with the day job. Heart of the Highland Wolf (coming Spring 2011) was a by-product of one of my co-workers saying I hadn’t written about a poor werewolf yet. All of them were wealthy. So what with the current economic crisis and the number of white collar criminals who have been exploiting tons of business and individuals, wiping out their bank accounts, and the fact I’d been mulling around the idea of a story about a pack of Highland wolves—how about a laird whose one salvation is to allow for a movie production at his castle? Now, he’s not happy about it. But what is a broke laird to do? Then here comes Julia Wildthorn, werewolf romance author, who’s suffering writer’s block, and what better way to jumpstart her muse than to write about hunky Highlanders? Only she doesn’t know until she arrives what she’s really getting herself into.


I also love to garden. Now, how does this relate to my stories? Whenever I moved, I’d take part of my home with me in the form of plants I love—like pine trees mysteriously appeared in gardens in Oklahoma and Texas because of my love of hearing the breeze whoosh through the pine needles in California, my original home. And the smell of the aromatic pine in the air. It reminds me of home. I’ve also brought daffodils and irises from my garden in Oklahoma, treasuring the beauty of the flowers in spring.

So too did Bella Wilder when she left Colorado to live in Oregon in Heart of the Wolf. Her greenhouse had some of her treasured plants to remind her of home. And when she returns to Colorado, she takes some of her plants from Oregon to enjoy in her new home. In Dreaming of the Wolf (coming Fall 2011), Jake Silver loves to photograph wildflowers in Colorado, and Alicia Greiston loves hikes through the Colorado country, enjoying the beauty of nature. I only wish I could take photographs as great as Jake does, but I enjoy doing my amateurish part and sharing them on my blog from time to time.


Bears! Yes, yes, I know I’m supposed to be talking about wolves, but I love to make teddy bears that have made it into Teddy Bear Review Magazine and Texas Monthly Magazine, Texas Co-op Monthly, and The MacNeill Gallery. Ah, there’s the connection. Well, kind of. Ian MacNeill is the hero in Heart of the Highland Wolf…I know, he’s a wolf, but I’ve made MacNeill Celtic Clan bears for several MacNeills, and who knows if one of them might be related to Ian? In fact, I’m sure of it. Okay, well, I’ve been asked if I would make a wolf teddy bear…a teddy bear in wolf’s clothing? Anyway, it’s still on the agenda when I have time. But I LOVE making teddy bears. Oh, which reminds me, I have to make one for a new baby.


Let’s see, I’ve taken up hiking again, with my library crew. I told you they were the greatest! And how does this relate to my stories? I’m in search of hunky wolves!!! I love returning to nature, the woods, envisioning running into sexy werewolf types and including them in my stories. Inspiration comes in all shapes, sizes and forms—and from all kinds of different venues!


And definitely reading is an inspiration to me. Seduced by the Wolf was inspired by a true story about a wolf biologist who finds a gray she-wolf, her mate dead, and she’s trying to fend for herself and a litter of pups. In Wolf Fever (December 2010), the flu epidemic that was going on at the time, gave me the idea for writing the story.


I have to mention my love of genealogy also. Although I haven’t been as active in working on it—lack of time, you know. But learning about my family’s roots has inspired me to incorporate a small bit of one of the tales concerning my family history in Heart of the Highland Wolf. And in Seduced by the Wolf, Cassie Roux is named after my Roux family from Selencourt, France, since Roux means red and she’s a red wolf. :-)


So I really do participate in other stuff other than writing! All of which help inspire me to write all things wolf, Scottish, and vampiric! ;-)


Thanks so much for having me, Sia! As always, it’s been my pleasure!


  • And here is my question for everyone: What is YOUR favorite pastime?

We will be giving two copies of Seduced By The Wolf to two commentors today. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to drop by and say hi!

SEDUCED BY THE WOLF

 His first priority is to protect his pack…

Werewolf pack leader Leidolf Wildhaven has just taken over a demoralized pack. With rogue wolves on the loose causing havoc and the authorities from the zoo suddenly zeroing in on the local wolf population, the last thing he needs in his territory is a do-gooder female, no matter how beautiful and enticing she is…

She’ll do anything to help wolves…

Biologist Cassie Roux has dedicated her life to protecting wolves in the wild. On a desperate mission to help a she-wolf with newborn pups, the last thing Cassie needs right now is a nosy and entirely too attractive werewolf pack leader trying to track her down…


With rogue wolves and hunters threatening at every turn, Cassie and Leidolf may find their attraction the most dangerous force of all…
Excerpt (under the book, click excerpt tab)         Buy: Amazon Barnes & Noble
              ~*~*~*~

A retired lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army Reserves, Terry Spear has an MBA from Monmouth College. An eclectic writer, she dabbles in the paranormal as well as writing historical and true life stories for both teen and adult audiences. Spear lives in Crawford, Texas. For more information, please visit Terry at these various places on the web:

http://www.terryspear.com/

http://www.wickedlyromantic.blogspot.com/

http://casablancaauthors.blogspot.com/

http://fierceromance.blogspot.com/     

http://www.facebook.com/terry.spear

http://shapeshifterromance.wordpress.com/

http://terry-spear.blogspot.com/



22 comments:

~Sia McKye~ said...

Terry Welcome to Over Coffee. I'm so glad you could come visit with us again. I'm thrilled that Leidolf's story is out. I liked him in the last book.

Pull up a chair and you know where the coffee and goodies are. :-)

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

Thanks so much for having me Sia! I'm off to work but will stop in tonight when I can!

Mason Canyon said...

Sia, thanks for hosting Terry. Great interview.

Terry, it's always fun to see how life has a way of weaving itself into your books. I'm loving Leidolf and Cassie's story. It's hard to put down. My only problem is I can't pick a favorite (out of all your werewolves) - guess it will just have to be the one I'm reading at the time. :) Best of luck.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

Thanks, Mason! I'm the same way. I get asked that question often, but my favorite are the ones I'm working on currently because I'm so wrapped up in their lives at the time. :) Glad you're enjoying Leidolf and Cassie's story!

Judi S said...

Seduced By The Wolf and Heart Of The Highland Wolf both sound like awesome reads! *Swoons* :)

Great blog Terry! I love hearing about how different writers find inspiration.

Hmm... my favorite pastime? Does reading count? I'd have to say that aside from reading, my time is usually consumed by watching my shows on tv, movies, studying, sewing and spending time with my beloved pets. Do chocolate or bubble baths count as a past time? LOL Pretty boring life I lead, I know.

diva donna said...

Another peek into the mystique of my wolf Goddess. So you're hiking through the woods looking for wolves. I'm trying to get into better hiking shape. So someday we can take that hike into the wilds of real wolf country. LOL. Some of my hobbies, beside reading, is enjoying my grandkids and grand dog is gardening, musical theatre, cooking and collecting diet books. I have enjoyed Seduced by the Wolf so much. So I don't need to win it. Thanks

Cat said...

Just finished reading Destiny of the Wolf and loved it! It's the second book by Terry I've read and have To Tempt the Wolf waiting in the wings. These are sure addictive!!!

Having a little more time on my hands lately gives me a little more time for my fav pasttime - reading!!

Terrific interview too...so nice to find out what Terry does in her spare (?) time!

Stephanie M said...

I love to read in my free time. Besides that I enjoy babysitting and hanging out with my cousins.

Great interview and your books sound awesome!

Kristina said...

I have read your 1st book and loved it, I'm collecting the rest of your books to read.

I love to read (of course) and I like to take pictures, but I'm not professional and would love to take a class to get more knowledge. I love taking nature pictures and objects

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

Oh, Judi, yes, swooning allowed. Here come the parade of hunks. Now, as far as I'm concerned all the above count as wonderful past times. Especially if you could share them with a wolfish kind of guy. Let's see: Reading? Check!
Share the really good parts with the wolf.

Watching shows? Check! Curl up together on the sofa while snacking on oysters. Hmm, should improve the show watching.

Studying? Check! Let him help you with your studies. Makes him feel really alpha, and breaks are really important to making good grades.

Sewing? Check!Let him thread the needles and make him something special.

Spending time with beloved pets? Hmm, now the alpha may feel there's a little competition here, unless you let him get in on the fun. :)

Chocolate and bubble baths? Check! As long as you count the wolf in!

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

Thanks so much, Donna! I want to come up there and see your wolves!!! I need to go to a howl in! Yes, get in shape, because we're going hiking!!! I loved the "grand dog" mention. Have fun with your grandchildren. I love to cook too. I don't think I mentioned that!

Jessica said...

Just stopped by to support a fav author, so don't put me in the drawing...but thanks for the thought. Great blog guys, it was interestering reading.

My favorate past time- Reading with snacks.
Cocoa cover almonds are at the top of my list for now.

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

LOL, Cat, yes, in my spare time I need to mow the yard and water again. *sigh* But thanks so much on Destiny and I know you'll love To Tempt the Wolf. Hunter, the hero from the book, has a cantankerous sister, Meara, and several readers wanted me to find an alpha male who could be her equal. So I'm having fun with The Wolf and the SEAL right now!

Thanks, Stephanie M! I babysat and loved it. No cousins to hang out with. Isn't everyone supposed to have a few of those??? It's great you have that expanded family! In wolf packs, cousins abound. :)

Kristina, thanks so much! I'm the same as you. Today I had to go to do a physical screening for my job, and there parked in the lot was a Paranormal Activities Investigator, or something like that, on a city pickup truck. I took a picture on my cell phone, but have never done that so have no idea if I captured it or not. But I'd wished I'd had my camera with me! I love taking pictures of things, and I'd take a class with you in a heartbeat to learn how to do it better!

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

Thanks, Jessica, for dropping by! Yes, same with you, reading and snacks, just add the wolf to the equation and well, even if the book is a page turner, you might very well have to take a break every once in a while. :)

Cocoa over almonds--very nutritious. Almonds are supposed to be good for you, and if it's dark chocolate, even better! :)

~Sia McKye~ said...

Hey gang! I've been dealing with on and off internet. They cut a fiber opitic somehow yesterday. Then had all kinds of problems of pulling their customers into the loop and recognizing passwords. Still having probs.

Past Times? Reading. I love to write and bring out the stories from my head to screen--gotta make room somehow in there, lol! Love being in, on, or around rivers and lakes. I spend a lot of time with my kid, horses, dogs, and etc. Going on picture safaris.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Terry, did I mention that I LOVE the colors used on your beautiful book cover? Very nice.

Wish my book would get here. I wanna read it. Sheesh.

VA said...

Hobbies. Hmmm...I'm just getting to that point where I'm rediscovering them, insert child rearing here and a spouse who likes attention paid to him when he's not working.

Reading is my favorite form of entertainment, but I don't think I consider it a hobby. It's too important.

I did needlepoint for years, sailed when I was young, caught fish for our aquarium with a glass peanut butter jar, and climbed trees. Sports, lots of them.

Now? Gardening. By far the activity that relaxes and goads me. Definitely hobby status, but I do adore taking an armful of flowers or vegetables into the house in the evening.

Sneaking a scone.

Olivia Cunning said...

Hi, Terry! I had to drop by when I found out you were blogging with Sia today.

I recently rediscovered my love of roller coasters. I've always loved them--somewhat of a fanatic--but now I live far from any theme park and my teen insisted that he HATED roller coasters and woud refuse to go on them with me. While in Orlando at Universal Studios, he decided he was macho enough to try a roller coaster for the first time in about ten years (it's a testosterone thing, I'm sure). The verdict: he is my son after all. Loved every minute of it (expect the wait in line). Hooray, I don't have to go in the single riders line anymore! Now if only I lived a bit closer to a decent theme park.

My other favorite pass time is music. I'm going to a concert next Friday that I can't WAIT to attended. Research for my rock star erotic romance series, you know. *wink

I like to take long walks. The weather has been plain miserable lately, but I try to get out of the house on occasion.

I used to flower garden and dabble in nature photography but no longer have time, what with the writing gig. My once beautiful lilies are so neglected this year. Poor things.

It's good to learn more about you, Terry. It was great meeting you at RWA nationals.

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

Oh, Sia, how awful about the cable cut. :) I've suffered that and in fact any time we have a storm, high winds, or rain, my service is out. :( I'm like you and rivers and lakes, and oceans too. I must have been a mermaid in another life!!! And yes, the cover is gorgeous! I still love the green one they did and hope they use it for another sometime. :) Why isn't your copy in your hot little hands yet? Shame on the shipper! I loved riding a horse, but I'm by no means an expert! I love your site too and about your dogs!!!

Sounds like fun, VA! I still do needlepoint on my bears. We used to sail when we lived in Florida. :) I love to garden, but I'm afraid when I'm finished with working on my yard, I'm not seeing vegetables and flowers for my effort, but visions of pulling weeds and more weeds that just shoot up the next day in new abundance. :(

Ohmigosh, Olivia, hmmm, can you use the roller coaster theme for one of your books??? I loved riding so many of the rides, but roller coasters are not my thing. Maybe it's because I rode a real elevator that started to take a dive 6 stories, then managed to stop between floors. Now, what do you do? Climb out and hope that it doesn't move? Wait for help that wasn't coming? We did pull the emergency alarm, and nothing. Nada. No one. The elevator eventually did crash, and we did climb down between the two floors before that happened. :)

Oh, I love music too, and plays. Love plays. Research is always important!

I love walks, but like you the weather is just too hot, and really dangerous. I'm so behind on working on my garden. All I can hope to do on my day off is to water and mow. :(

It was great meeting you at Nationals too! Are you going to NYC?

readwriteandedit said...

Terry,how great that you combine so many of your loves with your writing. Sounds like a seamless mix.

The elevator story sounds scary. Something we all think about but don't really ever expect.

Can't wait to read more of your stories.

~Sia McKye~ said...

I will be seeing you in NYC, Terry. I've already informed hubs that regardles what needs to be done this year, fund for National will be deducted and set aside. I'm hoping to do a workshop. We'll see if it's chosen.

I remember the Green one too. It was really pretty. But I think this one was the right choice. It captures the eye.

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

I hate my laptop! My main computer is down and I'm in the middle of composing a long, like usual, comment to the last two comments, and right near the end, my computer shuts down to do updates. Now, it keeps doing updates. So quit it, already! GRRR.

There's nothing worse than coming up with something brilliant and then losing it and having to remember what we said. Have you ever done that? It always seems that it is not half as good as what it was in the first place.

Time is running short as I'm getting ready for work too. Soooo, grumble, grumble....

ReadWriteandEdit--I think when we feel passionately about something, it shows in our writing! So it's fun to show what we enjoy doing in real life with readers in a fictional story!

The elevator was scary! It did end up crashing to the 1st floor later. Thankfully no one was on it at the time. But we heard this loud crash. We lived on the 6th floor and it would grumble and rumble and shudder whenever we rode it. Very scary. I included my terror of that elevator in Deidre's Secret (YA). :)

Thanks for enjoying my stories!!! Writing is truly a labor of love!

That will be super to see you in NYC, Sia!! Okay, now would there be the slightest chance you could also talk your brother into coming also? He could stand next to my signing both as I'm signing Heart of the Highland Wolf and be my cover model...he can wear his shirt and kilt and just look handsomely Scottish. I'll have a line longer than Kenyon's then as the ladies line up just to bat their lashes at your brother. They wouldn't even notice that he was not of the right clan. LOL!!!

Look forward to seeing you at the conference! And I agree about the book cover. It's very eye catching!!!

Thanks, Sia!