Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I SEE...SPRING!





Poor brave daffodils tried hard to bloom, it was their time to shine,
But winter’s fingers were still present all cold and icy and blind.
 
Valiant tulips and lilies shot forth spreading their leaves a furl Still winter's breath blew crystals of lace and sharp edged pearls...


The Good Lord knows spring has taken it’s own sweet time getting here, hasn't it? Two weeks ago we had snow. Spring was on hold. The profuse blooming of the daffodils was a nonevent this year. They didn't like the snow a’tall.

This week’s warm south winds have brought in warmth and soft misty rains with days of sunshine. I now have tiny baby leaves on my Golden rain tree. My tulips, which are usually well in bloom by now, spread out their greenery but not a bloom was in sight. I looked at them Sunday and sure enough, there are the buds nestled low in the leaves but they’re on their way. The Day lilies have lost the sickly yellow-green and are now standing six vibrant inches and growing strong side by side with the Iris.

Last Wednesday, not a flowering tree was to be found in the surrounding woods. Saturday the first of the Forsythias started to open and the wild plums have gone, well, wild with overnight blooms. The Dogwoods and Redbud are filled with buds and will be in full bloom by the weekend. 

My Swallows returned this week and is busy repairing the winter wear and tear on their nest. The last flocks of geese were moving overhead to their summer homes this past weekend. The small herd of does is here and in what I call the nursery. The matriarch has her babies here
every spring. Looks like her daughters are about to do the same.  She has had twins the past few years and before you know it I’ll be seeing the fawns running and playing across the road near the pond. They’re so fun to watch.

Everywhere I look I see spring and my heart rejoices as I breathe in the rich warm fragrances of the earth’s awakening.

It’s been a long time coming.


Nothing is so beautiful as Spring –