Wednesday, August 3, 2011

THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP—Lydia Dare



My guests today are Tammy Falkner and Jodie Pearson and known as Lydia Dare. As a team they write historical paranormal romance. I had the chance to read the latest book for review and it was actually the first of their books I had read. I loved their story. Part of what drew me, aside from a well put together story and sexy hero, was the strong ties between the heroine, Rhiannon, and her sister witches—none of which are actually related. I personally have friends that feel more like family than unrelated friends and so I could relate to this story. It is an engaging page turner. 


You can read my review here.


There are two of us who make up the writing team of Lydia Dare. And we’ve had the pleasure of writing some truly wonderful heroes over the last couple of years. Gentlemen we’ve fallen in love with right alongside our readers. Sometimes we even make ourselves swoon – over different heroes, of course. We agree on very little in real life and our choice in men is no different. 

We’ve spent the best time with the wolfish Brothers Westfield, a tragic lone werewolf, and a trio of vampyres who are more chivalrous than their human counterparts. And while we love each of these gentlemen from their wolfish tails to their vampyric charm – there is something magical about the women who have captured their hearts. And not just because they’re witches. But because of who they are.

Eleanor Roosevelt once said, “Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart.”

When we first created the Còig, an ancient coven of Scottish witches whose powers and membership pass from mother to oldest daughter, we knew we were creating more than just five friends. We were creating “sisters” in a sense who were devoted to and would do anything for each other. In a lot of ways, these lasses are closer to each other than they are some members of their own families.

We've written a lot about the members of this revered coven:

Elspeth – the healer (Tall, Dark & Wolfish)
Caitrin – the seer  (The Taming of the Wolf)
Blaire – the warrior (It Happened One Bite)
Rhiannon – the controller of weather (In the Heat of the Bite)
Sorcha – the plant manipulator (Never Been Bit, to be released September 6th)

These five ladies were first introduced in our 2nd book, and since then they’ve dealt with werewolves, vampypres and each other. But through all their ups and downs, their loyalty and bond has held them together and made them stronger than ever.

Our witches are far from perfect. Some are hardheaded. Some are a little spoiled. Some have tempers. We could go on and one. But despite each lass’ flaws, her coven sisters love her like nothing else.

We've both been lucky enough to have had some very good friends over the years, friends we would do anything for and vice versa. And it is those ladies and those friendships that inspired us to create the Còig in the first place.

  • We’d love to hear all about your best friends, the friends who've stood by you through thick and thin, who've been there when others weren’t, and who you love like they were your own family.


In honor of our Scottish witches, we are giving away a set of the first four books that features the coven  - TALL, DARK and WOLFISH; THE TAMING OF THE WOLF; IT HAPPENED ONE BITE; and IN THE HEAT OF THE BITE to (2) lucky US or Canadian commenters who tell us what makes their best friend so special.

In The Heat Of The Bite

Chivalry is far from undead...

Matthew Halkett, Earl of Blodswell, is one of the few men in the ton who can claim to be a knight in shining armor- because that's precisely what he was before being turned into a vampyre. When he spies a damsel in distress in the midst of a storm in Hyde Park, his natural instinct is to rush to her aid...

But not every woman needs to be rescued...

Weather-controlling witch Rhiannon Sinclair isn't caught in a storm-she's the cause of it. She's mortified to have been caught making trouble by the imposing earl, but she doesn't need any man-never has, and is sure she never will...

But when Rhiannon encounters Matthew again, her powers go awry and his supernatural abilities run amok. Between the two of them, the ton is thrown into an uproar. There's never been a more tempestuous scandal... Excerpt on Amazon
BUY: Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Powells, Indibound

As Lydia Dare, like most of us, work outside the home, they will be stopping by as they can today.



Lydia Dare is the writing team of Tammy Falkner and Jodie Pearson. Both Tammy and Jodie are active members of the Heart of Carolina Romance Writers and live near Raleigh, North Carolina. They are working together on their next paranormal historical trilogy as Lydia Dare, which will be released by Sourcebooks Casablanca in Spring 2011! For more information, please visit http://www.lydiadare.com/.








29 comments:

~Sia McKye~ said...

Welcome back to Over Coffee. I'm really looking forward to Sorcha and Alec's story.

Lydia Dare said...

Sia ~ Thanks for the welcome! We were just as excited to finally write Sorcha and Alec's story. They've both been with us since the 2nd book and so much has happened to them since then. We hope you'll enjoy it as much as we enjoyed writing it. :)

Seduced By Books said...

oh yea - i can't wait for sorcha and alec either - love these books, from the moment i open i can't put it down - my best friend - well it's my blog cohort Amy - she's a no nonsense kinda girl and she keeps me grounded when drama starts to unfold - and she's not afraid to stand next to me - please she got me back into reading :)
-Jenn

Aimee Laine said...

I've had quite a number of BFFs over the years ... each one playing an important role in my life. My number 1 though is my hubby who's been my absolute BFF since I was 14. Yep. :) So he doesn't count because he's also my romance novel hero. Therefore, I now turn to a BFF who's across the big Atlantic pond and whom I only ever get to connect with via Instant Message and Skype but I swear to you ... distance doesn't matter in a relationship that has 'connections'. :)

Missy V said...

My BFF and I have been friends almost 30 years and there's not much we didn't do that kept us out of trouble. We got caught skipping school one year back in 7th grade so we weren't supposed to be hanging with each other over the summer but we did and got caught. Her parents labeled us Double Trouble cos when we were together we were twice the trouble. As adults we got pregnant around the same time with our second kids and had fun comparing our stomachs. Even now we still finish each others sentences. I would not trade that type of friendship for anything in the world. I am truly blessed to have her in my life.

crystalgb said...

My best friend is my cousin. I know I can always count on her to be there for me. She shares my love of books and we can talk for hours about them. She has a great sense of humor and a kind heart.
Tahnk you for the great giveaway
Crystal816[at]hotmail[dot]com

Jo said...

I have a number of cyber BFFs but like Aimee my hubby is my BFF and has been for 38 years. I love my cyber friends very much - I have been luck enough to meet some of them f2f and hope to meet others one day, that includes you Sia.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Jo, that would be nice Jo, thank you.

The Jodie 1/2 of Lydia Dare said...

Jenn ~ That's awesome! Everyone needs a friend (or a cohort) to stand next to them when drama happens. :) I hope you'll love Alec & Sorcha's book. We just adore this pair and finally getting to give them a HEA was very satisfying.

Aimee ~ My oldest and dearest friend lives on the other side of the country. We can sometimes go a long time without talking, but whenever we do catch up, it's as though no time has passed at all. We are trying to be better about skyping, but our schedules just never mesh.

Missy ~ That is a GREAT story! (I never really got in trouble growing up. But now I think it might have been lots of fun.)

Crystal ~ I love that your best friend is your cousin. I never lived anywhere near any of my cousins and I so wish I had!

Jo ~ 38 years is awesome!! I am with you on loving some cyber friends too. We have an amazing critique group - with members spanning all across the country (and even Australia). I'm not quite sure how it happened, and by now we've been with each other for soooo long, but those ladies are some of my dearest friends. And I talk to them more than I do some members of my family.

~ Jodie

Erin Knightley said...

Like some of the others, my husband is and has been since high school my best friend :) Behind him is my sister, though it wasn't until our twenties that we became close. I'm blessed to have made many truly wonderful friends through various writing groups, as well :)

Great blog - can't wait to sink my teeth into The Heat of the Bite!

Jess Kessler said...

My best friend is truly a gem. Char and I have gotten through so many events. The good, the bad. We spent almost every day of high school together. These last couple of years of college have been hard, she stayed close to home and I move 5 hrs away. We have both found other great friends, but I know that she will always be available to me to talk. She resonates a calm in me and I owe her so much for everything. There will never be a replacement for her. No matter where our lives may take us.

Laurie said...

My best friend and I have opposite opinions on almost everything -- and we've been best friends for almost 40 years now.

We've lived far apart most of our adult lives, but we have frequent multi-hour phone conversations about everything from dinner recipes to romance novels to Russian politics and Chinese economic growth.

Years ago, she kind of snarkily said, "You'd wait for me in the rain, wouldn't you?" and I said, "Well, sure." She snickered and said, "Wow, I wouldn't wait for anyone in the rain."

But a few years ago, not long after her mother died, she said out of the clear blue sky, "You know, I'd wait for you in the rain, too."

:)

Thanks for another great post, Sia.

~Sia McKye~ said...

While I have a close relationship to most of my siblings, I do have a few friends that are as close to me as blood relatives.

These few women are the one I can be myself with. That alone is valuable. They can and do kick my butt when it's needed, offer a shoulder or an ear, cheer me on.

I look at friends as the jewels of life.

Juturna Faerthing said...

I'm a firm believer in standing by my friends. While I'm very close to many of them, two I've adopted as sisters in all but blood. One moved into my neighborhood when I was in second grade, and we've stayed friends ever since. She knows all my blackmail, and is therefore always welcome into my home... We've been together through the good and the bad, from haircuts to classes to men. My other best friend, I met in high school whilst walking home from school (just over a mile; not a bad walk, even with a bookbag.) Something in me just clicked, and I just knew I had to go talk to her - to this day, I adamantly believe in soulfriends like some people believe in soulmates, because we've been best friends since.

Suzie Grant said...

Lydia, I have to say that I've become pretty close to this tight knit group of authors who're my crit group. They've become some of the best friends I have and some of them have been there for me anytime I needed them. It's great. I don't think there is a closer community than the writing one to tell the truth. I'm lucky to know these authors and I'm even luckier to be able to call them friends.

I think Rhiannon is my favorite witch honestly and I can't wait for her book to come out! Looking forward to reading her story. Great blog!

Phyllis Campbell said...

I have the priviledge to critique these two very talented women in our historical crit group. I totally LOVE their stories!

~Phyllis~

Helen Ginger said...

I have 7 best friends. I've known them for years, but a few years ago we started calling ourselves the Irregulars, because we only seem able to get together on an irregular basis because everyone's so busy. Despite that, we are best friends and can count on any one of the group to immediately come to your side if you need them, or even in my case recently, drive over, bring food, and make lunch and sit and talk.

Olivia Kelly said...

I have been very lucky in the friend department. When I became a SAHM two years ago, I fell in with a group of mommies in my town, and they have become my bedrock, my standing ground. They are supportive and fun and we have weathered so much; job loss, job gain, the tragic loss of a husband. I count myself very, very lucky for finding these women. For all our peccadilloes, they are some of the best people I know, and I know I can count on them for anything. I may not have a huge group of friends, but I think it's quality not quantity that counts! :)

Aileen said...

I find it amusing you two don't agree on anything, yet your books turn out so wonderful! Real friendship lets you be yourself.

Ava Stone said...

A couple nights ago, my son asked me if I was in a car accident and could only make one phone call - who would I call. I told him, I'd call my BFF Becky.

He was a little put out about that and said, "I can't believe you wouldn't call dad."

My EX-HUSBAND? Bleck! Why would I call him? (Not that I could say that to my son.) So I simply said, "She's always been there for me and if I could only make one call it would be to her. If I could make more than one call, I'm sure I'd call your father," just to appease him. ;)

the Jodie 1/2 of Lydia Dare said...

Erin ~ That's great. I didn't start to appreciate my sister until we were in our 20s either. We're still very different from each other. But we understand and appreciate each other too.

Jess ~ That's so sweet.

Laurie ~ You actually made me tear up. :) How lucky you are to have your friend.

Juturna ~ I completely belive is soulfriends and for the very reason you mentioned. :)

Suzie & Phyllis ~ How sweet you both are. We are very lucky to have such a wonderful critique group, aren't we?

Helen ~ The Irregulars! I love it!! I may steal that and use it in my real life.

Olivia ~ Totally agree. Quality over quantity any day. There's a nother friendship quote I LOVE "Don't pity the girl with one true friend. Envy her. Pity the girl with just a thousand acquaintances."
---Katie Obenchain

Aileen ~ LOL. It's true though. We agree on very little.

Ava ~ Ha! That's funny. You don't really have to call him at all.

~Jodie

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The power of friendship! Admire those who can write a book together.

Louisa Cornell said...

Hello, ladies !! (Waves madly!)

I am amazed at your ability to write a series together. Fabulous!

My best friend is someone who has stuck by me through thick and thin. She is the sister Fate forgot to give me. I met her through writing, but our friendship has gone far beyond the writing realm. She knows everything there is to know about me - the good and the bad - and she loves me anyway. She is unfailingly honest with me - even when I don't want her to be!

Then again, I have been VERY fortunate in my writing friends! My online critique consists of some wonderful, talented women who make me laugh every day! (You KNOW who you are!)

Renee Wildes said...

Great interview - the book sounds amazing!

My best friend is the kind that will rescue me from a dead car at 2 AM, give me a shoulder to cry on and a good swift kick in the tush as needed! She's saved my sanity through middle school motherhood and the stress of an unemployed hubby!

~Sia McKye~ said...

You gotta keeper Renee! I have a couple like that ad I'm the same way with them.

Thanks for stopping by!

Willow Cross said...

I’m very lucky. I can honestly say my best friend has had that position my entire life. I first met her forty years ago when I was two years old. We went to school together from kindergarten through twelfth grade. Even though we now live 900 miles apart, she is always there for me. We’ve shared calamity and joy and are closer in spirit than most family members. She always tells me the truth. (Whether I’m ready for it or not.) If there is anything humanly possible that can be done to alleviate a trying situation, we will do it for each other. She is the person I call when I’m confused and don’t know what to do. She’s also the person I call when I have something happy to share. We’ve frequently joked that neither of us wants to be the one who dies first. Neither of us would be quite whole without the other. I’m fairly positive that my best friend is the BEST friend anyone could have.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Willow, what a great friend to have. I was touched by the comment Neither of us would be quite whole without the other.

Sheila Deeth said...

I'd seen these in Borders (alas poor Borders). Think I might go see if there are any left; they sound great!

The Book Diva said...

I love your books! The first book I read was The Taming of the Wolf and I was hooked so I had to go get the others! I'm now on It Happened One Bite. Thank you for Lydia Dare and sharing your stories with us!

Okay so I know this may be cheesy to some, but I married my best friend. Since I have known him he has always been the one there for me. He always has a listening ear and would do anything for me. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about how much he means to me(must be that time of month) ;) I know that I can count on him! I have tried to think of a girl-friend that does the same and I just can't, so he tops the list!
Thanks for the giveaway!