Monday, April 19, 2010

A Day In The Life Of A Writing Team--Lydia Dare

My guests today is a dynamic duo, Tammy Falkner and Jodie Pearson, otherwise known as Lydia Dare. They write paranormal historical romance. A CERTAIN WOLFISH CHARM is part of a trilogy and is available now at your favorite bookstore.

In Lydia dare’s debut trilogy, Regency England has gone to the wolves!


I was a bit curious about a day in the life of Lydia Dare. You know me, I want to know something, I ask. It's particularly fascinating to see how two separate writers can work together as a team and make a story work. The challenges they face.




  • The day in the life on Lydia Dare – both of us. We need to stress that last bit, as our lives are so very different from each other, that we both face different challenges in juggling our everyday lives as well as our writing.

Jodie:


I work from nine to five as a meeting planner and a travel manager for a top-notch IT consulting firm. My days are filled from the moment I get to work to the moment I leave. Some days I don’t even have time for lunch.

When I do get home, I am a single mother, recently divorced. So I spend my evenings helping my son with his homework, making dinner (in all honesty – ordering pizza), cleaning up, doing laundry, feeding the animals, and dealing with my ex way more than I’d like. Whew! I’m tired now, just looking at that list.


I am the president of my local RWA Chapter, and while that is rewarding and I do love it – there is definitely work involved with that role as well. I am also part of a very active online critique group and try to read as many chapters as I can get to.

And when I’m not doing one or all of those things…

Then I get to be Lydia Dare. Tammy and I trade off pages every day. So when she has the pages, I get a little breather (which is generally needed badly). But when I have the pages, I have to forget everything else going on with my life and immerse myself in the Regency England Tammy and I have created, filled with werewolves, witches, and vampyres. I get to escape from everyday life and let my mind dream up adventures and love matches for our characters to experience.


I love the time I’m able to be Lydia Dare.



Tammy:

My day starts around 7 am, when my fifteen-year-old yells at me from the bottom of the stairs that it’s time for school. Then I get to play bus driver and get both kids out the door and into the car. Then it’s off to school for them. And home for me. I have been self-employed for about six years, so I work from home 100% of the time. I adore what I do, the company I do contract work for and I love being able to set my own schedule.

I just happen to be the quintessential sports mom. I don’t think there’s anything better than sitting in the stands and rooting on my boys in all their activities. It’s one of the only things I do in the spare time I have, aside from write.


Of course, I have been married for seventeen years, so I try to put some time with my husband in there, too. But that’s a given.

On a really good day, Jodie sends me pages and I get to see where our story is going for the day. Neither Jodie nor I plot, so we never know what’s going to happen. Shipping your story off to someone else with little or no directional input is kind of like sending the kids to Grandma’s. You have no idea what they’ll do there, but it’s fun to see it on the pages when I get them. Then I get to move on with something new.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this partnership and love the work we’ve been doing. We hope the readers like the books as much as we’ve enjoyed writing them!



Cover Blurb: The rules of Society can be beastly—especially when you’re a werewolf and it’s that irritating time of the month.


He gets crankier and crankier as the moon gets full…

The rules of society can be beastly—especially when you’re a werewolf and it’s that irritating time of the month. Simon Westfield, the Duke of Blackmoor, is rich, powerful, and sinfully handsome, and has spent his entire life creating scandal and mayhem. It doesn’t help his wolfish temper at all that Miss Lily Rutledge seems not the least bit afraid of him, and in fact, may be as untamable as he is…


A woman whose charm is stronger that the moon…

When Lily’s beloved nephew’s behavior becomes inexplicably wild, she turns to Simon, the boy’s cousin and guardian, for help. But Simon’s idea of assistance is far different than hers, and Lily finds herself ensconced in his house and engaged to the Rogue.

They both may have bitten off more than they can chew when each begins to discover the other’s darkest
secrets…


Read an Excerpt (click on Excerpt Tab in the box below the book)



Awarding 2 copies of A Certain Wolfish Charm. 2 winners, US and Canada only



Lydia Dare is the writing team of Tammy Falkner and Jodie Pearson. Both Tammy and Jodie are active members of the Heart of Carolina Romance Writers and live near Raleigh, North Carolina.

They are working together on their next paranormal historical trilogy as Lydia Dare, which will be released by Sourcebooks Casablanca in Spring 2010!






22 comments:

s7anna said...

I'm looking forward to reading this book...I love stories with werewolves in them.

hugs,
Anna
s7anna@yahoo.ca

~Sia McKye~ said...

Jodie and Tammy, welcome to Over Coffee. We have comfy chairs and plenty of coffee and goodies on the coffee bar.

No plotting at all? How do you manage to write a book that way. Seems to me you have to have a general idea where you want the book to go?

Tonya Kappes said...

I love their story! I tried to write with a partner and it fizzled out. It takes a strong relationship to do that. Thank goodness it didn't effect our friendship.
I can relate as a writer to both of these ladies. I was a single mom doing everything Jodie did and then met my wonderful husband and we have four beautiful boys. Like Tammy, we are in ALL the sports. As a matter of fact, I wrote my first novel under a big oak tree during football season!~the second...in car line.

Lydia Dare said...

Jodie:

Sia ~ Thank you so much for having us here today. The chairs are comfy. :)

And, yeah, no plotting at all. We know who our characters are. We know what their strengths and weaknesses are and we start with a premise, but that's it. For us this is fun, because it always keeps the story fresh. We don't know what is going to happen either.

s7anna ~ I hope you enjoy the book. Good luck.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Hey Jodie. Glad you could make it. :-)

I understand now. You have a premise, an idea for the story. You define your characters so you both know them well. I'm a pantzer so I understand where you're going with this, and I can see where it would keep the story fresh.

I was curious. I've written with a partner but that was non fiction or creative projects in college.

This would be fun because it's a bit of reading enjoyment each time you get pages from each other.

Elle J Rossi said...

As you said...Two totally different lives, yet you make it work. That is an inspiration in itself. I love how each of you trust in the others abilities and creative juices.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Kat Sheridan said...

Holy cow, you BOTH leave me exhausted (and without a single excuse for not sitting down and getting to work!) The book sounds intriguing and exciting (and very hot!) Whose idea was this partnership? And how did you arrive at the name Lydia Dare? Best of luck to both of you, and wishing you much success with your careers!

James Rafferty said...

Fascinating to hear how writers balance the rest of their lives and still find time for writing. Like Kat, just reading about your schedules starts to wear me out. But I like your concept of exchanging pages, which seems like a practical approach given everything else that's going on.

James Rafferty

AvonLadyJerrica said...

I love hearing about your days, Tammy and Jodie. I feel kind of lazy now, even though I have a 4-month-old. I think I probably have way more free time than either of you, but you somehow manage to pump out an insane amount of work in a short period of time. You're both an inspiration!! With that said, I'm cutting this comment short and getting to work! LOL!

Congrats on all your success so far, and best wishes for continued success!!

Lydia Dare said...

Jodie:

Sorry, I've been absent most of the day. I told you I am a travel manager and that darned volcano in Iceland has stranded several of my clients. I've been trying to find them places to sleep and hopefully new flights to take so they can return home.

Tonya ~ What a great story! Writing a book, sitting under a big oak tree sounds really relaxing right now. :)

Sia ~ Another pantser! Yay! And you're right, at least for us, it allows us an enjoyable read and gets the creative juices flowing.

Elle ~ Thanks! We were friends before started this process. We belong to the same local RWA chapter and joined about the same time. So, we'd read each other's work and knew the other's personality before we began writing together.

Kat ~ It is tiring to read, isn't it? :) Tammy gets the credit of proposing a partnership. She was writing paranormals and had an idea for a paranormal Regency and told me about it. And then I (Tammy jokes that I live in the Regency) told her all the reasons it wouldn't work in that time period. So, she suggested we try something together. We had nothing to lose and thought we'd try it out. Lucky for us it worked out well. :)

James ~ Thanks! It works well for us, and allows us to edit as we go along. Plus we get two sets of eyes instead of just one.

Jerrica ~ You're so sweet. And I think you're doing great! A four-month-old? I didn't start writing again until my son was almost 10. Those little angles demand and deserve all the time, love, and attention you can give them. I remember those days fondly.

Helen Ginger said...

I've only written one book with a partner, but the writing was fun. We traded off chapters and it was interesting to read what my partner came up with. We always tried to end each chapter with something totally unexpected. Then we could sit back and cackle, how will she get the character out of this?!

Helen
Straight From Hel

VA said...

Okay, I have to admit that this is a fascinating partnership, enviable really. Must read excerpt...

VA said...

This is a hoot! Knowing that it's paranormal I can see where the road begins, but not where it's leading yet. Intriguing and entertaining with a fun, saucy voice.

Thanks Sia for another heads up on the goodies.

Lydia Dare said...

Jodie:

Helen ~ I'm so glad you enjoyed writing with a partner. And from time to time we've each ended our sections with a cliff hanger. And it's never solved the way we think it will be.

VA ~ Thanks! I hope you enjoy the book. :)

~Sia McKye~ said...

VA, you know that I try to have only the best and most fascinating authors and stories here. lolol!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Jodie, poor you! I heard about that volcano. What a mess. Do you have any hair left on your head? Or have you pulled all out?

A friend of mine flew out of Paris just before, lucky him.

~Sia McKye~ said...

I'm curious, do you two plan on being a team for only para/historical? Or do you see yourselves branching into other areas?

Remind us when your next two in this series will be released. That way we can get everyone drooling in anticipation...

Lydia Dare said...

Jodie:

Sia ~ I have a little bit of hair left and it all just turned grey. ;) Just kidding. Your friend is really lucky. (Of course there are worse places to be stuck. I was a little jealous of the lady stuck in Edinburgh.)

For now we only plan on being a para/historical team. Tammy has tons of interests and she could publish in another genre if she had any time to put toward it. I think of everything in Regency terms. So if I do anything on my own, it would most likely be in that era.

Lydia Dare said...

OH! And the next two books are due out really soon.

TALL, DARK and WOLFISH is supposed to be released May 4th (But some of my friends have already received the pre-orders from Amazon.)

THE WOLF NEXT DOOR should be on shelves June 1st.

This afternoon, the UPS driver delivered my publisher copies of TALL, DARK and WOLFISH. I think his ears are still ringing from squeal.

Anonymous said...

what a fabulous team you two make...i'm interested in reading your work...

karenk
kmkuka at yahoo dot com

Alyson Reuben said...

Lydia, how fantastic that you work so well as a team! It's amazing to me that you wing the story without notes or an outline. You must both have some innate sense of what the other expects from the story. Otherwise, I would think there'd be a big chance you'd both go in two totally different directions.

As far as lifestyle is concerned, I totally identify with Tammy's. I'm also a sports mom, although I only have one daughter. I've been married for almost 15 years and I try to always make time for my hubby, too! Not always easy on a tight schedule.

Loved reading this day in the life of Lydia Dare!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Poor UPS guy. There going to be providing earplugs for the delivery guys, thanks to Lydia Dare, lmao!

I can so understand your excitement! I think I'd be going to town and say, look, my book, go by the bank, look my book, grocery store, my book, gas station...yah you get the pic, lolol!

I sure do appreciate Lydia Dare stopping by here over coffee. It's been fun!