Monday, June 22, 2009

Fairy Tales for Adults

"Giving new meaning to the term alpha male."


Award winning author, Terry Spear, is my guest today Over Coffee. Terry writes Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romances and Scottish Medieval Romances. She is a lady of many talents, including creating award-winning teddy bears, Wilde & Woolly Bearsmaking. Some of my favorites are the Scot Clan Bears-with the tartan and tams.


One of the things that impresses me about Terry is her knowledge of wolves—their behavior and how they live, interactions within the pack, hunt—which makes her stories even more realistic.

Today, Terry discusses how fairy tales have influenced her writing, particularly in her Werewolf series.

I’ve always loved mythology and enjoyed reading folk tales from other countries, fairy tales, too, that often began as oral stories and eventually differing versions were captured in print so that I could enjoy them also.

Because of the fondness I have for tried and true fairy tales, I slip in fairy tale references in my wolf stories, too…Little Red Riding Hood in To Tempt the Wolf, and a different reference to Little Red Riding Hood in Legend of the White Wolf. When I was looking for pictures to illustrate this, I discovered that some story analysts think that the wolf in Little Red Riding Hood referred to a werewolf. So see, it’s in my stories for a reason. :-)


I had a reference to The Three Little Pigs in well, one of the wolf tales. Can’t remember which now. Maybe in Heart of the Wolf? Or Destiny of the Wolf?
And in the current work in progress–a reference to Alice in Wonderland in Seduction of the Wolf. I’ve also referenced Hansel and Gretel, can’t remember which story now either. But I love to refer to them because they were such a mainstay of what I read as a kid and certain aspects of them really stuck with me!

The morals of the story are still important messages taught today. How about the wolf in sheep’s clothing? Hey, I have werewolves in sheep’s clothing, too. :) Come to think of it, wolves sure have a bad reputation. Ever see a story where the wolf is a good guy in fairy tales?

In some Native Amercian tales, yes. Many tribes, both in Canada and America, revered the wolf, the way they hunted together, worked together, played together, took care of their families…so to them, the wolf was not to be feared but respected.

In my stories, the werewolf characters come in all sizes and all kinds, both good and bad. So my fairy tales for adults, are less…biased, to my way of thinking. :-)

Ever see references to fairy tales in books you’ve read? Some of course are Cinderella knock offs, or other such tales, using the same premise for the whole story, and those are fun to read, too!

I wonder some day if the old classics weren’t read, would fans in the future not even know what the references were to???

If you’re looking for a free read, I’ve started a newsletter subscription where I’ll be sending a weekly installment of a story that’s been published and I’ve received my rights back. For now, it’s: Goddess in Training. I’ve sent the first installment, but can forward the first one to any who sign up later. It’s a way of thanking my fans and giving them something to read until the next book, To Tempt the Wolf, hits their mailboxes or book stores!

Also, you can reach me at the following places. I can always use more friends!
http://www.terryspear.com/
MyspaceTwitterFacebook
  • Win a copy of Destiny Of The Wolf. Terry will be giving away a copy of Destiny Of The Wolf to one lucky commentor today. USA only.
***
Award-winning author of paranormal romantic suspense, urban fantasy, and medieval romantic susense. PW's BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR. Retired LTC with the USAR and award-winning teddy bear artist whose works have been featured in Teddy Bear Review Magazine, Teddy Bear & Friends, The MacNeill Galley, Texas Monthly & Texas Co-op Monthly, Terry Spear writes both for adults and young adults, novels, short stories, fiction and nonfiction.

Originally from California, she’s lived in eight states and now resides in the heart of Texas. She is the author of Heart of the Wolf, Destiny of the Wolf, To Tempt the Wolf, Legend of the White Wolf, Winning the Highlander’s Heart, Deadly Liaisons, The Vampire…In My Dreams (young adult), Deidre's Secret (young adult), The Accidental Highland Hero (2010), two more wolf tales from Sourcebooks, and numerous articles and short stories for magazines.

36 comments:

~Sia McKye~ said...

Terry, welcome to Over Coffee. Since you have to work today, I figured I make sure you had some good coffee and your choice of muffins and scones.

See? A nice comfy chair and you're ready to start the day with us!

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

LOL, Sia, sounds awfully good! Thanks for having me. I work at a library and we have some of the nicest patrons who bring us goodies too. :) But it's a madhouse during the summer when the kids are out of school. :)
I'll be checking in before I leave for lunch and again at lunch time, and when I get home!

So what was one of your favorite fairy tales when you were growing up?

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

Oh, and if the winner wants a different book, Heart of the Wolf instead, or wants to wait for a copy of To Tempt the Wolf, that's fine with me also!

Kat Sheridan said...

I love that you include fairy tale references! I'll have to look for them as I read your books--sort of like hunting for an Easter egg! I think wolves make great characters. Can't wait to see your take on them!

Kat Sheridan said...

And I checked your website, and the custom author bears are adorable! What a great gift idea for an author! And Sia, did you see the Celtic bears? You need one with a kilt!

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

Thanks, Kat! Most reviews even from Publishers Weekly and Romantic Times say they are so real that it seems they live among us. :)

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

Ah, thanks, Kat! I've won all kinds of awards on the bears, and they've been featured in several magazines! And like characters in books, they each have their own character!

Adina said...

This is such an enchanting world for adults !
I love it :)

Wildwitch said...

I like how you say they are "fairy tales for adults". That's how it feels when I read them. They are fun to read, you escape to a happy place and you love the characters in the story.

Yes...I love the books :)

Carly Carson said...

Wow, Terry, you're also an artist? I never knew that. Plus you have a day job. Way to make me feel inadequate. lol

I love the pictures you posted.

Carly

~Sia McKye~ said...

Yes, Kat, I noticed, LOL, and also looked at Terry's bears. I kinda think one with a McKay tartan would look great!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Favorite Fairy Tale...hmmm, that's a hard one Terry. I loved reading them. I have Grim Brothers tales but I really enjoyed Aesop's.

I loved The Lion and The Mouse, The Wolf And The Dog, Belling The Cat. I think one of my favorite of Grimms was Rapunzel, but I also loved Cinderella and Rumpelstiltskin.

Anonymous said...

Hi Terry! Fantastic post and I love the subject Fairy Tales for Adults. I read Heart of the wolf and thought it was fantastic. Would love to win a copy of Destiny of the Wolf. Barb P

McKenna Chase said...

Hey, Terry! Had to come over and post. Love your 'wolf' books. Wolves can make very sexy heroes. And I'm with you on the fairy tale references. You know Jana Mercy and I did that in Her Big Bad Wolf and it was so much fun to write with the fantasy element. Looking forward to more of your 'wolf' books.

McKenna Chase

~Sia McKye~ said...

Nice website, McKenna! Like the sound of your book!

Thanks for stopping by. :-)

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

Thanks, Adina! Hope you like the series!

And thanks, Wildwitch for such a nice review!!! I loved your email too! Made my day!

Thanks, Carly! Yeah, I feel I'm doing a dozen things all at once ALL the time! Which is why I'm having a time posting comments places where I need to! :) But...it kind of keeps me out of trouble!

Yeah, a McKay bear would be perfect for you, Sia! I loved Rapunzel also. In fact I've wondered how I could add it to a story. LOL Werewolf princess stuck in tower...uhm, my editor probably wouldn't go for it. LOL And the Glass Mountain, or at least that's what I thought it was.

Hey Barb P, thanks so much!!! You'll love Destiny and To Tempt the Wolf, poor Hunter is in a real quandary!

Thanks, McKenna, from one wolfish person to another! At the children's story time hour last week, we had a story teller who had all the little kids howling. I wish I'd had a tape of it and could have used it during my book signings. It definitely was the highlight of my hectic day that week! LOL

Sheila Deeth said...

Hi Terry! I loved Destiny of the Wolf. I love your characters, and I did think maybe I caught a whiff of remembered fairy tales. They're just so beautifully lively and alive and that special bit different.

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

Hey, Sheila, you don't remember which fairy tale, do you? LOL I'm going to have to make a mental note of it next time. I don't plan it, but it just pops up in the dialogue or narration and feels just right while I'm creating the stories. :)

Annie Nicholas said...

Love the reference to fairy tales. Never to old to enjoy a story.

Dana Fredsti said...

Sia, thank you for introducing me to a new author whom I MUST read! Terry, I'm positive the wolf in Little Red Riding Hood was a werewolf. Always thought that, once I first read about shapeshifters!

PJ von Detweiler said...

The Brothers Grimm, Hans Christian Anderson, the fodder of childhood. I can't begin to count the number of times Alice's rabbit hole has been referenced in books I've read.

Great post. I guess that's why I'm drawn to romance--I love a HEA ending (although fairy tales didn't have them for a long time!)

~Sia McKye~ said...

My pleasure, Dana. I'm behind on reading Terry's books. I've seen them highlighted on Casablanca and Wickedly Romantic blogs and each time I've seen them, I've thought, oooh, love the cover, oooh, LOVE the storyline, and omg, love excerpt. I'm wanting to read the first in this series. I already know, I'll be following Terry's writing and stories.

PJ, how right you are with few if any happy endings. But I've always loved the morals of the story and how if you think about something you can find a way out.

Rhonda Valverde said...

Hi Terry. As I've told you many times, I loved the first two wolf books and I'm looking forward to the rest. For anyone who hasn't read them, they are a must read! I've never read and author that was capable of writing about shifters and still keep the true dynamics of a wolf pack complete! (wolves are a passion of mine so it's hard to impress me in that area. lol)
Also, the vampire story Deadly Liaisons was amazing. I immediately became attached to all the characters, not just the main two.
Keep up the great work!

Helen Ginger said...

I like the idea of fairy tales for adults. And who could turn down a wolf? In a book, of course!

Helen
Straight From Hel

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

Annie, I so agree! Never ever too old to read a good story! :)

Hey, Dana, I never knew that some thought that! LOL, yeah, probably was one of the BAD werewolves. Hope you enjoy the stories!:)

Thanks, PJ! I agree with the HEA. I remember reading or seeing stories with the old time werewolves...men who didn't realize they were the ones killing people, or that they were shape shifting. But I had also read Jack London's White Fang and Call of the Wild as a kid and loved how he showed the point of view of the wolf, how they had to live just as much as humans did. Deep down, I had always felt for the plight of the wolf. And that's how I created my stories. :)

Hey, Rhonda! Thanks so much!!! I promise you will love To Tempt the Wolf!!! Think, naked guy on beach, who heroine rescues, only the tables are soon turned and he's protecting her...he's lost his pack, his sister, his home, his memories, and picked up one human female who changes his world forever. :) And thanks on Deadly Liaisons! I definitely have to write more of the stories!

Helen, only in a book??? :) Thanks for dropping by and commenting!

Inez Kelley said...

Ares enthralled me from a young teen on. I loved the idea of all that violent passion wrapped up in a short greek chiton. You can't tell me the God of War wouldn't be the ultimate Dom?

And the myth about how Aphrodite chose Hephaestus, the malformed, crippled God of Fire, to be her husband spun wild tales through my head. I might have to retell that tale myself. Hmmmm

Lisa Mason said...

Hi Terry! Good to see you here. Hope all is well. I agree that just because we grow up, we should not have to lose Fairy Tales. After all, I believe that really is what paranormal romance is Fairy Tales for adults.They take you off to a place you can escape from reality, and who doesn't need an escape from reality once in a while? I know I do! I have Heart of The Wolf and Destiny of the Wolf, of course. If I am chosen as the winner, I would be more than happy to wait for To Tempt The Wolf. JUst keep those fabulous books coming! xo Lisa

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

I loved reading Greek mythology that explained why things happened in nature. In my wolf tales, the oral history is passed down from wolf packs, which is fun. I based this on my own genealogy searches and looking for historical truths in my own ancestral tree. Some are very close to the oral history passed down. Some are much more fun. :)

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

Hi Lisa! Thanks so much!!! Yeah, I agree. I watched Star Dust and loved the fairy tale. It reminded me so much of the ones I'd read as a kid. And definitely, escaping reality is what reading stories for me is all about. And writing them too! :)

~Sia McKye~ said...

I love reading mythology period. I've read Celtic, Egyptian, Scandanavian and Greek/Roman. It's fun. Fiction but not. Some great ideas in those tales.

Hey, I love The Princess Bride--if that's not fairy tales for adults, I don't know what is. I know a lot of the dialog too. Hmmm, might be because I've seen it so many times?

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

Oh yeah, Sia, The Princess Bride is one of my favorite stories of all times!!! :) And I enjoyed Legend about unicorns, and Labrynth... *sigh* the list goes on and on!

Also, back to Rhonda's comment about Deadly Liaisons...it's a hot vampire romantic suspense, and when the vampires shift...guess what they like to wear??? Wolf coats! It'll be in print later, but for now, it's an ebook if anyone is interested in checking out a romance with bite at Samhain, also set in rainy Oregon, where I used to live! http://samhainpublishing.com/romance/deadly-liaisons

~Sia McKye~ said...

Vampires that shift and wear wolf coats. Doesn't sound like your typical vampire story. Intriguing.

Funny we should be talking about myths and folklore, my sister bought me a gift, a couple of weeks ago, Ancient Myths and Culture. It's a very heavy--yikes, but beautifully illustrated and covers the usual greek/roman/celtic/viking tales of heroes but with the adds the culture and methodology. But also includes the Orient--I haven't read about those as much. I've been making my way through that and enjoying it.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Terry, thank you for being a guest Over Coffee. I enjoyed the chat and our guests who pulled up a chair and shared their thoughts.

Looking foreward to reading your latest. :-)

Terry Spear/Terry Lee Wilde said...

Thanks so much, Sia, speaking of vampires...I just received Deadly Liasons final edits for the print version which will be released Jan 2010. :)

Thanks for having me!

Conda V. Douglas said...

I see fairy tales in plots all the time! Of course, Joseph Campbell would say that's to be expected, fairy tales being myths and all.

Terry Spear said...

Lisa Mason, you're the winner!

But, ladies, I'll be having several more contests coming up as the release date approaches for To Tempt the Wolf! So keep a look out for chances to win! I'll be posting on Twitter and myspace and facebook. Thanks for all your comments. It was fun!