Monday, June 30, 2014

MONDAY MUSINGS: WORK AND FUN




For those of you who may not have caught my announcement last week, I'm taking off July and August for some much needed down time. During that time there will be no guest posts just Monday Musings. I will resume my normal schedule in September.

I have several projects planned for the summer. I'm including both work projects and fun--which I need.

Work in progress:

My shoulder is doing well. In fact the doctor said I'm well ahead of the game plan considering how seriously I was injured. He's impressed, especially considering I fired my physical therapy group and have been doing this on my own. Not without a great deal of research and putting past training into play. He projected I'd probably only regain 90% usage at best and that was being optimistic, although I didn't know that at the time. In reality, he thought it would be more like 80% tops in the course of a year (given the damage to the muscle, socket, and that I'm missing part of a bone). I'm already solidly in that range and moving upwards 3 months after surgery. Hey, I'm a determined person and I've beaten the odds in several situations where I was given less than stellar odds. A lot has to do with a person's attitude and dedication. Now he's thinking I'll regain closer to 95%. That last 5% will take close to a year to reach. I can work with that. 

My husband finished up doing the initial cut for the rest of my walking track. He added a few extra trails I didn't know about. Next is taking the riding mower over them. They're pretty cool trails. I've also gotten some weights to work my shoulder and get the damaged muscle fluid and strong. The weights will be great for toning up the arms and shoulders.  

I'm catching up on books in my TBR pile and enjoying the down time. Read lots of good stories and found a couple of new to me authors that remind me why I like romance. Their stories are good and the characters are normal everyday people or families.  I like the region or town they've set the series in. I like the focus on falling in love and the character's issues and goals and while there is sex--it is a natural progression when you fall in love--it's not pages and pages of details. I don't know about anyone else but details do nothing for me. Honestly, I've found myself sighing and skipping through the sex scenes. I don't need a manual and so many books have that feel. These stories focus on the main characters and the sex involved is secondary to the central story. It's the icing and it comes at the right time. It fits. I don't know about you, but I'm getting tired of stories that use explicit sex as a short cut. 

I've also been focusing on my own writing again.  I've done a lot of experimental writing over the past few years--trying different genres and ways of telling a story. I've been sorting through them with a critical eye. Some are actually good. Some will remain an experiment, lesson learned and move on. :-)


  • What's on your summer agenda? 


                                                                                                                                                              

For those who love to read and win books and such there is a good blog hop coming up in July.



This one is hosted by Herding Cats & Burning Soup. Going to be a lot of give aways. Don't you just love that picture? I do. If you want to participate you can sign up here. Each blog will feature their favorite reads and will be giving away books and other summer things and there is also a grand prize giveaway. Further details are here.

                                                                                                                                                            

23 comments:

Suzanne Furness said...

Enjoy the down time, I'm planning a couple of weeks offline over the summer too. Glad to hear your shoulder is healing, Sia.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I'm glad you're doing well and I think it's awesome that y'all have created your own walking track. I hope you enjoy your down time!

Kat Sheridan said...

I'm so glad to hear you're doing well, and that you'll be taking some well-deserved time off! We'll miss you, of course, but I know you'll be out there having a wonderful time on your trails and curled up with wonderful books!

And yeah, the sex scenes. My first novel got pretty heavy in that area. The one I'm working on now? Yeah, I think it's going to be a lot more closed doors and leaving things to the imagination.

Jo said...

Glad to hear your shoulder is coming along so well. Had a bad shoulder for a couple of years now so know some of the probs. Enjoy your downtime.

I agree about sex in books, I don't need a blow by blow (lick by lick) description thanks very much.

Mason Canyon said...

It's wonderful to hear your shoulder is coming along so well. I have no doubt you'll be back to 100 percent. Enjoy your time off.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You just beat those odds and make it 100%! Glad your walking trails are coming together.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sia - that's great news the shoulder is healing so quickly and so well - as you say keep on doing what you're doing.

Hubby's exertions in giving you some extra loops, twists and turns in your walking track sounds just brilliant .. would love tohave that sort of track to wander around on .. must up to the Downs for some grass walking .. and the farm shop - so I'm not far from a turf walk .. cheers and enjoy the reading etc .. Hilary

Liza said...

Glad to hear how well you are doing with your shoulder. No real summer plans. I do find my writing usually slows down...then September comes and I'm rejuvenated.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I do book formatting for a couple erotica authors and sometimes I'm like "Holy Cow!" That was more than I needed to know.

shelly said...

I skip the sex scenes, too.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Suzanne I'm working on that part of me that says, wait a minute, don't you have something you're supposed to be doing? I'm thrilled with my shoulder progress!

Keith I love my walking track and hubs is a prince among men to help me with it. :-)

Jo exactly! I don't need lick by lick, lol! I'm very happy with my shoulder and I will get even better but there will always be certain issues with it. That's reality.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Kat I have nothing against sex scenes but lately they've lost the zing and have moved to the feeling of TMI. For me, they become ho-hum because I have no real connection the scene because there has been little or no build up.

The brain is the biggest sexual organ and unless you can engage that long before the actual deed, then it seem almost like forced. Needs more build up of the sexual tension so when it does happens it means something. IMO, anyway. I think there should be some things left to the imagination to fill in.

Having said that, erotic romance writer Olivia Cunning writes some graphic sex but it's so connected to the feelings of the characters (and so the reader is also connected) and a weave of the story that blends beautifully. The story is first, the characters are first and the sex act is an important part but blended just right so it's the icing on the relationship. Not with the feel of rushing to drop in a sex scene.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Mason the poor body just isn't going to see 100% of much anymore, but it will be the best I can make it!

Hilary Hubs is quite brilliant and I appreciate the little things he does to show me that I'm important in his eyes. Whether it's doing dishes, cleaning the house, cooking a meal, or extra special things like this track, it shows me his caring heart. I love that.

Walking near the Downs or near the ocean would be lovely!

cleemckenzie said...

Happy Summer Break. I'm not getting one this year, but I'll make up for it later.

Hope the reading is wonderful.

~Sia McKye~ said...

thanks ALex! I'll just make it my new 100%

Liza Fall has a way of rejuvenating. But surprisingly, in my writing I'm very productive in the summer. Have a great summer.

Diane Lol! Yah, I'm a beta reader for a couple and man, I have a lot of "Holy Cow!" moments, followed by, really? They can do that? lolol!

Shelly Lol! Yah, even with some of my favorite authors, like Christine Feehan, I've been known to skip a few pages or skim because sometimes she's pretty good about weaving in the character feelings and adding tidbits to the story and you don't want to miss those. :-D

Karen Walker said...

Sia, so so happy you are doing so well. I just got back from Europe so missed posts for about 4 weeks. Hope you have a wonderful summer and continue your rapid recovery.

Anne Gallagher said...

I've been on hiatus and didn't know you'd had a shoulder injury/surgery, but I'm so glad you're doing so well. Kudo's to you for getting rid of your PT team. Sometimes it's the best thing for you.

And how wonderful is Hubs for building you new trails.

Have a great couple of months off. I'm going to the beach for a couple of weeks and can't wait to get into my TBR pile. See you in September.

James Rafferty said...

Sia,

You've had a tough stretch and deserve some time off. Enjoy the summer!

James z

~Sia McKye~ said...

Lee I hope you get some short breaks in there this summer to refresh the mind and body--not to mention refilling the creative well.

Karen oooo Europe! Tres cool. I hope you had a grand time!

Anne Great to see you! I hope you're refreshed and ready to rock.

It's not that the PT team was bad, perse, but they had a one size fits all mentality and somewhat sexist. Given the fact I've worked with animals, did construction growing up, and was a competition lifter in high school, very active in sports and field I'm NOT your typical female. I'm very strong and need to work back up to THAT level. To be honest I needed and active man's regimen in PT. Phase one and two (with a few minor changes in phase two for men) are basically the same regardless of gender because it's about regaining range of motion. But phase three is different and it's strength building. They refused to acknowledge that or work with it. Bless their pea brains, they work a lot with the geriatric crowd recovering from heart attacks and strokes. I'm NOT a weak and shaky 70 year old who can barely walk. I'm an active person. Let's just say when I compared therapy plans for men and women there were a lot of differences and at the end of the day, I was merely a $ sign. It was much too far to go to a sport medicine group which are much more progressive.

ooo, time at the beach sounds wonderful. I'm glad you're going!

~Sia McKye~ said...

James, my friend, you're so right and I will enjoy the time off. I'll keep 'Bats posted. :-)Especially with my writing progress. :-)

ce8d632a-647c-11e3-94d3-000bcdcb2996 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
~Sia McKye~ said...

Sorry for the spam comment folks. Got through the filters.

I remove all spam comments.

Slamdunk said...

Glad your shoulder is improving and that you have been able to do some reading. I bet that trail will be great when done.

Our summer is filled with kids activities and some trips. Back from a nice beach trip to NC and looking forward to another ocean visit to TX in AUG.