Friday, April 11, 2014

J is for Just a Number

Today is "J" day in the monthlong A-Z Challenge. Our guest today is author Janie Mason talking about why, when it comes to love, age is Just a number.



Thanks Kat for the invitation. I’m thrilled to be visiting.

Almost everyone’s heard the saying, Love Is Ageless, right? Perhaps whoever brought it into everyday use was referring more to an epoch or era, but I believe it also applies to couples. And I’ll say up front, I’m talking about the emotion of love. There have been stories on the internet about elderly couples so devoted that they pass away within days of each other. And every Sunday in my local newspaper there are photos of couples celebrating milestone wedding anniversaries. Fifty, sixty, even seventy years of loving one another.

I’ve heard it said numerous times that women who read romance often put themselves in the place of the story’s heroine. I’ve done it. And yes, I’d rather imagine myself a twenty-three year old who wears a size four. (After all it’s fiction) But I’m not ashamed to say that I’m into my fifth decade and yet my husband and I are just as much in love as we were in our twenties. Correct that; more so.

My latest release, Worth the Wait, features a middle-aged hero and heroine (not the most flattering descriptor, I admit). Looking back, I didn’t intentionally set out to write about a couple closer to my own age. The hero simply appeared on the page organically, as a secondary character in Redhead Blitz. But the deeper I went into that story, the more I knew his relationship with the love of his life would encompass the last story in The Greenville Girls series.

And Sia, I hope you’re feeling better and stronger each day.
 
Let's chat: So, what do you think? Are you only interested in romance novels featuring twenty-somethings or are you open to reading romances about heroes and heroines who need two boxes of candles for their birthday cakes?

 
 
 
 
Janie enjoys her retro convertible Mustang and brand new motor scooter in Central Ohio, along with her very supportive husband, two college-aged kids, and a big loveable fuzzball of a dog named Bonnie.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
High-school athletic director Al Matthews is as alpha as they come. But when his administrative assistant, widow Annie Marcum, confesses that she's in love with him, then quits and disappears, he'll do anything to track her down and win back her heart. The books in The Greenville Girls series are:  Servicing Rafferty, Redhead Blitz ,and Worth the Wait. For more information’s about Janie, check out her web site at www.JanieMason.com
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The "J" book list:
 
Josiah's Treasure by Nancy Herriman: Inspirational (clean) romance set in 1882 San Francisco. I also loved her other book, also an inspy, The Irish Healer.
 
John D. MacDonald: prolific writer of pulp fiction. Though his novels are noir-ish in tone, his best known hero, Travis McGee, is too much of a solid good guy to be an actual noir hero. Still, his novels are addictive.
 
Jayne Castle: Futuristic romances set in a near-Earth look alike, with sci-fi/paranormal elements. Also writes as Jayne Ann Krentz (contemporary romance) and Amanda Quick (historical romance).
 
Jennifer Ashley: The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie. Historical romance. Gotta love a hero who's spent time in an insane asylum.
 
 
Image courtesy of Boians Cho Joo Young / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

31 comments:

Cathrina Constantine said...

Wow, lots of J authors and great sounding books. I like that Worth the Wait is with a middle age couple. We all need love no matter what age we attain...

Kat Sheridan said...

Good morning, Janie, and welcome to Over Coffee! I think one of the things I found most appealing about this book is that it wasn't about some skinny young thing just out of college. I was in my 30s and Hubs in his 40s when we married. I like the idea of a romance that reflects ME.

Kat Sheridan said...

Hi, Cathrina! Nice to see you here! One of the things I'm liking about this A-Z challenge is the opportunity to mention books and authors I enjoy, and hope that someone finds something new and interesting to read!

Janie Mason said...

Good Morning Kat and Sia!
I enjoy reading a good romance, no matter the ages of the H&H. Love isn't about six packs, flat bellies and a lack of crow's feet. I think we'll here from a lot of romance readers who feel the same.
Now I'm off to the day job but will be checking back in this afternoon to say Hi to all your friends!

Marcia James said...

Great blog post, Janie! I agree that age doesn't change the way we love each other. I enjoyed Red-Headed Blitz and look forward to reading Worth the Wait! Great cover!

oberonwonch.com said...

Hi, Janie! Fun post. Though I'll always have a soft spot for the innocent young heroine experiencing love for the first time, I am totally interested in reading more romances that feature women "of a certain age" and their magnificent heroes. After all, I'm such a woman myself, with my own magnificent hero. :-)

cleemckenzie said...

It's wonderful when young love grows into something bigger and better over time. Great list of J books!

Caroline said...

Love the cover & your blurb sounds fantastically interesting!

Janie Mason said...

Thanks for stopping by Marcia. I suffer from lake house envy so I love the cover too.
And Oberon, like you I'm blessed to have my own romance hero/research assistant ;)

Janie Mason said...

Thanks for the kudos Caroline. Help yourself to a cyber pastry to go with your coffee.

Janie Mason said...

Clee, that's what's happened to me. David and I have been married almost 29 years. Time flies when you're in love.

Janie Mason said...

You're right Cathrina. No one should have to live without love.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm not a romance reader, but it does come at any age and can last through any age.
And I love my wife more than I did when we were married.

Jo said...

Romance is not restricted to age. I have heard of couples in retirement homes making a commitment to one another. Love stories are not restricted by age and if it's a good enough story it will be a good read.

Jo said...

Then I forgot to send my best to Sia. Hope you are going along good, girl.

Janie Mason said...

You're very blessed Alex. Thanks for stopping by.

Janie Mason said...

Jo, you're so right. Finding love in your golden years would make them even more precious.
Thanks for stopping by.

Chrys Fey said...

To be married to someone for many years and still be as in love as you were in the beginning is an amazing thing. I hope to one day have that.

I enjoy reading all kinds of romances with all kinds of characters. Worth the Wait sounds delightful. :)

Herding Cats - Burning Soup said...

I LOVE older heroes and heroines. I'm early 30s and honestly get a little tired of the early to mid 20 something characters. Nothing wrong with them but just so little variety. I'm always thrilled when the characters are mid 30s-50s.

And I hear that a LOT from doing the blog. Lots of our followers say the same thing. They love characters that are older. Closer to their ages. More experienced in life.

It's so hard to come by them but man when you do they're a nice treat. Wish more authors would go that route now and again.

Happy A to Z-ing!
~Anna
herding cats & burning soup.

~Sia McKye~ said...

JANIE--Thank you, I'm...recuperating and yes, getting better each day. Still a rough road, tho. :-) Thank God for the wonderful Kat Sheridan who has picked up the slack for me and is doing a fabulous job! I've enjoyed reading everything

I don't think romance is limited to any age and I do like reading stories with older characters. I've read some stories with secondary plots of an older couple in their 50's or 60's and thought, what a fun storyline. Wish it could have been a main plot.

Good for you for writing a story with an older couple!

Kat Sheridan said...

Janie, if I'm not mistaken, wasn't your cover artist your daughter? It really is a beautiful cover!

Janie Mason said...

Chrys, I hope that for you too. It's wonderful!

Janie Mason said...

Thanks, Anna, for stopping by with your encouraging words!

Janie Mason said...

Hi Sia! I agree, Kat is wonderful.
You're right, older couples (if featured at all) are usually secondary characters. Why not put them in the spotlight?

Janie Mason said...

Yes, my daughter and I collaborated on this cover. We make a good team!

Michael Di Gesu said...

HI, Sia, HI, Janie,

I hope you'll be your 'roaring' self soon, Sia!

Janie,

i agree, age is a number. I am around your age and I have just as much energy now as I did in my twenties. And funny, but today's youth seems to be lacking it.

They are often tired and out of shape. Electronics plays a big part of it. They spend too much time texting, working on computers, and playing video games. Sitting for hours at a time.

All the best with your novel. I think it's SO refreshing to feature a middle aged couple as the hero and heroin!

~Sia McKye~ said...

JO--Thanks for asking. Over extended myself a bit the last couple of days and I'm paying the price.

MICHAEL--Thank you for the cheering on. I don't let many things keep me down long, but I do need to pace myself. still got a long way to go.

But, I do agree, many in the 40's and 50's have considerably more energy than so many of the 20 generation. :-) I also like good stories with older couples. C'mon, we still have adventures, if we're so inclined, after 40 and some much better than when we were know-it-all 20 something. lol!

JANIE--this isn't the first cover your daughter helped you with, is it? I seem to recall one of your earlier books she also helped design. I think we featured it here, Over Coffee.

Very creative mother/daughter endeavor!

Janie Mason said...

Hi Michael! You're very fortunate to be as energetic as you were in your twenties. I can't claim that.
But I do agree that "screens" have their cons. Being sedentary is very dangerous, which is why I have to get out of this chair soon and head out to exercise class.
Thanks for sharing today!

Janie Mason said...

Yes, Sia, Rachel and I have worked on three covers for things I have published. She also has the cover ready to go for my wip, but the book's not finished yet. Stay tuned, it's another beauty!

Stephanie Faris said...

I've actually thought a lot about this topic because I used to write romance and now I write for tweens. I have no problem putting myself in the head of a 12-year-old, but a 25-year-old? I'm not very good at that. I had no problem writing that when I was in my 20s, though! I do remember the first time an editor told me my heroine was too old to be in a romance--and she was 32. I think I was 30 or 31 at that time.

Janie Mason said...

Hopefully that editor is now regretting her words.
Thanks Stephanie!