Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Blog Awards and Appreciation

This past Monday I was awarded a lovely blog award by blogger extraordinaire, Helen Ginger--Straight From Hel. It means a lot to me because she has taught me many things since I started my blog sixteen months ago. What I really appreciate is her availability when I had questions. From her I learned about Twitter and sharing buttons and whatnot. She also has some very informative posts on all manner of subjects.  If you haven't checked out her blog you should.

Another blogger who has taught me much and when she doesn't know the answer she's knows who to put me in touch with, is Houston A.W. Knight, aka Hawk. Thanks to her and the wonderful Lea, my blog expanded to a 3 column template and Lea helped me coordinate colors and HTML--I knew nothing about them when I started.  Hawk, like Helen, is approachable, both are writers, both knowledgeable about writing, the publishing market, and both have been very supportive. They're very cool ladies with some solid blogs.

I read many blogs and have a nice circle of cyber blog friends as a result. Those I enjoy I list on my own blog with links. It's a way of giving praise to their blogs regardless of how often they post. When I see a good article posted on one of the many blogs I follow, I try to tweet them, or put them on my facebook wall. This way others will see them too. It's a way of showing appreciation and paying back or paying forward, depending upon how you look at it, to some wonderful bloggers.

To have someone like Helen, who watched me start and build my blog, give me this award is an honor. It may seem silly to some, but having experienced bloggers give commendation is special. For one, we know the effort needed to consistently publish a blog. This one is called the Meat and Potatoes Award. It tells you that the blog content is more than fluff but offers some solid information. Helen passed this award to five bloggers and I in turn am to do the same.

 "This prestigious award goes to a particular group of wise and experienced bloggers who have proven themselves over the course of time, trials, and tribulations.
If you're looking to follow someone’s guidance for writing, publishing, promotion, and thought provoking articles, then I suggest you look at this group:
If you get the chance, stop by and say Congratulations. I'm sure they'd appreciate it.

Coming up on OVER COFFEE in June: Christie Craig and Faye Huges, Kate Douglas, Kathryne Kennedy, Marie Force and several others.

Regarding interviews, what authors would you like to see interviewed and why?
  

25 comments:

~Sia McKye~ said...

Congratulations to the five award winners!

tonya kappes said...

Congratulations! I love your blog. I think you appeal to writers and readers! You've done a great job in the past 16 months, plus you do it almost everyday....wow!

Mason Canyon said...

Congratulations on your award and I am truly honored that you included me when passing the award on. I would have never guessed you've only been blogging for 16 months. Wow, you do an amazing job. Thanks again for including me.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Kat Sheridan said...

Congrats to all the bloggers, and Sia, echoing the others when I say you have a wonderful blog, and do a great job promoting authors!

judifennell said...

Has it REALLY been 16 months? Or should I say ONLY?

Congrats, Sia, on the award. You've done a GREAT job with the blog - and congrats to the people you awarded it to!!

VA said...

As a frequent reader of this blog, I can say without hesitation that I get a lot out of perusing your articles and interviews, Sia.

I have purchased several books after being introduced to new authors, new to me - not just new. Enjoy the tone and the scope of the discussions, too.

Author recommendations, hmmm, well that's why I come here. *smile

But seriously, I wouldn't mind hearing about world building from Nalini Singh. Another topic is dialogue - can't say I have a suggestion on the writer, but I'd love to hear how they construct it.

Brain requires more java.

Nancy J. Parra said...

Congratulations to you, Sia,

I love your blog and agree with Helen that you deserve this award!

Thank you for awarding me the same. I am humbled to be in such good company. Now, I'm off to follow the other winners.

Cheers~

SIS Barb said...

Sia,

Oh my gosh. I just got all teary eyed. Thank you so much for acknowledging Sisters In Sync. I can't wait to tell all my SISters and our BRO!

Congratulations to you as well. Well deserved!

SIS Barb said...

Sia,

I forgot to answer your question. I'd love to see JR Ward and Heather Graham interviewed. They are 2 of my favorite authors and I'd love to hear them talk about character development.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Thank you all.

Tonya, not every day, yikes, that does take a lot of time to do and I admire those that can. I've been using Mondays as my personal blog day and while fun, you have to think of subjects, lolol!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Kat-I love promoting authors. There are so many good ones out there. It's fun and I LOVE learning something about them I didn't know. I like knowing pubbed authors are still struggling with things that I am. No one has all the answers and there are many ways to solve writing issues. Seeing how they solve those issues helps me too.

Thanks for the compliments on the blog. You've watched me build it from the beginning.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Hey SIS!

Your blog is a lot of fun to read. You've worked hard to bring a variety of subjects to the blog and it's a beautiful format. You all are supportive of not only each other, but other bloggers. It takes time and being writers yourselves that means taking time from writing and family time to not only put up the blog consistently, but support others.

Krys said...

Sia,

Congratulations, and thanks so much for the award! I wish I could take most (or even some) of the credit, but I can't :) If they hadn't been kind enough to ask me to join SIS I would have missed out on a very enjoyable experience. Keep up the great work!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Thanks Krys! I enjoy YOUR articles too.

Nose to the grindstone here. ;-)

Roxane B. Salonen said...

Sia, I'm always so happy to see you pop up in my inbox with a comment. And now, to receive this special award today, I really do feel honored! I will wear it proudly. Even though you've been blogging less than I have, you've come a long way in that short time. I've been at it a year longer than you but you've picked up more followers, so kudos to your great efforts. Isn't the three-column nice? I was so happy when I figured that out as well. It's just easier to read and offers for more options. Again, thanks for the kind words and for sharing my blog with others!

readwriteandedit said...

Sia, I love your blog. The time and enthusiasm that you put into it shows in both variety and the details you've added to the blog. Congrats on the recognition and thanks for introducing us to others you think we'll enjoy.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Awww, thank you Beth!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Roxane! Life has been getting in the way of time free to do more commenting but I love the variety of your blog.

Just copy the Meat & Potatoes pic, include it on your blog and a link to where it came from, then pick 5 bloggers you feel should be awarded with their links.

I loved your article on the mama duck and her babies. Good lesson for us not to give up!

Sisters-in-Sync said...

Hi Sia,

Congrats on your award! And thank you so very much for acknowledging Sisters in Sync! What an honor. Like SIS Barb, I got teary-eyed while reading your blog.

I always look forward to your comments on our blog. When I see your name, a smile pops onto my face!

Congrats again and THANKS!

SIS Bren

~Sia McKye~ said...

What a nice thing to say Bren! I love it when the Sis characters visit too.

SIS BJ said...

Hi Sia

Congrats to you on the award. Your site is great.

Thanks for the wonderful words about Sisters In Sync.

Beth Ciotta said...

Gee. It looks like the oldest SISter is the last to chime in here. Congrats on the awesome award, Sia. You so richly deserve the recognition and applause! Your blog is FABulous. I'm a big time lurker but so enjoy the varitey of guests and posts... including your own!

As for your kind mention of Sisters in Sync, I'm flattered and humbled. We love it when you visit and how wonderful to know that you find us entertaining. Thank you and a huge hug!

SIS Beth

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

Congratulations on your award! It's such a great feeling to be validated and appreciated, especially by someone that you yourself have learned so much from. It sounds like you've had an excellent experience blogging these last 16 months. I'm glad I found you. I just wonder what took me so long.

Sheila Deeth said...

What a lovely and well-deserved award!

Olivia Cunning said...

Congrats, Sia! You do such a great job with your blog. Your reward is much deserved.