Monday, March 9, 2015

MONDAY MUSINGS—MY SPRING IS BROKEN



After all these years I would much prefer not to torque my inner spring either forward or backward. Personally, I’d prefer to stay on daylight saving time. In other words, stay on the time schedule we have in the spring through the summer. To me it makes more sense. My body gradually adjusts to the loss of daylight and does it naturally without stress. This whole jerk forward or backward is too abrupt.

Indian quote and picture: Funny Pics Funny Images Funny Quotes
Oh, I’ve heard the pros and cons, but you know what? The earth moves on a twenty-four hour clock. Sunrise and sunset times shift with the earth’s tilt and life on earth shifts just as gradually to the change in light. The whole concept of ripping an hour of daylight from the evening and patching it onto the morning makes no sense to me. I know it’s supposed to improve the saving of energy in the evening by modifying electric consumption during peak hours. It, allegedly,  gives more light for school buses and helps reduce commuting accidents in the morning. In my opinion, I think commuting home in the dark after a long work day and when a person is more tired and less alert, is a more dangerous time for accidents.

As for energy consumption, haven’t we just traded the mass usage from one part of the day to the other? And this saves energy how? Maybe, back in the day, it saved energy and shifted peak loads of electricity  when the ability to produce and deliver electricity was more archaic (like in the early 1900’s when this whole mess started) but today? Not so much. 

There are quite a few energy studies that have been done in the last ten-fifteen years that show autumn falling back actually increases usage and consumption. It costs more. California Energy Commission did a study of the effects of changing time in the early part of 2000. Their conclusion was by keeping year round daylight saving time—spring/summer time—would save consumers between $100 million to $300 million dollars a year. 

Granted, California is a high electric consumption state, but still I would think those savings would translate across the country although the amount of savings would be less. It would also reduce the strain on resources in the winter because it would allow for commuters to get home before sunset and falling temperatures could cause a peak in energy usage. In my opinion, it makes more sense to save what daylight hours there are for the late afternoon and evening in the winter and not rip them away and attach them to winter mornings.

Personally, I’m all for keeping our clocks on the same spring/summer time year round. I can assure you, my body would be much happier.

Jim Hunt has some great cartoons: facebook.com/huntcartoons     

Upcoming guests:
Wednesday: YA author David Powers King 
Friday: Romance author Trish Milburn 





21 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I hate spring forward.
I just wished we stuck to the same time as the rest of the world. How about we all split the difference and adjust all clocks by thirty minutes permanently?

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I hate springing forward too. I want my hour of sleep back!

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I think almost everyone in the US agrees. I would love to see it abolished. But as far as I know, there isn't any serious campaign to eliminate it nationwide, is there? We just groan about it twice a year and then forget about it ...

cleemckenzie said...

Hear! Hear! I do what the chickens do. When it's light I wake up. When it's dark I fall asleep. So simple. No springs involved.

Chrys Fey said...

Springing forward is not my thing. After I adjust to how dark it gets when we fall back, I like it better.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I like Alex's suggestion. I would rather it didn't change too and I also like it when it stays lighter later in the day.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Springing Forward was rough yesterday. Why do we have to change it? What's wrong with it getting light so early?

Natalie Aguirre said...

Not sure why, but it didn't bother me this year. I look forward to it staying lighter at night longer.

shelly said...

I totally agree with you. Moving us up and down screws up everyone's body clock. Today and the next week, I'll feel like a zombie.

Karen Walker said...

I am so with you on this one, Sia. New Mexico is actually looking at doing away with it.

Liza said...

I could do without the change. It's getting harder and harder to deal with it as I get older. I am enjoying sunlight as I write this after six pm, but it was getting lighter and lighter anyway. I could be patient, or at least wait until the end of April, when there is more light anyway and the change is less disruptive to the system.

Jo said...

I always understood it was brought in because of the Second World War. Which, they may not have noticed, is now over. Having done it all my life, I don't think much about it but I do wish my watch would alter itself like all my electronic devices do.

Jen Daiker said...

I loved the image!!! That's exactly how I felt today when I heard it pouring outside my window. Not a day to leave my pajamas... alas that does not pay the bills.

Sharon Marie Himsl said...

No kidding. My sentiments exactly, and I totally forgot too. Had a place to be this morning and missed it :(

~Sia McKye~ said...

Sorry to be getting back to y'all late--yesterday I was up to my eyeballs dealing with stuff.

Alex--Spring forward is pretty harsh that first Monday. Yep, lets just stay one set time.

Elizabeth--lol! yep, that hour kicks you butt

Dianne--no serious campaign to eliminate it but a lot of grumbling.

Clee--I prefer the simple too. Chickens have the right idea and one people did for thousands of years until the advent of offices and business by electricity. :-)

Chrys--I'm the opposite. I prefer the spring/summer hours for all year.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Susan--me too. regardless of time changes I've always hated losing the sun so early. At least I don't live in the mountains where you might have the sun until 4, in the winter, if you're lucky.

Diane--it was rough on Monday for me getting my shedule and inner clock to mesh.

Natalie--I look forward lighter evenings too.

Shelly--I'm thinking that's where the idea of zombies came from, lol!

Karen--there are several states that are trying to abolish it. I'd be happy if we did it nationwide--they did it for several years in the mid-70's.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Liza--I mentioned that to hubs as well. Why March? If they've got to do this, leave in April as it was--light and dark aren't quite so apparent.

Jo--actually, time change was orginally done during the first world war. The Germans did it then as did many countries. Then it was discontinued until WWII and then it was called 'War Time' instead of daylight saving time.

If I remember correctly, time change wasn't made uniform and nationwide until...I want to say mid 60's? It was adjusted, by congress, a few years ago for first sunday in March and last weekend in October.

Jen--Thank you. I LOVE Jim Hunt's cartoons! Our rain didn't start here until late afternoon, but I love just being able to stay in something comfortable and curl up and read or crochet when it rains.

Sharon--oh no. ack--I hate that when it happens.

Julie Flanders said...

I was just talking about this with a co-worker. I could not agree more. It seems everyone hates it. I always feel weird for days afterwards and it seems so silly to me. I wish we could just stick to the same time year round.

Yolanda Renee said...

Totally agree, who does benefit?

Kat Sheridan said...

When I worked, I hated it. Especially the spring forward part. Now that I'm no longer tied to a job, I live pretty much by my body clock. I get up when I wake up, sleep when I get tired (which includes an afternoon nap), eat when I'm hungry. I record everything on TV and watch at my own schedule. I rarely have to be someplace at a given time, and much prefer it this way.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sia .. it's the other one I don't like - where we go into the depths of darkness ... I'm looking forward to our clocks forward in 10 days ... longer days in the evenings ... bliss!

I quite enjoy it .. not sure why - but I like change and embrace it ..

Cheers Hilary