Friday, July 2, 2010

Melding Life And Wrting

It's my pleasure to have, Kathryne Kennedy, visting with us today. Kathryne has the knack of creating magical worlds and inviting you to come play. She's a wonderful storyteller with a great sense of humor and the ability to connect you with her characters and world.

There is a much work involved with creating a new series. It's not only one story you have to concern yourself with, but several. By the time an author has sold the series, they must not only define the world and its laws, but give a character sketch of each set of characters in the projected series, and a brief synopsis of each of the projected stories within the series.

So how does an author juggle their life and the life of the world of characters?


A big hello to Sia and all of her readers! It’s a pleasure to be back here again.


It was suggested that I write a post about how I juggle my writing life and my real life, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I don’t necessarily juggle. It’s more of a melding of the two.

The great thing about being a writer is that you can work anywhere, and inspiration comes at any time. The most common places for me to have sudden inspiration is in the shower (which is why I keep a notebook in there, although my bathroom floor has a tendency to get soapy and wet), that fuzzy state between waking and sleeping, while I’m talking with my family about my latest book, and whenever I just relax and rest. It’s almost as if the back of my brain is constantly working and it just takes a nudge to allow it to come out.


So truly, I guess I’m thinking about writing all of the time, especially when I get caught up in a new magical world like the one I created in The Fire Lord’s Lover. It explains many things. Like, why I have a tendency to wander off in the middle of a conversation, and have to ask my friend what in the world I was talking about to get back on track. Or why I have a tendency to walk into the corners of walls, or forget why I went into a room, or where I was going.


Is that why writers are thought of as a bit kooky?


Or is it just me? Maybe other writers have a way to juggle both worlds and I just haven’t mastered the trick of it yet. But I can see someone make a gesture and I’ll immediately think of how I can incorporate that into my character. Or watch people interact and think of how charming that would be for my hero/heroine. Or fall in love with a character from a movie and launch into an entirely new world with evolved characters of my own. Or see a wedding and wonder what characteristics made these two fall in love with each other and how they managed to overcome any obstacles in their way. Or suddenly wonder why things are the way they are, and what could change to alter the world as it is? Or see a single girl, and create a man that would be perfect for her. Or vice versa.


I lived, breathed, and slept The Fire Lord’s Lover. I can’t turn the creativity on and off, although there are times when my imagination stalls, and other times when it jumps so far ahead of me that I can’t see the ending of where it’s taking me.


But despite looking like a bit of an airhead most of the time, I have to admit that I love it. There’s an old saying that life is what you make it, and I think that’s true. What you carry around in your head, what thoughts you choose to focus on, becomes your life; because it’s the way you perceive your world (that half-empty, half-full glass of water thing).


For me, I carry around love stories, new worlds of magic, characters that charm me, adventures that I can lose myself in. My life is wonderful, no matter what I’m doing in the ‘real’ world, so maybe not being able to juggle is a good thing.

  • If you’re a writer, do you find yourself thinking about your writing most of the time?
  •  
  • Or if you’re an avid reader, do you find yourself remembering a great scene from a novel you just finished reading?

I’d love to hear about it!

~ * ~ * ~* ~


Fire Lord's Lover

If his powers are discovered, his father will destroy him...

In a magical land ruled by ruthless Elven Lords, the Fire Lord's son Dominic Raikes plays a deadly game to conceal his growing might from his malevolent father, until his arranged bride awakens in him passions he thought he had buried forever.


Unless his bride kills him first...


Lady Cassandra has been raised in outward purity and innocence, while secretly being trained as an assassin. Her mission is to bring down the Elven Lord and his champion son. But when she gets to court she discovers that nothing is what it seems, least of all the man she married...


Then Dominic and Cassandra together discover an unspeakable evil, one that threatens the destruction of the magical realm they would give their souls to save... Excerpt

See my review (4 1/2 stars a great read, must have book) for this series and book at Night Owl Reviews

Buy: Amazon,  Barnes and Noble,  Borders, BooksAMillion,  Chapters/Indigo.


Kathryne Kennedy is a multipublished, award-winning author of magical romances. She’s lived in Guam, Okinawa, and several states in the U.S., and currently lives in Arizona with her wonderful family—which includes two very tiny Chihuahuas.

She welcomes readers to visit her website where she has ongoing contests at: http://www.kathrynekennedy.com/.

29 comments:

Helen Ginger said...

When I'm really into writing a book, esp on the first draft, I dream my characters. I have to write the scenes down as soon as I wake up, whenever that is, middle of the night or morning.

Straight From Hel

Author Kathryne Kennedy said...

Aha! Another kindred spirit. :} Yes, Helen, I've got a notebook and recorder by my bed too. It's a good life. :}

Olivia Cunning said...

I think we share a muse, or a creative mind, or whatever you want to call it. Triggers for me: showers (definitely--but not those on work days for some reason) and when I'm allowed to wake up without an alarm clock (again not on work days) and am drifting in and out of sleep. That's when the great ideas come. I can sit at the computer and force myself to write, but it's never as good as those subconscious thoughts making themselves realized. Now if only I could get rid of those work days. They do put a damper on my creativity.

I was blaming my scatterbrainedness on getting older. :-) Thanks for giving me a new excuse.

I absolutely love the premise of Fire Lord's Lover, Kathryne. I'm going to have to go pick up a copy.

Author Kathryne Kennedy said...

We're not old, Olivia. We are creative spirits! :} I do hope you enjoy my latest walk-into-walls creation. Thanks so much for commenting...good to meet you!

Nancy J. Parra said...

Hi Sia, thanks for having Kathryne back.

Hi Kathryne, great post. I am like you in that I'm always writing something in my head-taking notes on scraps of paper or creating scenes while I drive-lol.

I look forward to reading your new book, Cheers~

Author Kathryne Kennedy said...

Hi again, Nancy! It's great to be back! Thank you for the warm welcome, and glad to hear you're looking forward to reading TFLL.

Stephanie McCarthy said...

I am an avid reader and I find that I think of a lot of scenes from my favorite authors. When I am facing obstacles in my life, I can usually find some resemblenece to a situation in one of the books I have read.

I love your Relics of Merlin series and can't wait for this next series.

Brandlwyne said...

Hi. If I have read a book with a really good scene I do tend to think about it and wonder what would have come next. Have a good weekend!!!

James Rafferty said...

Hi Kathryne. When I'm in the throes of creating, I'm likely to want to jot a note down about a character or snippets of dialogue at any time. Like you, I'll go into rooms and wonder -- what am I doing here -- though I can't always blame the writing for that. ;-) Best of luck in continuing to make the most of your juggling act.

Author Kathryne Kennedy said...

Hi Stephanie! So great to hear from a reader, and terrific to know that scenes from books resonate in your daily life. I hope you enjoy my new series as much as you did the Relics!

Hi Brandlwyne! Great to see another of my readers here! Best wishes for your weekend as well.

Author Kathryne Kennedy said...

Woops, we must have been posting at the same time, James! It looks like I'm not the only one who has their heads in their books a lot of the time. :} I appreciate your good wishes!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Kathryne, I loved Fire Lord's Lover and yes, I know the character you referenced as being the one the next story is centered around. Can't wait.

BTW, Night Owl Reviews picked up my review of your book. Tammie just wrote me and I added it to the article.

VA said...

Kathryne I walk into the corners of walls all the time, I think it is because I try and cut the angle to tight, you know, how close can you get with hitting it. Except, I hit it.

I love recalling scenes, and they're not always good ones. Movies, books, or what I'm writing I replay them in my mind. Real life, I replay a lot too, but usually the ones were the outcome was not what I wanted. I keep replaying it until the scene resolves itself to my liking. This can take days, btw.

Off to read the excerpt and snake some coffee.

Author Kathryne Kennedy said...

Hi Sia! Thanks so much for having me here today. You're a wonderful person with wonderful readers, so it's been a pure pleasure! Tamazon at NOR had already read and reviewed TFLL, giving it five stars and a top pick, so it's kind of you to also add a review there. I appreciate all the effort you have gone to to promote TFLL! Big hug!

Author Kathryne Kennedy said...

Hi VA! You made me smile! I always imagine I'm going to clear those walls as well. :}

You sound so much like me. I have done many reworkings of tales to satisfy my urge for a happily ever after.

I hope you enjoy the excerpt!

Pat said...

The "writing" I do is usually running-mental commentary on something infuriating or interesting I hear or read. Narrow focus can be annoying because I tune everything else out, so I miss things like objects in my path, conversation, questions, etc. The issues aren't resolved so I continually rephrase and edit. Of course, reading keeps me going, anticipating the next scene or event. I'm thinking that much of being a writer or reader occurs in many people's lives.

Author Kathryne Kennedy said...

I have many favorite authors, Pat, that allow me to escape to their world. When things in realy life aren't going well, it's how I manage to get through them. Writing intensifies that experience for me, and I'm very blessed to connect with other readers. Thank you so much for commenting!

VA said...

Great excerpt, Kathryne. Sounds deliciously intriguing.

I'm a big fan of playing out various scenarios in my head over and over again. It's the ones I don't expect that throw me for a loop.

Author Kathryne Kennedy said...

So glad you enjoyed it, VA! There may be a few parts that will throw you for a loop. :} You'll have to let me know.

Stephen Tremp said...

What a bad place to be in. Having your father and bride out to possibly kill you. Talk about double trouble. Best wishes for your success. Have a great holiday weekend.

Stephen Tremp

Author Kathryne Kennedy said...

Dominic is more than able to meet the challenge, Stephen. :} Thanks so much for commenting, good to meet you!

Kat Sheridan said...

I've enjoyed your books, Kathryne, and am looking forward to this one! What a great concept! I think about the stories I'm creating almost non-stop. It's nice to have writing as a great excuse to explain the voices in my head!

Author Kathryne Kennedy said...

Isn't it, Kat? :} Thanks so much for the kind words. Glad to know you enjoy my books, so great to hear!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Olivia, Old? Nah, only on every other Tuesday.

I must be odd, I don't really think about my stories in the shower, probably about the only place I don't. I do think about them and I've got a part of my brain running when I'm doing other things--dishes, cleaning, going for a walk. Sometimes when I'm watching TV or even reading my mind notes cool things done, said, or quirks. Yes, I do hear *conversations* in my head, lol!

Author Kathryne Kennedy said...

You're not odd, Sia. Just not a water person. :} Gotta love those conversations in the head...just as long as we don't repeat them out loud. At least in public. Heh.
I'm old for the first hour of every morning, then once I limber up, I'm just fine the rest of the day. Grin.
Hey, this is kind of neat! I just got the German edition of my books, Enchanting the Lady & Double Enchantment, in the mail today! It's so surreal to look at them in another language, and the covers are so interesting!

~Sia McKye~ said...

I always love to see what the Germans do with their covers. Even the Australians come up with some different concepts. Have you posted them to your website or facebook? I'd love to see what they look like.

Author Kathryne Kennedy said...

I'll post them on my blog, Sia. Which links to my twitter, FB & MS accounts. So stay tuned. :}

I'm signing off for the night, but wanted to thank you again for having me as a guest today. I enjoyed your readers, and loved introducing you to a few of mine.

Take care.

And thank you all!

Houston A.W. Knight said...

I live, eat and breathe writing...

Sia, come see me I've got an award for you!

Big hugs
Hawk

stacey said...

I'm always thinking about parts of books i just read.My family is always saying that i live in my own world in my head.always daydreaming.

sasluvbooks(at)yahoo.com