Monday, February 18, 2013

MONDAY MUSINGS: RENEWAL




Family is different things to different people. Some are close to their families and others not. For me, my family is my primal pool of being and identity. It’s a base from which I learned the rules, decided where my boundaries were, and grew the courage to face not only myself, but to define and tackled the mountains of the world.

My family, good, bad, and ugly (and we can be parts of all three), gave me my first friends and playmates. They were my high adventure buddies and the ones I shared hopes and dreams with, held talkfests where we solved the world’s problems—or at least our problems in our small corner.

None of us have remained static because life isn't  It’s an ever-changing process of growth and change. Still, when we get together, the love and security remains bedrock. I can just be me without artifice. I love the freedom of that.

I haven’t been able to visit my family as much as I would like, for various reasons, this winter. It’s not that I’m a huge distance away—my family all live about fifty miles from me. Still, I've missed the warmth and laughter. And yes, the gossip. J

There’s something special about going home and visiting my mom. Sitting in the kitchen during the ritual of making the coffee and setting up the tray with my favorite cookies (my mom feeds everything cookies from critters, kids, and adults) or snacks. We talk about everything under the sun. As we settle into comfortable chairs in the living room I love the feeling of dropping my role of wife and mother and pull on the comfortable role of just being a daughter. We talk about books and since my mother is a woman of strong faith, we easily slide into discussions on biblical passages, culture, history we've read. There is an easy flow of conversation. We don’t miss out on sharing tidbits of family, kids, our animals, and our mates.

Afterward, I headed over to visit with my sister and we sat around telling jokes and sharing fun and goofiness. It was a long day but so much fun and very relaxing. Between the two visits, I left refreshed and relaxed. I enjoyed the state of being sister and daughter and putting everything else out of my mind. I was now ready to pick up the mantle of wife, mother, and job for another week.

  • So, how was your weekend. What do you do to relax and renew yourself to face day to day life? 

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You need to spend more time visiting then! My family all lives far away, so I don't see them often.

nutschell said...

Family is everything. I try to visit my mom and aunts every week when I can.
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Laura Marcella said...

Hello, Sia! I wanted to visit and say, "Nice to meet you!" to a fellow Spunky Soldier. :)

It sounds like you had a lovely weekend! I have an older sister and two older brothers and we were really close as kids. As we grew up, only my sister of the three is my confidante now, but all four of us still have a fun, hilarious time together. There's nothing quite like family, with all the good, the bad, and the ugly!

See you around the blogosphere, especially during A to Z!

Jo said...

Hi Sia. Funny you should write this post today as it is "Family Day" here. Matt and I have only distant family connections in Canada, my family is somewhat scattered, not that I have any really close relatives any more. Matt has kids and grandkids in England with whom we are in touch but haven't seen in a number of years.

From one Spunky Soldier to another.

JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I tried to relax but it didn't work out so well.

Good to know someone enjoys her family. I live 3000 miles from my side of the family for a reason.

Mason Canyon said...

What a wonderful way to relax. I can see where you would be recharged and relax after your visits. I'm afraid what little is left of my family is not (and never was) that close. Hope things are where you can visit soon.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Scarlett said...

Sia, It's always fun entering into your little corner here! I feel like I could just curl my feet up in a chair with a tasty cup and you'd offer me a warm smile and brilliant conversation.

I've been taking some time for me these past few months, but have missed this community. Family is at the forefront of that decision. So happy to hear you have yours close by. Those connections can be so comforting!

My beautiful family is spread out, but we all keep in daily contact through email. I'm thankful every day for the time we have with our kids still at home. Change happens. But these strings won't be easily cut!