Friday, November 20, 2009

Sins Of The Flesh--Writing the Take-Aways

I want to welcome back New York Bestselling Author, Caridad Piñeiro to Over Coffee. She writes paranormals, romantic suspense, and women’s fiction. I’ve spent some lovely hours immersed in the worlds she creates.

Caridad has an intriguing new novel out called Sins Of The Flesh and I loved the premise when I saw it. I was fascinated by the idea of genetic engineering when Bionic Woman was popular, many years ago. As a kid, I remembered thinking, wow, wouldn’t that be cool if enhancements were possible?

Unlike poor Jamie Sommers, in Caridad’s books, her heroines get to have a happy-ever-after.


Thanks for having me at Over Coffee again! It’s always a pleasure dropping by to chat with you over my morning cup of java (I so need it to get going!).

I’ve been on a major blog tour and one of the things that I’ve been thinking about is “What do readers expect out of a book?” My editors would call it “the take-away” and when it comes to a romance, the “take-away” is usually the Happily-Ever-After.

Of course, being a paranormal suspense writer, that Happily-Ever-After can have lots of meanings, especially in a book like SINS OF THE FLESH.

SINS is about a woman, Caterina Shaw, who is genetically engineered against her will. When one of the scientists decides to blow the whistle on the illegal activities, he is savagely murdered. Caterina soon finds herself accused of the murder and on the run from both the police and the mercenary, Mick Carrera, who is sent to track her down.

For me there was a bunch of “take-aways” in this book. Caterina’s strength and optimism in the face of a grave illness, and a hard-assed mercenary for one. Mick’s underlying honor and incredible love of family for another. Vigorously mix those two take-aways and hopefully you found yourself rooting for these two to something overcome impossible odds to stay together. The Happily-Ever-After.

But there was another take-away that I was hoping would linger with readers, namely, the wonder of how much of the science part of the story was real and if it was, could it possibly already be happening? Well, there is a lot of reality behind the science, the most visible of which is Caterina’s glowing skin. Not fiction, but fact. You can actually buy fish engineered with these proteins online and in some stores. As for the camo skin and healing? Splicing together genes is happening all the time, creating foods that last longer or ripen faster. Even creating hybrids of different kinds of animals, so the possibilities are here and because of that, I’m going to leave you with a thought:

If you could mix up some genes to make the ultimate human/plant/animal, what would you mix-up and why?




Sins Of The Flesh Blurb:
  • Caterina Shaw’s days are numbered. Her only chance for survival is a highly experimental gene treatment – a risk she willingly takes. But now Caterina barely recognizes herself. She has new, terrifying powers, an exotic, arresting body — and she’s been accused of a savage murder, sending her on the run.
  • Mick Carrera is a mercenary and an expert at capturing elusive, clever prey. Yet the woman he’s hunting down is far from the vicious killer he’s been told to expect: Caterina is wounded, vulnerable, and a startling mystery of medical science. Even more, she’s a beautiful woman whose innocent sensuality tempts Mick to show her exactly how thrilling pleasure can be. The heat that builds between them is irresistible, but surrendering to it could kill them both . . . for a dangerous group is plotting its next move using Caterina as its deadly pawn.

Excerpt


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Caridad was born in Havana, Cuba, and settled in the New York Metropolitan area. She attended Villanova University on a Presidential Scholarship and graduated magna cum laude. Caridad earned her juris doctor from St. John’s University and became the first female partner of Abelman, Frayne & Schwab, an intellectual property firm in midtown Manhattan.

From the start, Caridad’s novels have received acclaim and have helped redefine the landscape of modern romance novels. In 1999, Caridad was published by Kensington as part of Encanto, the first line of bilingual Latino romance novels. In 2000, Caridad was one of the first Latino authors featured at the launch of BookExpo America’s Spanish Pavillion. In December 2006, Caridad helped Silhouette launch its successful Nocturne paranormal line with DEATH CALLS, one of the novels in the award-winning THE CALLING Vampire series. In addition, Caridad has appeared at BookExpo America on numerous occasions and has captained both the multicultural and vampire genre panels at the RT BookClub Conventions.
In 2009, Caridad will debut a new paranormal romantic suspense series with Grand Central Publishing. The first novel in the series,
SINS OF THE FLESH, will be released in November 2009.

When not writing, Caridad teaches workshops on various topics related to writing and heads a writing group. Caridad is also an attorney, wife and mother.


17 comments:

~Sia McKye~ said...

Caridad, I'm so glad you're back with us Over Coffee. I'm really looking forward to reading this series. Sounds fabulous!

Lot's of goodies on the coffee bar, including Airborne and Alka-seltzer plus, if anyone needs it. Lots of comfortable chair with throws, so make yourself comfortable and tell us all about it. :-)

Netti said...

*grasps blindly for the coffee*

Great timing Sia! It's literally Caridad's fault that I will be walking around with only one eye open today... (and will need MUCH more coffee). I stayed up later than normal last night specifically to finish this book. I. LOVE. THIS. BOOK! The story line was unusual, unlike anything I've ever read and I literally just couldn't put it down... I've always enjoyed Caridad's books but this one... WOAH; bloody brilliant. (oh! and TEE HEE about the teaser, that was who I was hoping the next story would be about!)

As for the genetic mix, I would totally love having the ability to see & move like a cat... to cool :D

*plops on the sofa in a sleep-depraved daze*

Elle J Rossi said...

Good Morning and Happy Friday to all! Sia, I'll take the chenille throw and comfy chair closest to the breakfast bar!

Caridad,
Your book sounds so intriguing! I can't wait to get my copy. Great question as well and one that I had to really think about. I think I'll go with the human/animal angle.I'm picking a mix between human and cheetah for pure grace and speed.

~~Elle

Caridad Pineiro said...

Ooh, I like the feline bent we have this morning. My cat will curl up next to me while I write and I think - What a life! Eat, sleep and get cuddled. Well and one other thing, but I'm with you. Some cat genes to be so graceful and speedy would be delightful.

Judi Fennell said...

*waving hi!

as for splicing plant/animal/human genes - I'm keeping my own. Genetic engineering has all sorts of wonderful possibilities but a lot of Dr. Moreau ones as well.

~Sia McKye~ said...

G'morning all. Some people have a small glass of juice in the morning, today, I'm having a small glass of Alka-seltzer Plus, lemon flavor.

Cats are tres cool. I'd like the ability to see like one, without losing my human abilities of seeing the full range of colors. I always liked the ability of The Bionic Woman with running and jumping--kinda cat like--and her hearing.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Netti, I wondered if you had read it yet. I knew you'd love the premise.

So now you can recommend it to the readers that come into The Book Exchange. I'm really sorry I wansn't able to see your store when I was there in September. Next Time, k?

VA said...

Oh Hell! Candice you have no idea how many creation I have conceived of to create, and yes, I would. The whole science and ethics issue is kinda of a gray area for me. Therefore, in my selfless act I have forgone a career in genetic engineering.

Unicorn, I still want to create on. Crossbreeding a Lipizzaner stallion with narwhal to form the most perfect and beautiful unicorn ever. Not one of those crummy, pathetic, single-horned goat creatures that you see photos of some time. But a REAL unicorn.

I have other ideas, too.

VA said...

Btw sorry Caridad, not Candice. This is why I should have coffee before typing. My sincerest apologies. Egads!

VA said...

Back from the excerpt, do you play a musical instrument Caridad? You speak with familiarity about various ones. Having a daughter that plays the oboe (clarinet and english horn) I cringed at that particular description, yes, the early days...Thank goodness they're over.

aries18 said...

This book sounds fantastic! It's at the top of my list... of course I keep adding books to the top..;o)

I'd add the ability to see like a cat or an eagle.

Netti said...

I did read and love it, you know me so well *G* and I've beat ya to it, have been blathering on to tons of the customers here about her, to the poin where I'll be actually pulling in an order because we can't find her books here anywhere...

Next time for sure Sia! Can't wait :D

Caridad Pineiro said...

I used to play the bassoon which is a double-reed woodwind, much like the oboe. It's in the same range as a cello, but sounds more like a foghorn. Think the Sorceror's Apprentice Music. That's the one piece where the bassoon has the main tune that you might recognize.

Eagle is a good one only I'm afraid of heights! Can you see me clinging to the edge of the nest?

~Sia McKye~ said...

Netti, I think I'm going to have to interview you here and then have a section on Netti's picks, lol!

Caridad, I've only played classical guitar and was forced to play the Tuba (one season) because it was the only instrument left. I'll stick with the guitar. :-)

~Sia McKye~ said...

Everyone seems to be glued to the Harlequin Horizon loops. Not that I don't understand why, but just sayin'

Caridad, storyline, with Caterina, was that what you visioned if you could mix genes together?

My Blog 2.0 (Dottie) said...

Hi Caridad and Sia

I've just picked up Sins of the Flesh and can't wait to read it! It looks and sounds great!

Musical instruments? I usually can pick up flute, trumpet, or clarinet and make them sing a little, not a lot, just enough that it doesn't screech. lol

Great interview, love the comments!!!

((hugs))

Dottie :)

Kat Sheridan said...

Coming in late (yes, sorry, distracted by that OTHER topic). LOL! Caridad, sounds like a wonderful, fun book! I'm terrible about coming up with the science/fantasy of gene splicing thing, though I'd love to be able to soar like an eagle.