Monday, May 13, 2013

MONDAY MUSINGS: IT WAS A GOOD DAY




Hope all of you had a wonderful weekend and all you mama's had a great day. My Mother's Day was lovely. My husband served me coffee, tulips, breakfast, and a gift that was wrapped in gorgeous blue and silver. The wrapping was eye-catching almost as pretty as the gift. I was spoiled. I loved it.

Lots of mushy texts from my brothers and a few from my sisters and nieces. Spent some time with my son after he got off work and a couple of hours with my girl, Deanna and her two girls. If you've never had a manicure by a 5 year old, you're missing a treat. I did manage to avoid a total make-over, lolol! Barely.  

My mom and I giggled and laughed and that's always fun. 


My next  rose--Cherry Parfait
I had a lovely conversation about roses and lots of laughter with a good friend from Washington.  She had some great suggestion to add to my Rose garden. I love roses that smell like roses and love multicolored roses that don't take a lot of fussy care. 


Barbara Bush rose will look good too!
We also talked death and destruction of Japanese Beetles--I hate their little iridescent, rose munching selves. Death to them all, I say. I learned all about Milky Spore and where to buy it and best of all, it won't hurt the good insects like bees. Muwahaha! Take that you nasty beetle larva!

My husband and I battled lots of baby trees growing where they didn't belong and did lots of trimming of the wild and woolly flowering shrubs and hedges and we got lots of sunshine. We still haven't totally reclaimed the garden beds but we're getting close. It was a good day.

Now, I'm dragging my sorry self off to read a good book and perchance sleep. :-)

Hope you all have a great week!

 

18 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sia .. sounds like a wonderful Mother's Day day .. much love from all around with masses of laughter for good measure. Then a good work out .. and then bed with a book - perfect!

Lovely to read about .. cheers Hilary

Lynda R Young said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Mothers Day. You husband sounds awesome too :)

Melanie Schulz said...

Mother's day is almost better than birthdays, isn't it? Glad to hear you had a good one. I'm also glad to hear you're going with the milky spore over the beetle bags. I followed some bad advice once and purchased those bags, and it worked great; for my neighbors. Every beetle in the neighborhood was in my yard.

Jo said...

Lovely tulips, lovely roses. Sounds like a romantic start to the day. Glad you had a good one.

JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

L. Diane Wolfe said...

It sounds like you had a great time with family and were spoiled in the process. We spent it with my in-laws and took my mother-in-law on a riverboat cruise.

Karen Walker said...

Sounds like an ideal Mother's Day, Sia. So glad for you. My hubby made me breakfast and took care of me while I nursed a cold.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you had such a wonderful day. And darn those beetles.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Hilary, the book was perfect but my eyes just didn't stay the course. It was lights out, lol!

Lynda, my husband can be awesome. Of course he had a battle with one of our sprayers. Hubs lost.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Ugh, Melanie. I hadn't heard about beetle bags--glad I didn't. I have been at war with these damn things for the past two years and while I've kept them under control I hate what they do to my roses in July. I'm hoping this milky spore will do the trick and now is the time to apply it because they're larva. I'll let you know how it goes. :-)

~Sia McKye~ said...

Jo--I loved the tulips and I do love roses--mostly outside although I do pick a bouquet now and then.

Oh, man! That sounds wonderful Diane. I bet you all had a great time.

Karen, I hate colds and allergies. Glad your husband did some much needed babying of you! You're worth it!

Alex, I hate those beetles. I will admit they are pretty and shiny but I prefer them elsewhere than on everything that is flowering. sigh.

And it really was a good day.

Johanna Garth said...

So glad you had a great day.

Mine was full of flowers, family and good food. What more could I ask for? :)

~Sia McKye~ said...

Yep, it sounds like a wonderful day, Johanna! No, you can't ask for a better one. :-)

Mark Means said...

Sounds like a great Mother's Day for you...totally awesome :)

Thanks for dropping by and commenting on my lil ole' blog...I appreciate it :)

Manzanita said...

Thanks for stopping by. It's a pleasure to meet you.
Your Mothers Day sounds divine. Like the queen Mother. Beautiful picture of your tulips. I love the old fashion roses too as they are the ones that have the fragrance. Beetles and bugs and little growing things make an important discussion for the gardeners.
Cheers

~Sia McKye~ said...

Mark, it was my pleasure. I've visited before but not in a long time. Must rectify that.

Manzinita, I think I'd prefer to talk about the beauty of my flowers rather than nasty munching bugs, lol! Enjoyed your post today.

Kittie Howard said...

What a lovely day you had! Years ago, I had a neighbor who was president of their self-formed 'Rose Society.' For their major event, they'd hire a professional judge to come in to award ribbons among the single roses in vases members had brought in. I learned a lot of Eunice, including using Elmer's old-fashioned white glue to seal stems on bushes. The glue has something in it rose-loving bugs hate but which doesn't hurt the plant.

Yes, Charmaine gave a great answer about how to label one's book. But the deeper answer I was looking for I eventually found on Amazon. (Had to dig as they've got so many pages.) I'm going to blog about that a bit later.

Al said...

sounds like a wonderful day

Cherie Reich said...

Such beautiful rose pictures! I'm glad you had a nice Mother's Day!